Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited December 2023
    Which brings me back to the point I made earlier… players like Polk and McMillan can make a shit load of bag money in college or face the possibility of being benched and or cut in the NFL. Mario Bailey was drafted in the 5th round he was cut.
  • houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 209

Which brings me back to the point I made earlier… players like Polk and McMillan can make a shit load of bag money in college or face the possibility of being benched and or cut in the NFL. Mario Bailey was drafted in the 5th round he was cut.

Yeah, there's a real compelling case for both of those guys to come back. Pre-NIL I think it's a lock that they're gone. No warning.
    edited December 2023

Mario Bailey was also 5'7" and 160 pounds
    But someone drafted him right??? Don’t forget Coach Roberts was coaching for Houston at that time too (It was Al Roberts who convinced Cincinnati to draft Dillon)
    And most importantly he wasn’t cut for being small .what GM would waste a pick on those stats that are clearly on paper Derek? Come on man you are way more intelligent than that to make such a non thought out statement
  • Postal91Postal91 Member Posts: 1,803
    If you are not in the first round, depending on the school I imagine you can get money to compete against that. I can only imagine how much money is being funneled from Phil Knight to players. I’d be doing the same thing.

I feel this takes pressure off recruiting, because it allows high talent players to be losses, then gained again in the transfer portal. I miss the days of getting Shaq and celebrating every day like those guys were the future, but now the portal can change all that.

The problem; I don’t feel like we have the biggest volume of cash flow from boosters/tyee to match that of others. Hopefully I’m wrong, but dang, what an opportunity to keep/get talent.

If I were a 2nd to late pick and I’d make more money doing what I’ve loved at my school for another year before going into a major pool of players at the No Fun League, I’d probably stay too.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,911 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023

I think NIL is actually going to increase the quality of play in college because the 3-4 round players that maybe would have left early will stay and make the same amount of money. We'll get more seniors playing in college.

But, yeah, guys like Williams and Harrison are taking the NFL money.

It’s absolutely going to increase the quality of play in college. I think it’ll also increase the quality of players going into the NFL because guys will be more developed and have more experience when they hit the draft. You also won’t have guys who grew up with nothing trying to jump to the NFL before they should, going undrafted, and ending up fucked. I think this is going to be a positive across the board. The only exception is that lower level schools are going to be treated as feeder programs, which sucks ass for those schools, but winners win. It’s going to be a process getting it dialed in, and there’s definitely going to be an arms race aspect to it, but it’s going to increase the quality of football played at the highest level.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,767 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023

I’m calling bullshit on that. No way schools are coming up with that kind of cash to keep a guy for one year. Especially not a WR. That would be financial suicide.

I agree that it makes total sense for guys who are mid round picks. It takes some of the financial pressure off and makes betting on themselves less risky. Especially for a guy like McMillan who was hurt most of the year. That said, if he wants to go ham the next two games, pop off, win a natty, and be a 2nd round pick, then more power to him.

My understanding is it’s not the schools. It’s the collectives that are helping to “negotiate” these deals. Primes boys for example are on Amazon commercials and then the family commercial for some fast food place, forget which one. I’m sure they have others. I saw about 4 dudes in a celsius commercial during one of the games. Then rome and Penix getting that adidas money.

The money is there just for the top top most marketable guys.

To your point, it’s a tougher decision for the mid round guys.

I would lean towards going with #2 because you have to get to that second contract sooner than later.

My two cents.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,137

If you're going to knock 5'7" and 160 pounds, then I'm out.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,424 Founders Club

But someone drafted him right??? Don’t forget Coach Roberts was coaching for Houston at that time too (It was Al Roberts who convinced Cincinnati to draft Dillon)
    And most importantly he wasn’t cut for being small .what GM would waste a pick on those stats that are clearly on paper Derek? Come on man you are way more intelligent to make such a non thought out statement
    I just looked it up. Mario was drafted in the 6th round by Houston.

Number of NFL games played: 0
    Number of NFL receptions: 0
    Number of NFL TD receptions: 0

You're not really making a compelling point.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,424 Founders Club

I think NIL is actually going to increase the quality of play in college because the 3-4 round players that maybe would have left early will stay and make the same amount of money. We'll get more seniors playing in college.

But, yeah, guys like Williams and Harrison are taking the NFL money.

