Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Not what I envisioned

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
Have to point out all the positives. Incredible two year run. A sugar bowl loss would have been would have been a double gut punch. So much to be proud of. The expectations have been established for this program moving forward. Deboer has set the standard. The standard is playing for national titles.

Deboer 14-0 at home. 25-3 overall. Can’t ask for much more. Title run in year two.

Now the game.

I watched it from the Washington end zone.
What’s it gonna take to get Carson to play the entire game. Tupatala struggled all night. Goforth didn’t play enough. Asa had one good play all night. Trice was a non factor. All that said, Michigan had 8 possessions with only giving up 6 pts. Giving up a 170 yards rushing in the first quarter is unacceptable. 2nd and 14 you bottled up Edwards and then all the sudden he busts it for a TD.

Penix was off all night. He had time to throw. So many missed opportunities. Will Nixon’s drop was gut wrenching. DJ being hobbled clearly hurt the playbook but it felt like they could overcome it. Not the night you want to be out of sync.

Tybo and Culp were the only guys that broke a tackle last night. Michigan are elite tacklers and made guys look pedestrian. McMillan and Polk should absolutely come back.

Must adds.
RB depth. Linebacker. War daddy dlineman. Safeties and corners. Offensive line tackles.

Hopefully we get news on the contract soon.

Comments

• louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 350
    The defense gave up too many big plays. That was a theme all year. And agreed on Bruener not playing enough. All the guy does is make plays and the coaches can't seem to find a way to get him on the field for a defense that's in desperate need of playmakers. Maddening.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,580 Swaye's Wigwam
    Drew Fowler made plays. He should get more looks
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

Michigan secondary tackled like death row dawgs, beating screens, tackling in space. That was the difference.

Defense wins championships and Michigan was the best team Washington has played in a long time. They are better than any PAC 10 team since Pete Carroll had USC cranked up, and better than any OOC team the Huskies have played since Alabama in the CFP. Michigan flipped the script from the 1992 Rose Bowl not that they are the 1991 Huskies, but they did bring a test that was similar to what they faced in 1992. Tough loss to be sure but not completely unexpected.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Our defense had 3 good players. Trice, Ulo, and Tuli. The rest were mediocre to completely forgetable. Our D line depth was horrid this year especially considering the ratings of some of them coming out of high school. Can’t remember any of them making a single play the past couple of years.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,091

Our defense had 3 good players. Trice, Ulo, and Tuli. The rest were mediocre to completely forgetable. Our D line depth was horrid this year especially considering the ratings of some of them coming out of high school. Can’t remember any of them making a single play the past couple of years.

I'd say two, don't know if I'd include Ulo in there. I'd say he was a second tier player behind Tuli and Trice.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,307 Swaye's Wigwam

I'd replace Ulo with Muhammad. Trice and Muhammad were far away the best to me problem was a pass rusher and CB aren't that valuable against a team that barely wants to throw and I think they ran a lot at Trice early to try and force him to have to stay home.
  • bigccbigcc Member Posts: 896
    Trice had pressure a couple of times didn't he?

Even if I'm thinking of someone else, it's worth noting that Mccarthy had a whopping 18 pass attempts.

Agree with pretty much everything else though
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,582 Founders Club
    jecornel said:

Have to point out all the positives. Incredible two year run. A sugar bowl loss would have been would have been a double gut punch. So much to be proud of. The expectations have been established for this program moving forward. Deboer has set the standard. The standard is playing for national titles.

Deboer 14-0 at home. 25-3 overall. Can’t ask for much more. Title run in year two.

Now the game.

What’s it gonna take to get Carson to play the entire game. Tupatala struggled all night. Goforth didn’t play enough. Asa had one good play all night. Trice was a non factor. All that said, Michigan had 8 possessions with only giving up 6 pts. Giving up a 170 yards rushing in the first quarter is unacceptable. 2nd and 14 you bottled up Edwards and then all the sudden he busts it for a TD.

Penix was off all night. He had time to throw. So many missed opportunities. Will Nixon’s drop was gut wrenching. DJ being hobbled clearly hurt the playbook but it felt like they could overcome it. Not the night you want to be out of sync.

Tybo and Culp were the only guys that broke a tackle last night. Michigan are elite tacklers and made guys look pedestrian. McMillan and Polk should absolutely come back.

Must adds.
    RB depth. Linebacker. War daddy dlineman. Safeties and corners. Offensive line tackles.

I don’t get it and haven’t gotten it for two years now.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

jecornel said:

Now the game.

Must adds.

Bruener isn't the most athletic and plays a bit stiff sometimes but guy has been a decent tackler and is willing to initiate contact inside, especially against the run. Its insane that he doesn't get more time on the field.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

jecornel said:

Now the game.

Must adds.

Bruener isn't the most athletic and plays a bit stiff sometimes but guy has been a decent tackler and is willing to initiate contact inside, especially against the run. Its insane that he doesn't get more time on the field.
    He seems way faster sideline to sideline than any other linebacker that plays. He is a little slight for an inside linebacker if anything.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,788
    Houhusky said:

jecornel said:

Now the game.

Must adds.

Yet was the 2nd leading tackler
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,919 Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

jecornel said:

Now the game.

Must adds.

He seems way faster sideline to sideline than any other linebacker that plays. He is a little slight for an inside linebacker if anything.
    So was BBK, but he still made plays.
  • HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,257

Michigan secondary tackled like death row dawgs, beating screens, tackling in space. That was the difference.

Definitely need to improve tackling from our D.

Need more KamFab/Bruener tackling from the team.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,616 Standard Supporter

Definitely need to improve tackling from our D.

Need more KamFab/Bruener tackling from the team.
    Whatever Michigan does to teach tackling or recruited to get tacklers, do that. They were a great tackling team.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849

The defense played well enough to win. The offense choked

The D that gave up 300 yards on the ground and never touched McCarthy. That defense?
    bigcc said:

Trice had pressure a couple of times didn't he?

Even if I'm thinking of someone else, it's worth noting that Mccarthy had a whopping 18 pass attempts.

Agree with pretty much everything else though

Trice got a couple pressures. Not really his game though. Hard to rush too much when you know the offense is barely gonna pass and get the ball out quick when they do.
    edited January 10
    Kaepsknee said:

The defense played well enough to win. The offense choked

The D that gave up 300 yards on the ground and never touched McCarthy. That defense?
    They actually got a sack on him the play before the first TD run. I think in a 5-man front. Then got out of it immediately. Tunuufi got McCarthy down on a hand slap on his foot that could have caused a fumble.

They bailed out the offense after the second half opening int then gave them the ball back before finally giving up a score again. I honestly kind of thought that if UW could have scored down 27-13 the defense had a good chance at getting them the ball back.