Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Caple article on KDB losses

Missed this last week but found it to be one of the most interesting articles written on KDB so far:

https://www.onmontlake.com/p/kalen-deboer-has-100-wins-but-he

Takeaways:

In his 3 losses at Sioux Falls, he was quick to point to weather conditions and playing surfaces as being major issues in 2 of them. Reading it today and being there in Corvallis on Saturday, something about it felt ominous for future seasons, like we are guaranteed to kicked in the dick due to the normal weather we experience in the fall around here. Or not, but still.

His first 3 losses at Fresno in 2020: COVID. Let him walk you through that…Obviously all teams dealt with uncertainly and disruption in 2020, but the burden on new HC is definitely higher.

3 losses in 2021: @ Oregon by a score. Loses at Hawaii after plane trouble had them land past midnight Saturday morning in Hawaii. Boise blowout, second worst loss of his career.

2 losses last year, makes no excuses but talks about what it felt like and how the team responded afterwards.

It’s pretty interesting reading his perspective on these. You truly get the sense that deep down he believes he should be 105-6 when you parse a few of the games.

Really only been drubbed twice in his career. 55-0 in his second season to eventual NAIA national title (Sioux Falls first season moving to NAIA). Boise in ‘21 and he talks about how it got away from them by having to go for it in their own territory to keep pace.

I also think there’s some confidence in a coach willing to sit down mid-season to discuss the times he fell short with a random reporter.

Winners win.

Comments

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,623 Standard Supporter
    Self reflection and a drive to continuously improvement. Key leadership traits. LFG
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member Posts: 1,483
    MelloDawg said:

It’s the classic sports cliche: “Our coach is 101-11 but should be 106-6.”

Every corch can play this game for sure. It was interesting reading it how many games had ancillary factors that he thought were important enough to mention (half of his losses), compared to just “they had a great QB that converted a ton of 3rd Downs in the second half.”
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    MelloDawg said:

It’s the classic sports cliche: “Our coach is 101-11 but should be 106-6.”

We call that the Oregon special
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,609 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I saw that one yesterday and thought it was good too. He's making some excuses I suppose, but who doesn't? Some might instead call it context.

I love that he still stews over losses from years ago in NAIA to the point that he's still making excuses for them.

DeBoer has never lost more than 3 games in a season, so we will never go worse than 9-3 in the B1G moving forward.

Sure.gif
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,120 Founders Club

chuck said:

I saw that one yesterday and thought it was good too. He's making some excuses I suppose, but who doesn't? Some might instead call it context.

I love that he still stews over losses from years ago in NAIA to the point that he's still making excuses for them.

DeBoer has never lost more than 3 games in a season, so we will never go worse than 9-3 in the B1G moving forward.

Sure.gif
    Anyone with a half a brain will want him fired after that 4th loss. Cook it !!!

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

DeBoer would have been favored by 7 on a neutral field in all of his losses

it's science.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,605 Founders Club

DeBoer would have been favored by 7 on a neutral field in all of his losses

Your love of this neutral field thing is reminiscent of a few years ago when you loved the "no warning, just gone" thing for several months