It’s absolutely going to increase the quality of play in college. I think it’ll also increase the quality of players going into the NFL because guys will be more developed and have more experience when they hit the draft. You also won’t have guys who grew up with nothing trying to jump to the NFL before they should, going undrafted, and ending up fucked. I think this is going to be a positive across the board. The only exception is that lower level schools are going to be treated as feeder programs, which sucks ass for those schools, but winners win. It’s going to be a process getting it dialed in, and there’s definitely going to be an arms race aspect to it, but it’s going to increase the quality of football played at the highest level.
    College basketball and the NBA are both failing because of one and done. Nobody knows the players and they spend time in the NBA on the bench instead of starring in college

I understand they get paid great doing this. It is what it is

College football delivers ready made stars with name recognition. And now they get paid legally
    Win win
    What a great point
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,911 Swaye's Wigwam

I’m calling bullshit on that. No way schools are coming up with that kind of cash to keep a guy for one year. Especially not a WR. That would be financial suicide.

I agree that it makes total sense for guys who are mid round picks. It takes some of the financial pressure off and makes betting on themselves less risky. Especially for a guy like McMillan who was hurt most of the year. That said, if he wants to go ham the next two games, pop off, win a natty, and be a 2nd round pick, then more power to him.

My understanding is it’s not the schools. It’s the collectives that are helping to “negotiate” these deals. Primes boys for example are on Amazon commercials and then the family commercial for some fast food place, forget which one. I’m sure they have others. I saw about 4 dudes in a celsius commercial during one of the games. Then rome and Penix getting that adidas money.

The money is there just for the top top most marketable guys.

To your point, it’s a tougher decision for the mid round guys.

I would lean towards going with #2 because you have to get to that second contract sooner than later.

My two cents.
    I know it’s not the schools themselves, but you know they have a hand in it. What’s a better use of NIL money: $25 million to one guy or a couple here, couple there to guys that are portalling in and improving your team? If you have unlimited money then whatever, but few schools out there, if any, have that kind of support. I get that Marvin Harrison is more marketable, so he’d command more money, but I’m not sure it makes sense on the field.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,240 Swaye's Wigwam
    Postal91 said:

If you are not in the first round, depending on the school I imagine you can get money to compete against that. I can only imagine how much money is being funneled from Phil Knight to players. I’d be doing the same thing.

I feel this takes pressure off recruiting, because it allows high talent players to be losses, then gained again in the transfer portal. I miss the days of getting Shaq and celebrating every day like those guys were the future, but now the portal can change all that.

The problem; I don’t feel like we have the biggest volume of cash flow from boosters/tyee to match that of others. Hopefully I’m wrong, but dang, what an opportunity to keep/get talent.

If I were a 2nd to late pick and I’d make more money doing what I’ve loved at my school for another year before going into a major pool of players at the No Fun League, I’d probably stay too.

The cash flow is interesting. If the marketing actually works, then in theory it's limitless as it would pay for itself multiple times over and it would only escalate.

My guess is that we are in the bubble phase of all of this. The nerds will eventually determine that the vast majority of marketing dollars did not pay for itself, and there will be a big pullback across the board, not just here, but everywhere. The spend will get more targeted over time.

• PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,264 Swaye's Wigwam
    It’s going to make college football even more top heavy.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,240 Swaye's Wigwam

In the long run, I agree. Short run, probably more parity. Might only take one bad NIL deal outcome for a mid size spender to say, "fuck it, we're out."
    edited December 2023

And most importantly he wasn’t cut for being small .what GM would waste a pick on those stats that are clearly on paper Derek? Come on man you are way more intelligent to make such a non thought out statement
    I just looked it up. Mario was drafted in the 6th round by Houston.

Number of NFL games played: 0
    Number of NFL receptions: 0
    Number of NFL TD receptions: 0

You're not really making a compelling point.
    Come on man… being drafted is being drafted. Someone had all the measurements and drafted him. They scrutinized everything including being 162 lbs. This is exactly my point he was drafted and cut and there were reasons why that have nothing to do with being 5’6 160 pounds. Some people are made for NFL some are not . They have the opportunity to make a ton of NIL money now to stay in school , rather than risk being drafted undrafted and being cut . Billy Joe would have made more money NIL than he did as a pro
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,543 Founders Club

As long as we're heavy

@CFetters_Nacho_Lover