Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Best Side A, Track #1 on an 1981 Rock Album

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Best Side A, Track #1 on an 1981 Rock Album 22 votes

In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins (Face Value)
4%
CFetters_Nacho_Lover 1 vote
Start Me Up - Rolling Stones (Tattoo You)
4%
DerekJohnson 1 vote
Don't Stop Believing - Journey (Escape)
27%
RaceBannonMad_SonTequillabiak1huskyhooliganCrispyEaterson 6 votes
Tom Sawyer - Rush (Moving Pictures)
18%
Williams3LaocoönYellowSnowRDR 4 votes
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) - AC DC
13%
Fire_Marshall_BillAlexisBleachedAnusDawg 3 votes
Mean Street - Van Halen (Fair Warning)
18%
Purple_PillsEl_KJoeEDangerouslyWoolleyDoog 4 votes
The Waiting - Tom Petty (Hard Promises)
4%
Fishpo31 1 vote
In the Dark - Billy Squire (Don't Say No)
4%
chuck 1 vote
Over the Mountain - Ozzy Osbourne (Diary of a Madman)
4%
PurpleJ 1 vote
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
0%

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 23

Fuck you DeBoer I'm not stopping

I’ve been on a critical reappraisal journey of Journey the past few years, but DeBoer stopped it dead in its tracks.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Schon is great

And it's great pop
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    Founders Club
    Start Me Up - Rolling Stones (Tattoo You)
    This was a TUFF list. I could have gone with four different songs

That was a great time for music
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Neil Schon is great

And it's great pop

The "Voice" is what appeals to me most about their sound. Dude had some serious range.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tough for me to go against VH, but Over The Mountain kicks ass and Randy Rhoads get the BleachedAnusDawg shredder supreme seal of approval on this cut. My unsolicited thoughts on other songs on the list:
    • In the Air Tonight - HATE this song. Way overused in sports and tv/movies. Kind of surprised to learn that this is the album opener.
    • Start Me Up - I can't take the repetitiveness of the lyrics and I'm on record of being a Stones hater.
    • Don't Stop Believing - Wuss song that was semi-fun 20 years ago at 1 am at the club after a night of drinking. I liked Journey more as a 15 year old than I do now which says a lot about their music, IMO.
    • Tom Sawyer - Probably Rush's best song, IMO, and it was used well in The Waterboy so it gets my stamp of approval.
    • For Those About to Rock - Badass song. Fire! AC/DC should get more pub on this board.
    • Mean Street - Great song. Couldn't vote for this one primarily because VH has other album opening tracks that are better.
    • The Waiting - Upon listening, I determined that I've definitely heard this before but didn't know the song name since I'm not a Petty fan.
    • In the Dark - Good song and I like some Squire stuff, but definitely not as good as other songs on this list.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tough for me to go against VH, but Over The Mountain kicks ass and Randy Rhoads get the BleachedAnusDawg shredder supreme seal of approval on this cut. My unsolicited thoughts on other songs on the list:

• In the Air Tonight - HATE this song. Way overused in sports and tv/movies. Kind of surprised to learn that this is the album opener. Skrong Agree
    • Start Me Up - I can't take the repetitiveness of the lyrics and I'm on record of being a Stones hater. Kill yourself. Not impressive lyrically, but one of the greatest, greasy Open G riffs ever put to tape
    • Don't Stop Believing - Wuss song that was semi-fun 20 years ago at 1 am at the club after a night of drinking. I liked Journey more as a 15 year old than I do now which says a lot about their music, IMO. Hate this song. It's right there with Sweet Caroline in cheesiness factor.
    • Tom Sawyer - Probably Rush's best song, IMO, and it was used well in The Waterboy so it gets my stamp of approval. One of the greatest first 10 secs of any song ever recorded.
    • For Those About to Rock - Badass song. Fire! AC/DC should get more pub on this board. AC DC was runner up in our battle of the bands in 2018. Plenty of love here.
    • Mean Street - Great song. Couldn't vote for this one primarily because VH has other album opening tracks that are better. Agree
    • The Waiting - Upon listening, I determined that I've definitely heard this before but didn't know the song name since I'm not a Petty fan. Good song, but not essential Tom Petty
    • In the Dark - Good song and I like some Squire stuff, but definitely not as good as other songs on this list. Agree
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Never enough Eddie
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

• In the Air Tonight - HATE this song. Way overused in sports and tv/movies. Kind of surprised to learn that this is the album opener. Skrong Agree
    • Start Me Up - I can't take the repetitiveness of the lyrics and I'm on record of being a Stones hater. Kill yourself. Not impressive lyrically, but one of the greatest, greasy Open G riffs ever put to tape
    • Don't Stop Believing - Wuss song that was semi-fun 20 years ago at 1 am at the club after a night of drinking. I liked Journey more as a 15 year old than I do now which says a lot about their music, IMO. Hate this song. It's right there with Sweet Caroline in cheesiness factor.
    • Tom Sawyer - Probably Rush's best song, IMO, and it was used well in The Waterboy so it gets my stamp of approval. One of the greatest first 10 secs of any song ever recorded.
    • For Those About to Rock - Badass song. Fire! AC/DC should get more pub on this board. AC DC was runner up in our battle of the bands in 2018. Plenty of love here.
    • Mean Street - Great song. Couldn't vote for this one primarily because VH has other album opening tracks that are better. Agree
    • The Waiting - Upon listening, I determined that I've definitely heard this before but didn't know the song name since I'm not a Petty fan. Good song, but not essential Tom Petty
    • In the Dark - Good song and I like some Squire stuff, but definitely not as good as other songs on this list. Agree
    I also just realized I'm a reh-tard and voted for the wrong song. Did not have my reads down.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The way Schon weaves the guitar into the Don't Stop Believin opening is first rate. Journey is pop and schlock and everything else the snobs say except they have one of the great rock guitarists to save them. Journey before Steve Perry was a legit 70s rock band. KISW loved them

And 13 year old Schon played with Carlos Santana
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The way Schon weaves the guitar into the Don't Stop Believin opening is first rate. Journey is pop and schlock and everything else the snobs say except they have one of the great rock guitarists to save them. Journey before Steve Perry was a legit 70s rock band. KISW loved them

I'm still in my "Feeling That Way" schlock phase. That song fucking bangs.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I heard Lukather is better though
  • Options
    LaocoönLaocoön Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 529
    Founders Club
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,869
    edited January 24
    1981 was a good year, not a great year for tunes. Kind of a transition between 70s and the second British Invasion.

People forget Bette Davis Eyes was the top song in 1981.

Don’t Stop Believing topped out at #8

The Throbber actually likes Stone in Love and Open Arms more from the same album.
  • Options
    Founders Club

1981 was a good year, not a great year for tunes. Kind of a transition between 70s and the second British Invasion.

People forget Bette Davis Eyes was the top song in 1981.

Don’t Stop Believing topped out at #8

The Throbber actually likes Stone in Love and Open Arms more from the same album.

So does the Joey
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    Founders Club
    In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins (Face Value)
    Don’t Stop Believing is the greatest karaoke jam ever.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Don’t Stop Believing is the greatest karaoke jam ever.

And Husky Stadium makes the world's greatest nachos.