Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

MSU Game Thoughts

DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
I've seen early lines on the MSU @ UO game as Oregon being 13-15 point favorites. This surprised me a little bit, but I'm not very familiar with Michigan State (how many players they lost from last year, etc). Still, I thought it would be a little closer than that.

So wanted to ask my quooks what your thoughts were? Mariota seems tanned, rested, and ready, but will the MSU defense be good enough to give the ducks trouble?

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    This comes down to coaching. Take MSU and the points.

7. Profit!
  • Options
    TheGlove said:

This comes down to coaching. Take MSU and the points.

7. Profit!

Glad to see you're still hanging on to step seven.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'd take the 15 points and run to the bank with it ...

Helfrich is no Chip Kelly
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2014
    UO's run defense is like swiss cheese.

I just don't know enough about MSU's defense though....MSU (i like to call them that) has to score a minimum of 28 points to even stand a snowballs chance.
  • Options
    HuskyJW said:

I just don't know enough about MSU's defense though....MSU (i like to call them that) has to score a minimum of 28 points to even stand a snowballs chance.

I'm in the same boat...was hoping someone had done some research on MSU so I wouldn't have to. They did just fine against tOSU last year, but that was last year and they could have lost some key players.
  • Options
    Michigan State brings back a lot of their skill position players on offense, lose most of their defense, and will be replacing a lot on both lines.

Normally, I'd say that that's a massive problem for Sparty.

Dantonio's record at Sparty since 2008:

9-4
    6-7
    11-2
    11-3
    7-6
    13-1

Tells me that generally speaking he's got his program to reload when they've lost people. I doubt that there's a massive talent level dropoff and the Sparty defense has been highly ranked the last 3-4 years.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HuskyJW said:

to stay within 15?
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2014
    They lost most of their defense. Oregon plays at home. Very good chance of winning this game if everyone shows up to play. Word is the defensive line are pissed after last year's debacles and are beefing up. But MSU is an intimidating team. Having beat both Ohio St. and Stanford, it will be a monumental early season challenge. Oregon has balls, unlike some teams. O doesn't shy away from taking on teams like LSU and MSU early in the season. Fuck USC. Volumus Alabama.
  • Options

Oregon has balls, unlike some teams. O doesn't shy away from taking on teams like LSU and MSU early in the season. Fuck USC. Volumus Alabama.

South Dakota and Wyoming appreciate your respect
  • Options
    But I'd swap Helfrich for their coach any day. He seems tough as nails.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

Oregon has balls, unlike some teams. O doesn't shy away from taking on teams like LSU and MSU early in the season. Fuck USC. Volumus Alabama.

South Dakota and Wyoming appreciate your respect

You're certainly saucy, and laconic these days. Who the fuck hacked your account?

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    They have one of the best defensive minds in all of football as their head coach and Oregon has a guy that got to work with one of the best offensive minds in all of football. The Ducks should roll and very well could, but don't get shocked when it's close.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    That is the worst 5 reasons ever.

They lost most of their defense. Oregon plays at home. Very good chance of winning this game if everyone shows up to play. Word is the defensive line are pissed after last year's debacles and are beefing up. But MSU is an intimidating team. Having beat both Ohio St. and Stanford, it will be a monumental early season challenge. Oregon has balls, unlike some teams. O doesn't shy away from taking on teams like LSU and MSU early in the season. Fuck USC. Volumus Alabama.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If Michigan State's team is as good as last year's, Oregon is in trouble. They had the #1 defense in the country last year. It's tough to pick Oregon to lose at home, but Michigan State is tough.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,501
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Considering the fact that neither team will have played anyone coming into the game, I would shy away from betting on this one. I might be inclined to bet against the spread if it stays that wide, though.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    PurpleJ said:

Considering the fact that neither team will have played anyone coming into the game, I would shy away from betting on this one. I might be inclined to bet against the spread if it stays that wide, though.

This. First games of the season, most of them anyway, are the roulette wheel. Play it if you want.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

If Michigan State's team is as good as last year's, Oregon is in trouble. They had the #1 defense in the country last year. It's tough to pick Oregon to lose at home, but Fresno State is tough.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Close game, Oregon wins though.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    We're tough at home. I think Oregon wins this one rather easily, say 34-17?
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

We're tough at home. I think Oregon wins this one rather easily, say 34-17?

Wish it were that easy. This will be a harrowing game. I'm worried if Oregon doesn't win it the team will completely give up like they did last year and mail it in for the rest of the season.