Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Live from the Tacoma Dome

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
#1 seed Woodinviille girls leading Richland 53-40 with 1:33 left.

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club
    Woodinville girls endured tough season off court. On it, they keep winning as they seek 4A repeat

By Doug Drowley
    Special to The Seattle Times
    If it is again green-clad Falcons climbing ladders to cut snippets from the nets on Saturday night at the Tacoma Dome, there will be plenty of visible reasons why Woodinville will have repeated as the Class 4A girls state champs.

What won’t be as evident are the trials and tribulations that this flock of Falcons endured to get there over the course of the 2022-23 season, but that forged them into an ironclad, connected unit.

“We’re trying to survive life,” Woodinville coach Scott Bullock said. “Sometimes you focus too much on the winning and you miss the boat.”

Winning is something the Falcons have done a lot of over the last four years. The Falcons enter the Tacoma Dome for the state tournament that starts Wednesday carrying a 24-2 record, the third time over those four seasons that Woodinville has sported two or fewer losses coming into state.

One of those seasons was the pandemic-delayed and shortened season during the spring of 2021. Woodinville went 5-0. The Falcons have lost just four games since the 2019-20 season when their only loss came in the championship game to Central Valley.

Woodinville beat Sumner for the title a year ago. The Falcons are 83-4 during this stretch.

“I never talk about the past, really,” Bullock said. “For every team, you have your own experiences. For instance, we’ve won the KingCo championship. This year was the sixth in a row. These kids, they weren’t here six years ago.”

Many of these Woodinville players’ parents were around since older siblings of current players have come through the program over the last decade. And assistant coaches have been around for years.

The Falcons family lost one of those people to cancer in the middle of the season, affecting not just his senior daughter on the team but Bullock and everyone associated with Woodinville’s program.

“(Steve) Segadelli is someone I’ve coached with for years,” Bullock said. “They lived next door to me. And he passed away a month ago. He’s one of the guys that helped me learn how to coach.”

The team and community rallied around senior Adie Segadelli, her family and the team.

“With all of that, Adie was like, ‘Let’s do this,'” junior Jaecy Eggers said. “When we went to his celebration of life, everyone was just 100% all in. We all remember that.”

Bullock’s top assistant, Sam Moscatel, suffered a stroke around the same time. Even during his rehabilitation he continues to help coach, though in a reduced role.

“He’s just great with the girls,” Bullock said.

“It’s all for him, almost, now,” said senior Brooke Beresford, a four-year starter who is the steady force for the Falcons.

“Even now, when I have a question I always think ‘What would Seg do?’” Eggers said.

Segadelli, Beresford and Eggers have played together since the two seniors were sixth graders. Eggers, then in fifth grade, played up a year on a team that won the state championship — five years before they won the state championship a year ago.

“This really has been going on for the last 10 years,” Bullock said. “Not just the last four.”

This season, freshmen Jazlyn Wilkerson and Samantha Harris are learning how to continue the run.

“Wilkerson even has a 28-point game for us this season,” Bullock said. That came in Woodinville’s first loss of the year back on December 10 at Lynden Christian.

The Falcons then won 22 in a row to earn the top seed in the Class 4A tournament before their regional loss to No. 8 Emerald Ridge last week.

“I believe confidence is really important,” Bullock said. “That’s not always easy to do, bringing them together as a team. We want these kids to have confidence even through the difficulties. It’s hard, but that’s our focus.”
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Will be pulling for my Eagles in the 3A girls tournament. Their coach is pretty sick. Been battling cancer the last two years. Has been highly successful at Arlington placing second twice, third and fourth in his decade plus in charge. I hope they get it done this year. He’s a really good dude.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WHS Class of ‘87 RULES
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People forget they have to beat the EQC homeless encampment in the gold medal match.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Will be pulling for my Eagles in the 3A girls tournament. Their coach is pretty sick. Been battling cancer the last two years. Has been highly successful at Arlington placing second twice, third and fourth in his decade plus in charge. I hope they get it done this year. He’s a really good dude.

Back in the Semi-finals for the fifth time in ten eligible years. Joe Marsh is the coach, made it to the dome in 8/10 opportunities since 2013. Placed second twice, third twice and fourth once. I hope this is his year, the guy deserves it. An amazing run at a public school in north Snohomish County IMHO. Go Eagles!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited March 2023

Woodinville finishes 4th with a 27-3 record. Will be very strong next year.