Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,651
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,690
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Thanks Taft!

I remember when this board was a big believer in Five Stars.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,651
    Founders Club

Thanks Taft!

I’m a 5 star thanked of Taft.

Thanks Taft!

You are also an elite consumer of nachos.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Thanks Taft!

People who follow CFB knew this was the case. It's always been about the 4-5* Jimmy's and Joe's when it comes to winning it all.
    Founders Club

Thanks Taft!

You are also an elite consumer of nachos.
    That’s true.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,292
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

Thanks Taft!

People who follow CFB knew this was the case. It's always been about the 4-5* Jimmy's and Joe's when it comes to winning it all.
    Exactly. Saban just pays kids at the top of a sorted spreadsheet made by neckbeard 247 admins and just rolls the ball out there. Same with Smart.
    It's actually an interesting question or point to discuss. Saban was not Saban at Michigan State. And, no, I don't think he became a more brilliant coach somehow between then and LSU. At LSU, he had access to a different recruiting base than he did at State. Sure, he's a great coach. But is he some brilliant Xs and Os guy? His assistant coaching / coordinator position is a revolving door, with retards like Sark, Tosh, Kiffin taking a turn. Doens't seem to matter who's there does it?

I mean, please tell me how he's taking lower rated recruits and developing them. Come on. That is not what's happening at Georgia and Bama.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,003
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Stacking elite (not good, not great, but elite) high school recruiting classes is the most important factor when it comes to competing for championships and establishing a championship program.

jimbo fisher is scratching his head at this.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,292
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023

It's actually an interesting question or point to discuss. Saban was not Saban at Michigan State. And, no, I don't think he became a more brilliant coach somehow between then and LSU. At LSU, he had access to a different recruiting base than he did at State. Sure, he's a great coach. But is he some brilliant Xs and Os guy? His assistant coaching / coordinator position is a revolving door, with retards like Sark, Tosh, Kiffin taking a turn. Doens't seem to matter who's there does it?

I mean, please tell me how he's taking lower rated recruits and developing them. Come on. That is not what's happening at Georgia and Bama.

I didn't say he's taking lower rated recruits. At least not now.

But these kids are essentially being partitioned into 3 tiers. That's FS. It gets even more complicated now with transfer rules. It's FS to be A&M fan and think you're just going to be elite. Texas just looks at stars and measurables and has cycled through 3 staffs now.

Coaching and evaluation matter more than they ever have.

How Utah has been to two rose bowls. How Oregon State just runs 15 straights runs and then destroys Florida.
    haie said:

I didn't say he's taking lower rated recruits. At least not now.

But these kids are essentially being partitioned into 3 tiers. That's FS. It gets even more complicated now with transfer rules. It's FS to be A&M fan and think you're just going to be elite. Texas just looks at stars and measurables and has cycled through 3 staffs now.

Coaching and evaluation matter more than they ever have.

How Utah has been to two rose bowls. How Oregon State just runs 15 straights runs and then destroys Florida.
    I agree. I know you need coaching. My point is that the narrative to date, which seems to hold, is that a condition precedent to winning natties is a bevy of 4 stars and a sprinkling of 5 stars. You also need coaching, but that narrative has been coaching alone, with a bevy of 3 stars, won't get you over the Georgia/Bama hump.

I didn't write the narrative. This place did.
    edited January 2023

So why was Richt mediocre and Kirby wins back to back natties?

How does Jimbo just have one ring with all the talent he has had at two schools

Its not one or the other. Its both

James was pretty good with third pick after USC and UCLA

He was great with the super recruiting that built the 90-92 teams

Yes, this is what I posted to haie. Both. Not one, or the other. At least that's what I've been made to believe around here for years. And the TV doesn't lie either.

