Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

When did it go awry . . . he had to have known

Speculative suppositions here but as a former financial statement auditor, who was trained to expect people will behave in ways they are incentivized, I can’t help but wonder where things fell apart.

DeBoer was one win away from tying Don James’ 22 game winning streak at UW and winning a national championship. He had to have known matching this legacy was in his reach. Did he care? I think he did, but when did he mail it in ala Babushka (during the game thread I had posted Grub had done this – wish I had been right)?

How was ADHD Dannen incentivized? Was he trying to be coy and clever to make a name for himself and save the university a few quid? Did Dannen lose credibility with DeBoer early in the contract extension negotiations? Did DeBoer seek out Jimmy Sexton to gain leverage for these negotiations and to discover his true market value, much like one would seek a comparative market analysis from a realtor before deciding to list a home for sale? This is my hypothesis. That is, I believe DeBoer wanted stay at Washington, but what he discovered in the process of dealing with Dannen raised doubt about UW’s commitment to Husky Football. If so, was this mostly on Dannen or was Dannen the messenger for the university’s administrators?

I don’t know anything about DeBoer’s connections in the coaching circles, but surely he had to know engaging Sexton, even if only for the altruistic goal of securing a better deal at UW, increased the likelihood he would be pitched a new coaching gig. He may not have known early on that Saban planned to retire. But one thing that is disturbing is comments I read that DeBoer may have made his decision isolated from family and trusted advisors (i.e., a financial fiduciary, attorney, CPA, brand consultant, etc. – he has his own brand). This too is supposition.

It seems plausible that from the time DeBoer engaged Sexton to the natty game, negotiations with UW had broken down to the point that DeBoer no longer believed he would get what he is worth, not secure for his staff what they were worth, nor have the resources necessary to return Husky Football to legacy status. No doubt too, Sexton, ever a promoter, planted seeds of dubiety. Sexton may have known enough about Dannen to exploit the situation to his own agenda.

I admit this is all “I don’t know.”

But until facts show otherwise, DeBoer, Dannen, and Sexton are PARIAHS.

Comments

• Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

that's a lot of questions

Welcome to the mind of an accountant. Masters degree at UW no less.

Accountants are different. You know the difference between an extroverted accountant and an introverted one? The extroverted accountant looks at your shoes when talking to you; the introverted one looks at his or her own shoes.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,031
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Alexis said:

My conspiracy theory.

Sometime early in this season, probably after the Texas loss, Saban realized he was not into it anymore.

At the same time Dewhore was running a train on the league. Saban tells Sexton, hey, that fat guy up there is doing stuff not even my mentor James ever did. He’d make a great replacement.

So sexton realizes this small time fish has no real representation and introduces himself. Says he can make him rich.

Alabama isn’t totally sold yet so he doesn’t lay all the cards out there but they begin to form a relationship . Then Dewhore beats Oregon. He’s the hottest thing in the country, and Sexton lets him know Alabama is his if he keeps this up.

Dewhore still has a slight bit of integrity left at this time, so he has trouble focusing. The product goes to shit the next couple of weeks (ASU and Stanford)

Luckily, Penix and DJ pull him out of his malaise, he gets his wife on board with the move south, and they finish strong enough to roll tide.

This thing was over before we ever had a chance.

i dont think this is too far off. i think you mix in what homebrew was talkin about up top and you got a stew going.

deboer knows how to win on and off the field.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Alexis said:

My conspiracy theory.

Sometime early in this season, probably after the Texas loss, Saban realized he was not into it anymore.

At the same time Dewhore was running a train on the league. Saban tells Sexton, hey, that fat guy up there is doing stuff not even my mentor James ever did. He’d make a great replacement.

So sexton realizes this small time fish has no real representation and introduces himself. Says he can make him rich.

Alabama isn’t totally sold yet so he doesn’t lay all the cards out there but they begin to form a relationship . Then Dewhore beats Oregon. He’s the hottest thing in the country, and Sexton lets him know Alabama is his if he keeps this up.

Dewhore still has a slight bit of integrity left at this time, so he has trouble focusing. The product goes to shit the next couple of weeks (ASU and Stanford)

Luckily, Penix and DJ pull him out of his malaise, he gets his wife on board with the move south, and they finish strong enough to roll tide.

DeBoer wasn't Alabama's first choice. He worked hard to stay in the running though.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,007
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alexis said:

My conspiracy theory.

DeBoer wasn't Alabama's first choice. He worked hard to stay in the running though.
    Maybe so. Maybe no. But the way it played out sure did net Sexton the most money it could have. If one of the other guys takes the job, he can’t play them all for raises. I think this worked out exactly like he wanted it to.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

I'll play...

As a former college coach (different sport), this is what I imagine could have happened...

*DISCLAIMER: I do not know when Jimmy Sexton was brought into the mix, and am too lazy to look it up

Deboer hit the jackpot with Jimmy Sexton...a perfect confluence of performance, resources and inside information that put him in a position to take his dream job, one that (allegedly) was referenced as "One of two jobs I would leave here for", the other being an NFL gig.

Without Jimmy, he may have gotten an interview, but this is back channel shit. You don't "apply" or "show interest" for jobs like Bama..."Don't call us, we'll call you"...And, they did.

For those wondering how Sark and others keep failing upward, look no further...Jimmy is really fucking good at what he does...

Deboer did what 99% of "us" would do...he took his dream job. He's not an alum. He's not from the Northwest.

This (or any other scenario, frankly) doesn't lessen the feelings of betrayal and disloyalty, but these people are in a profession that damn near guarantees that you will eventually hear the words "We would like to thank you for your efforts"...I think DeBoer was conflicted, with the timing, with the suddenness, it was right in his face, and he made a business decision...

It massively sucks for the kids, but it's not about the kids at the end of the day, anymore. It is a business. With the portal, being a college head coach is comparable to being an NFL GM/coach, if all NFL players were on one-year contracts..."Who do we have, who do we want, who is available, who do we want to dump"...every year.

This is my opinion, in absence of facts, which will most-likely never come out. Fire away.

TL/DR

Begrudgingly chinned because there’s a lot of truth here. For me, at the end of the day, the fuck was 60 minutes from everything 4 days ago. Fuck a dream job!!!!! The whole reason for a fucking dream job is to win a national title. He coulda done better than a dream job, he coulda won where nobody thought you could. But nah, fuck all that, fuck all those kids that took you that far. Bolt for the first opportunity that you get.
    THE opportunity, if in fact Bama was the dream...agree with the rest. Had "we" won on Monday, he probably would have stayed, but we didn't, and he didn't. I would be sad to think that this had an impact on Monday, while realizing it probably did. He shot his shot, and the jury is out on whether he made the right call, for him. Everything is so fluid, and the timeline is lightning-quick. It was more-than-likely his only shot at his dream job (if Bama is it), and not many would turn it down, not withstanding the money-shower that Lanning, Norvell, Sark, Freshwater, Dabo(?) received by turning it down. He left a spot where averaging 9 wins a season will get you a statue, to a place where winning 5 natties gets you 3rd place in Bama lore...