Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Inside young Clayton Kershaw's fight to save his career and learn a unique pitch

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,686 Founders Club
As a Baseball fan, I loved the detail in this article.. Deep romance

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-young-clayton-kerhsaws-fight-120034781.html

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,391

Rabbit-hole city for me…a great description of the process of coaching world-class talent. They all have the physical tools to be there, and coaches tweaking, suggesting and buy-in for adjustments, small and large(er), is the difference between getting there and staying there…the difference between being a JAG and a HOF'er…survive, or thrive?

It is really hard to convince world-class athletes that they need to make adjustments…"I got here with what I got, why should I listen to these guys?"…

A quick one…I was running a "scout club" of prospects in the fall, to culminate with a national showcase at the end of October, held in Phoenix. They were all at a minimum D1 guys, with several MLB prospects. From memory, about 70% played at least one year of pro ball.

I had a kid with a premium arm that I taught a change-up to, and told him to NEVER throw it until he was getting paid…he threw 95-97, and (good) HS kids swinging at that can catch up to 86.

He pitched in Phoenix, in front of over 100 scouts, execs, and agents, and dropped it on one of the top hitters in the nation (future MLB'er) to punch him out, and finish a 5 inning gem. It was the only one he threw, and a buddy (and future boss) came over to the dug out and whispered to me, "That just made him another million"…it did. He went from a certain bullpen guy (2 pitches) to a first-rounder, in one pitch. He was in the show at 20, and had an 11 year MLB career…and, he lost the feel for the change-up soon after and shit-canned it…CSB

• TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,686 Founders Club

Good story Fishpo, love it…