And in the case of Bama, I really think that if there's a lean one way or the other, it's the talent disparity. Saban runs a great program, obviously, which includes recruiting but also discipline, etc. But I don't think he's some kind of quantum leap-forward genius. Talk about brand, he walked into one of the, if not the, biggest brand in cfb which sits in the middle of the most fertile recruiting region in the country. Not easy, but not uphill either. He's the one who uses the boxing division analogy btw.

Richt was 11-7 in bowls and he was a 10+ win season guy 10 out of 18 seasons as a head coach, with a better winning % than the three guys before him at Georgia, which includes Dooley. I'd give him a mediocre++, or good, but not great, HC, because that win rate gets you lifetime employment at a lot of programs. Georgia fans expected to win titles (at the time on the basis of having done it once in the color TV era) and saw that he wasn't an "over the hump" guy. Two conference titles in 15 years at GA didn't get it done.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Yes, this is what I posted to haie. Both. Not one, or the other. At least that's what I've been made to believe around here for years. And the TV doesn't lie either.

And in the case of Bama, I really think that if there's a lean one way or the other, it's the talent disparity. Saban runs a great program, obviously, which includes recruiting but also discipline, etc. But I don't think he's some kind of quantum leap-forward genius. Talk about brand, he walked into one of the, if not the, biggest brand in cfb which sits in the middle of the most fertile recruiting region in the country. Not easy, but not uphill either. He's the one who uses the boxing division analogy btw.

Richt was 11-7 in bowls and he was a 10+ win season guy 10 out of 18 seasons as a head coach, with a better winning % than the three guys before him at Georgia, which includes Dooley. I'd give him a mediocre++, or good, but not great, HC, because that win rate gets you lifetime employment at a lot of programs. Georgia fans expected to win titles (at the time on the basis of having done it once in the color TV era) and saw that he wasn't an "over the hump" guy. Two conference titles in 15 years at GA didn't get it done.
    The ten seasons before Saban arrived at Bama

More loosing seasons than 10 win seasons.

Maybe the dudes before Saban were all just shitty recruiters who couldn't capitalize on the brand but that's hard to reconcile with Saban's 12-2 record in year two and 14-0 in year three.

The easier conclusion is that Nick is a far superior coach.
    edited January 2023
    dnc said:

Maybe the dudes before Saban were all just shitty recruiters who couldn't capitalize on the brand but that's hard to reconcile with Saban's 12-2 record in year two and 14-0 in year three.

Or a combination. Alabama, I don't think, was producing players then at the clip they've been under Saban. Meyer has been great wherever he's been. Saban was 34-24 at Sparty. Two 5th, two 6th and one tie for 2nd in conference. How'd he get so good at LSU?

Saban brought a 6-6 MSU team to Autzen in 98' and got thumped by MB, 48-14. The next year, his last at MSU, he went 10-2. They had not had a winning season since 1990. His 6-6 teams upset #1 tOSU. He can obviously coach but it takes elite level recruiting to win NC's. He's proved it at LSU and Bama.
    haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

Thanks Taft!

Exactly. Saban just pays kids at the top of a sorted spreadsheet made by neckbeard 247 admins and just rolls the ball out there. Same with Smart.
    You've obviously never read anything on how Saban approaches recruiting. You just poast really stupid shit like this. Smart learned from him so again just a really dumbass poast.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,950
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    There’s like half the schools in the SEC a coach of Saban or Smart’s stature could go into and make a juggernaut in the SEC. LSU, Bama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, auburn and a&m. They have talent close by and think & care. It’s amazing how bad the AD can mess it up though.

Growing up for me LSU was always a shitty program until Saban was there. They now have 3 coaches that have won natties since I was 21. Tennessee was in the top 10 a lot when I was growing up, they have been an under achieving enigma since the early 2000’s until this year.

TLDR

Certain schools have high levels of potential, only top tier coaches bring it out (and that one time Larry Coker, Ogeron and chizik won it) though.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,594
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Mike Price’s Destiny record of 0-0 isn’t listed.

Anyone know how to edit Wikipedia?