Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle closes gifted and talented schools because they had too many white and Asian students

2»

Comments

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I actually agree with H on this one. APP was brought to Washington and Garfield because people were actively avoiding sending their kids to those schools due to the situation in that neighborhood at the time (crack gang stuff). Of course Seattle improved in the mid / late 90's and the programs at both schools elevated the schools from an academic standpoint. The money sent to those programs also attracted other kids who knew their biology class would take awesome trips while their neighborhood school biology class was lucky to have a hamster. Garfield and Wa Middle were virtually two schools in one. Yes there was mixture for extracurriculars such as gym, band, orchestra, clubs, but little else. Almost every friend I have that went the Garfield or Washington generally thinks the program was bad for the general population, with exceptions. That is they recognized Seattle / Seattle Public Schools would hold Garfield up as a beacon of excellence when in reality, a ton of students were failing. Garfield stopped reporting standardized test scores years ago, or at least last time I checked, because the results were glaring. 20 national merit scholars, a third of the school is failing. Had a classmate at UW who tutored there and he said most of the students he worked with couldn't read or write. As H pointed out the APP expanded to other schools already. Many of the people I know whose kids were in that program, honestly the kids were kind of Autistic, and struggled at college and post college when they weren't coddled by the program. If anything opening the program up to neighborhood schools likely expands the program and opportunities to black people. Lastly if being in a class with a retard makes a genius a retard, then they truly weren't a genius.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

As someone who was bussed from Magnolia to S. Seattle in the early 90's to attend the "advanced" 5th grade class, I definitely could have and should have gotten that education at the school I had been attending prior.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,599
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 6

I happened to grow up in a pretty nice area where no one really went to private school unless it was for like sports or religion.

I didn’t realize at the time how Asian my school was. South Tempe like smack dab in the middle of Motorola, microchip, Honeywell, and intel.

I ended up I think 7th in my class with a 4.0 and all AP just because some ended up figuring out how to take an extra summer class or something. Crazy.

Anyway so I went to a football banquet thing for like high achievers of various football teams around the state. Black tie event of course none of us could figure out what the fuck to do with the cummerbund before lol.

So they read off the thing while we’re up there in front of the crowd and everyone has like a 4.7 and 4.6 and some shit then it comes to me and I’m the only dickhead with a 4.0.

Point being they just grade inflate and fuck around and none of it meant shit. And this is back in 07. I’m sure it’s gotten way worse.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 6

Garfield is known for two things- Hendrix and hoops.

White liberals fucked it up like everything else.

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,175
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Quincy Jones would like a word with you.

• Options

Peggy Lipton proves he could still score.

• Options
    EverettChrisEverettChris Member Posts: 1,560
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

You’re so fucking weird.

“Now I want to be one of the guys. Peggy Lipton! Quincy Jones, girls!

• Options

What obsession?