Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penix playing terrible

Comments

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    OreDawg said:

But with us still just winning and winning makes me feel better about next season.

Winners win.

Next season? I guess if we get a mobile QB, a 6'4" WR, 2 LBs, 2 DL, 2 safeties and 2 corners in the portal next season might be ok. If DM is the QB, this team wins 8 or 9 max.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    At a certain point when does it become he is playing terrible vs he was playing completely out of his mind and has now leveled out?
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    Founders Club

At a certain point when does it become he is playing terrible vs he was playing completely out of his mind and has now leveled out?

The variances are two far from each other IMO. I think His leveled out is closer to playing out of his mind. We may not hear about it until after the season or never but something is off. I’ll beat this drum until it breaks.
    He looks scared in the pocket not that he has ever looked comfortable but he almost never runs and lately he's throwing off his back foot and looking like he has almost no confidence. He's a slight build and won't last in the NFL playing like this.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    Founders Club
    gmo said:

it is the worst he has looked in two full seasons doing this.

clearly he's not 100%... physically, mentally... whatever the fuck it is he doesn't look close to the same.

if by some miracle someone can fix he and McMillan ahead of the game Friday we can win this. That doesn't happen i have a very hard time thinking this game is even close, let alone a W.

I should have actually mentioned DJ as well.

3 of our top 4 offensive weapons are dealing with something physically or mentally.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    Swaye's Wigwam

He played completely out of his mind for the entirety of 2022, and then did so this year up until the ASU game. I'm inclined to believe that that's his steady state.

But I'm becoming more convinced that Grubb has designed an offense that is keyed on him playing with very little deviation from that elite play - throws across the field, supplemented by a high hit rate on downfield shots, and converting long third down conversions if the above didn't work - all of that became routine when the offense was humming.

You see this in the NFL pretty regularly - these high difficulty throws are necessary to beat the elite athletes that populate defensive rosters, and as a result even an MVP is going to have his handful of clunkers in a season where not everything is hitting. But you don't see this in college because defenses are vastly inferior and a Heisman level QB is still given plenty of easy completions with simple scheming - ala Bo Nix. For whatever reason Grubb has not given Penix this release valve, and an overwhelming amount of pressure has been put on him to play at 100% of his ability, where even a 99% performance will gum up the entire offense. And I think last night was the culmination of a long overdue meltdown from Mike.
    POTM
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

He played completely out of his mind for the entirety of 2022, and then did so this year up until the ASU game. I'm inclined to believe that that's his steady state.

But I'm becoming more convinced that Grubb has designed an offense that is keyed on him playing with very little deviation from that elite play - throws across the field, supplemented by a high hit rate on downfield shots, and converting long third down conversions if the above didn't work - all of that became routine when the offense was humming.

You see this in the NFL pretty regularly - these high difficulty throws are necessary to beat the elite athletes that populate defensive rosters, and as a result even an MVP is going to have his handful of clunkers in a season where not everything is hitting. But you don't see this in college because defenses are vastly inferior and a Heisman level QB is still given plenty of easy completions with simple scheming - ala Bo Nix. For whatever reason Grubb has not given Penix this release valve, and an overwhelming amount of pressure has been put on him to play at 100% of his ability, where even a 99% performance will gum up the entire offense. And I think last night was the culmination of a long overdue meltdown from Mike.
    The biggest variable for us has always been Penix health. You’d hope they can game plan for him to move the ball when he’s only 81%.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I am guessing he has been banged up for half the season and may have aggravated something in the crappy weather against Oregon State. @RoadTrip made a good point about throwing off his back foot more and that also tells me he has something going on.

It also seems like defenses have adjusted better to UW's motions, audibles, and different looks. Maybe the secondaries are understanding the keys Penix is looking at when the receivers are running routes and reacting accordingly since more passes have been more closely contested.

McMillan mostly back is great since Polk has had a bit of the dropsies / yips lately. DJ didn't look 100% yesterday and maybe we'll see more of Tybo against Oregon.

What helps is that Oregon's secondary isn't the best and Evan Williams (portaled from Fresno State) has a massive club on his hand since he probably broke it or sprained it badly. He's a very good player so that thankfully reduces his effectiveness.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,577
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2023

What was the postgame with his head in the cabinet then sneaking off the field with a couple jackets over his head?

Not sure. At first I got angry thinking he was pulling a Browning and pouting like a bitch (which wasn’t fair).

Now I’m wondering if he was injured again and he was in pain and didn’t want the fact to distract from the field goal.
    That’s what I thought too… he has worked hard to rehab and make it through painful recovery and through his own fault of holding the ball and taking a sack reinjured himself and is worried about it is my take
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

What was the postgame with his head in the cabinet then sneaking off the field with a couple jackets over his head?

Perfectly normal behavior, you see that all the time in college football.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

If duck can play with a stupid club on his hand, why can’t Turner? (I refuse to call him Cher or whatever one-name moniker he prefers.)

I’m thinking he quit.
  • Options
    DoogerMcFarlandDoogerMcFarland Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 739
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Penix had plenty of “zip.” Hock Bruard mentioned it several times.

I think he was talking about Bo Nix
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not sure. At first I got angry thinking he was pulling a Browning and pouting like a bitch (which wasn’t fair).

Now I’m wondering if he was injured again and he was in pain and didn’t want the fact to distract from the field goal.
    Since he's never shown any behavior like yesterday, I think on 1st throw into endzone that landed in middle of everyone final dive he took a good shot to rib area reaggravating it again.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,348
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2023

TheHB said:

Penix had plenty of “zip.” Hock Bruard mentioned it several times.

I think he was talking about Bo Nix
    No, he was saying it yesterday and remarking how fast the ball gets to the receiver because it’s on such a straight line — meaning high velocity. He even showed it during a replay.