Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Random Monday stream-of-consciousness thoughts post-Oregon

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
- I am stepping down as VP of the Giles hate club. Not shit-talking him now after he came up huge multiple times, in his first CFB game in over a year, thrust into a massive role with multiple WRs down. He didn’t have time to be rusty. He also had a monster pancake on Dorlus on a 1H run play and was clearly out for blood.

- Dillon fucking Johnson. I hope the doubters are true believers now. Obviously he’s our best here since MMFG, and his Leach pedigree makes him (along with Westover) the greatest checkdown option Penix could want. If we rode him more in the 2H the game could have been less of a heart attack. He’s only a junior too. On that note, Grubb didn’t call his best game, but it’s telling when our expectation for him is to be literally perfect. I still love Grubb.

- Defensive tackling is massively improved, especially from the safeties. Almost zero explosive plays for Oregon, although it felt like the Ducks were playcalling like they didn’t trust Nix beyond his 1st read. Who will be the winner of this year’s everyone-thought-this-guy-sucked-but-with-a-real-HC-people-improve award? KamFab maybe?

- Powell is pretty great when he's up close to the LOS. Several monster plays from him. #25 Elijah Jackson had 1 (nearly 2, borderline late hit on the last drive) back-breaking penalties, was getting picked on mercilessly, but (and this is a strong reflection of KDB’s culture imo) he never went into the tank or turned into a headcase. He was still laying hits in the running game and improved in pass D as the game went on (helps Trump imo). Muhammad is who we thought he was – generally played well – although sleeper agent Franklin got him a few times. Which I guess is expected because the turncoat is a great WR.

- As much as I want(ed) Lanning to bust and flame out, it’s clear he’s not the UGA cheerleader assistant I hoped he was. Oregon is fucking solid at almost all levels. I honestly didn’t think his decisions were that controversial. He’s aggressive and he isn’t a bitch, which I’m sure makes fans/recruits want to ride with him regardless. Both fanbases can mutually brace for the never-ending speculative talk around where Lanning and KDB might bounce to this offseason (A&M fans already hyping both of them up). At least for now, I think both stay.

- What else can be said about Penix or Rome? Two generational superstars. Penix is clearly the best UW QB I’ve ever seen in my lifetime, and while I have deep nostalgia for Reggie – give me Rome.

- My teenage years and most of my 20s witnessed Oregon assblasting us in every way possible. It’s still wildly surreal to see us* rip their innards out two years in a row now in games with breathtakingly high stakes for both sides. So yeah, I ascended into a higher plane of doog existence. If you’re a UW fan and weren’t over the moon with that game, why even emotionally invest in CFB?

Sounds like I care.

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good hawt takes here, Gladdy.

I'm in the camp here that thinks the Lanning 4th and 3 thing here is being blown a bit out of proportion. I can see the logic either way here. Seems to be their odds of converting that are like 70% or higher and if you do that it's game over. If you punt, it's not like your giving the ball back to Jake Browning with 2:00 on the clock. You're punting to the Heisman Trophy front runner with an All American WR. Overall, I think Lanning and company might have called a better game than us? based on Grubb's second half decisions.

Meet me behind Kane Hall @creepycoug if you want to discuss the above in more detail.

But Lanning's challenge now is that he's 0-3 against UW and Beaves. I do think he decisions in those 2022 games were far more suspect.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I'm in the camp here that thinks the Lanning 4th and 3 thing here is being blown a bit out of proportion. I can see the logic either way here. Seems to be their odds of converting that are like 70% or higher and if you do that it's game over. If you punt, it's not like your giving the ball back to Jake Browning with 2:00 on the clock. You're punting to the Heisman Trophy front runner with an All American WR. Overall, I think Lanning and company might have called a better game than us? based on Grubb's second half decisions.

Meet me behind Kane Hall @creepycoug if you want to discuss the above in more detail.

But Lanning's challenge now is that he's 0-3 against UW and Beaves. I do think he decisions in those 2022 games were far more suspect.

1. Nix running like he did last year? Maybe. Don James still punts on that play. I like you, but I trust him more than the experts here.

2. I was standing there waiting for you all day and you didn't show up. I figured you were a scured. I also had a cigar for you. You blew it.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

1. Nix running like he did last year? Maybe. Don James still punts on that play. I like you, but I trust him more than the experts here.

2. I was standing there waiting for you all day and you didn't show up. I figured you were a scured. I also had a cigar for you. You blew it.
    People forget @creepycoug that Don James resigned over 30 years ago and Tom Osborne won 3 national titles after that date running the option.

The game has changed a lot since then and offense is king and hard to stop.

Also, don't turn this forum into a palace of lies. I stopped by William Gates Hall on Saturday and didn't see any swarthy Cubans.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2023

People forget @creepycoug that Don James resigned over 30 years ago and Tom Osborne won 3 national titles after that date running the option.

The game has changed a lot since then and offense is king and hard to stop.

Also, don't turn this forum into a palace of lies. I stopped by William Gates Hall on Saturday and didn't see any swarthy Cubans.
    Well there was your first mistake. Apparently you were too drunk to find your way back to Kane Hall, the site of my torture by the lettermen.

Remind me by how many points Oregon lost? And remind me what a couple of field goals add up to? You were a history major, so maybe the maff isnt' fair?

Don James, and Dong James, are both laffing at you right this very moment. They say "Listen to Creepycoug. He's a sage."
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,656
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Great points. Some I've been forgetting to mention.

The defensive tackling and positioning was night and day compared to last year. They kept Irving in brackets and were very good at tackling one of the hardest RBs to tackle you'll ever have to defend. Limiting him to shorter runs was also huge. With his body it's really hard to have to carry the ball that much and run the way he does where if they were giving up chunk plays he could have gotten away with a lot less carries.

It's unfortunate news that Lanning seems to be worst a guy who can mostly steer a well-oiled ship. I've talked a lot of shit about Nix but he was impressive (even if he wasn't perfect) and how UW and Oregon replace Nix and Penix will dictate the near future of the rivalry no matter who is coaching either team.