Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This is an actual impressive accomplishment

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
110 for 110

Yes, the author Quooks it up with all his blather about "character matters."

Whatever. The bottom line is that Oregon has enrolled EVERY SINGLE SIGNEE FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS. That is impressive, and it matters. It helps with depth, it helps maintain the roster, it gives the coaches the flexibility to kick a guy like Colt Lyerla off the team.

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Admission standards have nothing to do with this. Oh yeah, and PUMP MY GAS DUCK!!!!11!!!111FUCKME111!!!!
  • Options
    South Carolina had 8 commits fail to get eligible. And they're almost as good as Harvard.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Getting players into the program helps.

The number that matters though is how many of those 110 go through the program the full 3-5 years that they are eligible.

Doesn't matter if you get a player into school and then he transfers after 1-2 years because he realizes that he's not good enough to get playing time, etc.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,182
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2014
    When you're forging LOI's.... shuttling players across state lines to avoid tests.....and fooling grandma into signing the LOI...I don't see how this is a great accomplishment.
  • Options
    Disagree. The ones who transfer out worked out, practiced, and weren't good enough. The ones who never showed up still counted against your numbers, only they never even helped the practice squad.
    Tequilla said:

Getting players into the program helps.

The number that matters though is how many of those 110 go through the program the full 3-5 years that they are eligible.

Doesn't matter if you get a player into school and then he transfers after 1-2 years because he realizes that he's not good enough to get playing time, etc.

HuskyJW said:

When you're forging LOI's.... shuttling players across state lines to avoid tests.....and fooling grandma into signing the LOI...I don't see how this is a great accomplishment.

Doog post o' the day!

• Options
    Hey Duck,

I know that that degree you got in pumping gas doesn't require much of an education in logic and reasoning, but your entire premise to start with is beyond fucktarded.

The reason you trumpet 110 out of 110 is because you are making fun of the people that can't get kids into school. I get that. Over a 5 year period, that means that Oregon's been able to get 22 kids in each class.

Now, the school that you called out was a SEC school. SEC schools are infamous for signing 30+ kids in a class. They laugh at your whole 110 out of 110 argument because they still are getting 22 kids on average in each class.

Now, I know that your brain is probably already hurting trying to keep up, but try a little longer here. If you get 22 kids in each class, you by default will have to have attrition to stay within the 85 scholarship limit. So "some" attrition isn't bad and if you're a high end program you'll probably also have defections to early entry to the NFL, etc. However, if you're losing on average 5 kids per class from that 22, that puts you at an average of 17 kids per class in your program. That right there gets you to 85 on the roster if you have 5 full classes of 17 kids. The reality is that you're most likely not going to have 17 5th year seniors in your program at any point in time so you're going to end up being more heavily skewed to having young kids that are either not ready to play meaningful snaps or are redshirting. This is a great way to find yourself in the perpetual argument of being "young."

The key isn't how many kids you sign ... that means nothing. The key is how many kids are staying in your program and contributing as upper classmen in their 3rd, 4th, and 5th years in the program. Finding the right balance to make sure that you have experienced players while still finding a way to infuse your program with the next line of talent is the tightrope. Nothing knocks you off the tightrope quite like losing players in your program before you're expecting to with either kids transferring, medical retirements, quitting, or more players leaving early than anticipated.
  • Options
    I'm kind of honored by both the vitriol and the Tequilla-fucking-long, DR post.

If I were managing my gas station where I pump your gas, I would rather know which employees I had hired were actually going to show up on Monday morning so I wouldn't have to cover their shifts.

My understanding is that Oregon was keeping extra schollies in their pockets just in case they were revoked (I think we even mentioned that we hadn't given all our rides to the NCAA) when the HAMMER! came down.

I would venture to add that nothing knocks you off your tightrope than having a key player at a key position fail to make it into school, and then be unable to troll for a JUCO or grayshirt because you already oversigned. Now, maybe programs like South Carolina know going into signing day that they are taking a risk on Player X, so if he fails to make grades it was a longshot anyway.

Still, I'm gratified that we haven't had to do that, and note also we've gotten good results with our recruits over the past five years.

Oh, and we had Mariota, Grasu, and Ekpre-Olomu all forego NFL draft eligibility to stay at Oregon for another year. It looks like our guys are in fact panning out.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The difference is that Oregon's transfers got beat out or were smoked out, the UW's were just shitty.
  • Options
    I'm not arguing about Oregon's success ... just the premise that 110 for 110 means as much as you are making it ... lots of twisting going on out here.
  • Options
    And yes, I agree that if you're counting on someone to come into school and contribute and they flunk out before ever getting on campus without a backup plan in place, then you're more FS than PatHadenFS.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

Oh, and we had Mariota, Grasu, and Ekpre-Olomu all forego NFL draft eligibility to stay at Oregon for another year. It looks like our guys are in fact panning out.

Why would they take a pay cut to go to the NFL? BOOM!
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Fuck Colt Lyerla. Douche bag.
  • Options

Why hate on Colt? Lots of talent, not too much brains and a nose for happy powder. Wish him well with the Packers, and see if he can't finally get his shit together.

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Tequilla said:

Hey Duck,

I know that that degree you got in pumping gas doesn't require much of an education in logic and reasoning, but your entire premise to start with is beyond fucktarded.

The reason you trumpet 110 out of 110 is because you are making fun of the people that can't get kids into school. I get that. Over a 5 year period, that means that Oregon's been able to get 22 kids in each class.

Now, the school that you called out was a SEC school. SEC schools are infamous for signing 30+ kids in a class. They laugh at your whole 110 out of 110 argument because they still are getting 22 kids on average in each class.

Now, I know that your brain is probably already hurting trying to keep up, but try a little longer here. If you get 22 kids in each class, you by default will have to have attrition to stay within the 85 scholarship limit. So "some" attrition isn't bad and if you're a high end program you'll probably also have defections to early entry to the NFL, etc. However, if you're losing on average 5 kids per class from that 22, that puts you at an average of 17 kids per class in your program. That right there gets you to 85 on the roster if you have 5 full classes of 17 kids. The reality is that you're most likely not going to have 17 5th year seniors in your program at any point in time so you're going to end up being more heavily skewed to having young kids that are either not ready to play meaningful snaps or are redshirting. This is a great way to find yourself in the perpetual argument of being "young."

The key isn't how many kids you sign ... that means nothing. The key is how many kids are staying in your program and contributing as upper classmen in their 3rd, 4th, and 5th years in the program. Finding the right balance to make sure that you have experienced players while still finding a way to infuse your program with the next line of talent is the tightrope. Nothing knocks you off the tightrope quite like losing players in your program before you're expecting to with either kids transferring, medical retirements, quitting, or more players leaving early than anticipated.

Disagree
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    AZDuck said:

Why hate on Colt? Lots of talent, not too much brains and a nose for happy powder. Wish him well with the Packers, and see if he can't finally get his shit together.

Lots of guys that deserve that position over a fuck up whose behavior contributed to the degradation of the team that year. I really fucking hate how he argued publicly with Helfrich. Bad coach or not, he's the coach and the players should shut the fuck up and not air their grievances to the media. Good fucking riddance.
  • Options

AZDuck said:

Lots of guys that deserve that position over a fuck up whose behavior contributed to the degradation of the team that year. I really fucking hate how he argued publicly with Helfrich. Bad coach or not, he's the coach and the players should shut the fuck up and not air their grievances to the media. Good fucking riddance.
    I agree with this. But he's a human being, and a young and not very bright one at that. Football is pretty much his best chance at a decent life. Let's hope it works out for him.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Colt will have plenty of fun in Green Bay.