Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I'd really like the Mariners to restructure their lineup...

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,577
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Batting AB R H RBI HR SB BB K LOB AVG
Julio RodríguezCF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .228
Ty France1B 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 .358
Eugenio Suárez3B 2 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 .327
Cal RaleighC 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 .244
Teo HernándezRF 2 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 .204
Jarred KelenicLF 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 3 .343
Cooper Hummel DH 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 .125
Kolten Wong2B 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .111
J.P. CrawfordSS 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .214

We don't have a three hitter and its goofing up our lineup and making it difficult to score..
My solution is to move Crawford [historically has a good OBA] up to one and move Rodriguez to 3 and then
move everyone else down.

Yes we would be giving up some steals but so far the biggest issue has been the inability to create big innings,
and to do that you need your number 3, 4, 5 guys to deliver ~ with the emphasis being on 3. Just my opinion,
Of course, you may have a different thought.

We gave up our 3 hitter, the guy that reliably would drive in runs in the offseason and picked up a 5 hitter
in his place... I get why we did it, but now we need to adjust. So far Kelenic has been helpful and they are now
trying to move him up the batting order but i do not expect him to bat higher than 6 this year, unless his
continuing [?] progression is unquestionably powerful, which I am not counting on....

Wong has been a black hole [will probably come around, do not expect another failure at 2b this year] and
arguably we still need one big time more bat [almost every team does].

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    JP at leadoff is a terrible idea. This is definitely a worse lineup than what they're running out.

The best solution is to move Kelenic to 2/France to 3/Saurez to 4 but I understand why they're hesitant to mess with Kelenic right now.

Suarez is fine as a 3 hitter though that part of the lineup isn't the issue, it's the black hole at 7-8-9. Moving one of those guys to 1 is definitely not the solution.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No need to panic. Julio and others, including Wong, have hit the ball hard and not been rewarded. The Ms started slow offensively last year too but they're hitting the ball way harder as a team than they were at this time last season.

Pitching is more concerning for me. The bullpen has been bad, and that's the worst I've seen Flexen get crushed in three seasons. Gilbert, Kirby and L Castillo are pretty much doing what they do but the rest are wildcards right now.

In the meantime Kelenic continues to cruise. 482' on a pitch down and away in the zone today.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    chuck said:

No need to panic. Julio and others, including Wong, have hit the ball hard and not been rewarded. The Ms started slow offensively last year too but they're hitting the ball way harder as a team than they were at this time last season.

Pitching is more concerning for me. The bullpen has been bad, and that's the worst I've seen Flexen get crushed in three seasons. Gilbert, Kirby and L Castillo are pretty much doing what they do but the rest are wildcards right now.

In the meantime Kelenic continues to cruise. 482' on a pitch down and away in the zone today.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

Beast strength. He should've played football.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,253
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2023
    Lineup construction has dramatically changed over the last several years because of the metrics, and the way the game has changed. There are a lot more power/speed combinations than ever before. Trout hits 2, Judge and Freeman hit 2. Machado. Matt Olson. Rutschman in Baltimore. The best hitters are now in the 2 hole, and right now, game by game, France is that guy, for me. He is a professional hitter, solid approach, 20+ jacks when healthy. Julio will hit lead-off for 3-4 years, and move to the 2 for 2-4 years, and when he gets his man-strength, to 3 or 4, IMO.

25 years ago, JP is hitting in the 2 hole, taking pitches, bunting, rolling over on pitches with the runner going. He has got some top-of-the-order skills, but for me is ideal in the 9 spot because of those same skills...as a second lead-off hitter, so to speak. I want Julio, France, Gino, Teoscar to get that 5th at bat in the 8th/9th, not necessarily JP...

I think the adjustment will come, if things continue the way they are currently, with Kelenic moving to 5, and Cal sliding down a spot or two.

I think they could use a big thumper as a DH, but those guys are drying up, it seems. Roster flexibility is premium, which is why you get the revolving door...

EDIT: When Moore gets healthy, Wong will have a chance to get right...I see a straight platoon coming
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Beast strength. He should've played football.
    I should have bid $16
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,522
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    @RoadDawg55 weeps at the success of Kelenic.