Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Way-too-early college football preseason top 25 for the 2023 season:

SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Georgia left no doubt when it clobbered TCU to win the College Football Playoff national title, delivering consecutive CFP championships to enter an exclusive club. The Bulldogs became the first repeat champ since Alabama won it all in 2011 and 2012, back in the BCS era.

Now comes the question: Can Georgia make it three in a row? That hasn't happened since Minnesota (!) won three in a row from 1934 through 1936. It's possible Georgia starts its run for three in a row at the top of the polls. Here are some very early top 25 college football rankings for the 2023 season.

1. Georgia (15-0, won College Football Playoff national championship)

Yes, Georgia loses Heisman finalist Stetson Bennett. But coach Kirby Smart and his program will likely simply reload and remain SEC and national contenders, with Carson Beck perhaps taking over. No matter who wins the starting quarterback job — Beck, Brock Vandagriff and Gunner Stockton — the Bulldogs will be strong at running back and have TE Brock Bowers and strong WRs. LB Jamon Dumas-Johnson (9 TFL, 4 sacks) should be among the leaders of another strong UGA defense.

PERFECT: Looking at all undefeated national champions since 1936

2. Michigan (13-1, lost CFP semifinal)

Two disappointing endings in a row in the CFP semifinals, yes, but there's no doubting that the Wolverines have flipped the script against Ohio State the last two years. Michigan will be looking at a third consecutive conference title in 2023, only this time it will hope to take that next step and advance to the CFP title game. QB J.J. McCarthy and RBs Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards will star on offense, while DB Will Johnson (3 INTs) will be an All-America threat as a sophomore. This ranking does depend on the return of coach Jim Harbaugh.

3. Ohio State (11-2, lost in CFP semifinals)

Ryan Day is 45-6 but back-to-back losses to Michigan and a loss to Georgia in the CFP semifinals puts some pressure on the coach. Even if C.J. Stroud is gone, Ohio State will again score plenty of points — having all-world WR Marvin Harrison Jr. (1,263 receiving yards, 14 TDs) would make anyone confident.

4. Alabama (11-2, won Sugar Bowl)

A rout of K-State in the Sugar Bowl sent out Bryce Young and others on a high note, but any Nick Saban season that doesn't end with an SEC or national title will feel slightly disappointing. Jalen Milroe and Ty Simpson will probably battle it out for the starting QB job. There are a lot of questions throughout here, but Alabama is still Alabama.

5. Penn State (11-2, won Rose Bowl)

Sean Clifford's lengthy career ended with a dynamite performance in the Rose Bowl, which means highly touted recruit Drew Allar's time is here. Expect dynamic running backs Nick Singleton (1,061 yards) and Kaytron Allen (867 yards) to take the next steps as sophomores. DC Manny Diaz will keep the defense among the best.

6. LSU (10-4, won Citrus Bowl)

Brian Kelly's first season included beating Alabama and picking up a dominating bowl win along with disappointing blowout defeats to Tennessee and Georgia. The Tigers have star power on both sides of the ball, with QB Jayden Daniels (2,913 passing yards, 885 rushing yards, 28 total TDs) and LB Harold Perkins Jr. (72 total tackles, 7.5 sacks). LSU also opens up with Florida State again — a major chance for both schools to get off on the right foot (Florida State won it in 2022).

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-01-11/college-football-rankings-preseason-top-25-2023-season?amp

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Way LSWHO finished, other than a beating by GA in the SECCG, Kelly and Kelly Tigahs are legit. And May win it all…or at least May give Bama another L in the west. But lose again to GA in the SECCG.

Regardless. The winner is the National Champion. Just have to go through the motions beyond. ;)
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Imagine being 45-6 and on the hot seat
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Survival of the fittest. In the SEC.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    SECDAWG said:

That was Ryan Day of Ohio State
  • Options
    edited March 2023

SECDAWG said:

That was Ryan Day of Ohio State
    Yeah. They expect a lot in Buck Nut land. Ryan Day has done well and had a great game plan against GA and could tell he was overly stimulated with every play in the CFP. Almost won it. Close as it could get.

Eleven Warriors and Buckeye Planet are unforgiving. But at the end of the day, they rewoke the Giant Oregon saw in Game one of 2022…

tOSU loses that game 9 out of 10 tims last year.

However, they may get their lil’o chance once again in the CFP.
    This tim May be different in 2023 wit a beatdown by GA just because…

Would have loved to see OU Sooners get some of that game 1 this year in Norman. But since they joined the SEC, they cancelled that game from the headquarters…

Talking about some entitled fucks…

OU hay days are numbered now…and trust me, they have many hay days and “going to rule the SEC” once there.

Puh. I’ve seen and heard it all…
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    SECDAWG said:

Ohio state is in the SEC? This realignment shit is getting out of hand.
  • Options

SECDAWG said:

I didn’t realize at the moment he was referring to RD.

I know it don’t take long to be on one in the SEC. Surprised Jumbo has lasted this long at ATM.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    SECDAWG said:

SECDAWG said:

I know it don’t take long to be on one in the SEC. Surprised Jumbo has lasted this long at ATM.
    i have nearly 86,000,000 reasons as to why that hasnt happened.
  • Options

SECDAWG said:

SECDAWG said:

i have nearly 86,000,000 reasons as to why that hasnt happened.
    That’s true. That’s a lot of dough and ATM has to own it. He was suppose to be their savior going in to the SEC. Hasn’t worked out well. ATM has dough but that’s substantial. I think they think he can still get er done. It’s only went down hill in the SEC and far worse than he expected, I’m sure…an interim Cadillac Williams beat them last year at Jordan Hare and ATM finished last in the West, with all the great recruiting classes. 😳

ATM has money, Auburn is still paying two past coaches contracts and ATM will do the same if shit don’t change, regardless of the amount. But you right, 90 mil give or take is a lot of cash right now. However they just got 60% of that for just being in the SEC, all schools did. That was this past years payout to 14 universities from our revenue of almost 800 million to the SEC.

Time will tell, but if ATM and Jumbo stays on the current path, he gone.