Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pod alert: Peter Zeihan on Rogan

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
https://open.spotify.com/episode/406fOiiKMU0ot5AS1AIwve

I don’t know if this guym is right about everything but I find his analysis fascinating. I suspect some of yous will not like the Ukraine thoughts at the open.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Grumble is right, it was a fascinating listen. He gives a George Friedman-type of viewpoint to a lot of stuff that runs contrary to the mainstream narrative. My only major gripe was that he basically called Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme and its clear he hasn't studied it intensely. But overall this guy is brilliant, and Joe showed up for the interview sober and didn't pontificate for half the show instead of featuring his guest.

Well worth the listen, pods.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Grumble is right, it was a fascinating listen. He gives a George Friedman-type of viewpoint to a lot of stuff that runs contrary to the mainstream narrative. My only major gripe was that he basically called Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme and its clear he hasn't studied it intensely. But overall this guy is brilliant, and Joe showed up for the interview sober and didn't pontificate for half the show instead of featuring his guest.

In case you missed his mention, Zeihan worked at Stratfor at some point.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,779
    edited January 2023

Bitcoin as a arbitrage IS essentially securities fraud. The unregulated pump and dumping over the last five years or so is pretty obvious. A subcategory of crypto shenanigans.

As a store of value, its not much different than physical gold. Nobody carries around bars of gold for trade. It's all handled via exchanges. One can't walk into Albertsons RIP Safeway and buy a maple bar (fucking delicious greatest pastry of all-tim) with either gold or Bitcoin.

@UW_Doog_Bot could give a much better economics perspective. The Throbber is still a little groggy this morning from an edibles/Guinness Saturday night.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,645
    edited January 2023

Bitcoin as a arbitrage IS essentially securities fraud. The unregulated pump and dumping over the last five years or so is pretty obvious. A subcategory of crypto shenanigans.

As a store of value, its not much different than physical gold. Nobody carries around bars of gold for trade. It's all handled via exchanges. One can't walk into Albertsons RIP Safeway and buy a maple bar (fucking delicious greatest pastry of all-tim) with either gold or Bitcoin.

@UW_Doog_Bot could give a much better economics perspective. The Throbber is still a little groggy this morning from an edibles/Guinness Saturday night.

If I can't hold it in my hands I don't buy it. Precious metals are good stuff. Have been since they were discovered. Bitcoin is like storing your arms and ammo offsite under a strangers control. Won't do you much good when the shit hits the fan.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I've been picking various 6 minutes clips out of this one on YouTube and listening the past few days. If he know what he's talking about the guy is making some massively bold claims. So far I've heard:
    • Russia is a lost cause and will cease to be a major player in the next 30 years due to demographics.
    • China is facing major demographics challenges and Xi is vulnerable. Look for China to be irrelevant in the next 10 years.
    • Supporting Ukraine is what is preventing nuclear war in Eastern Europe.
    • EV's are going to be very short-lived due to lack of minerals and real science on their environmental impacts (I think this is true in the big picture, but doubt the far-left gives them up quickly for risk of admitting they are wrong)
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Didn’t listen yet, but the fellas on No Agenda think the guys a spook.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I've been picking various 6 minutes clips out of this one on YouTube and listening the past few days. If he know what he's talking about the guy is making some massively bold claims. So far I've heard:

• Russia is a lost cause and will cease to be a major player in the next 30 years due to demographics.
    • China is facing major demographics challenges and Xi is vulnerable. Look for China to be irrelevant in the next 10 years.
    • EV's are going to be very short-lived due to lack of minerals and real science on their environmental impacts (I think this is true in the big picture, but doubt the far-left gives them up quickly for risk of admitting they are wrong)
    Oh yeah, and he's got a dozen others at least as bold. Like I said, I don't know if he's right. What I find valuable is his reasoning behind the claims. And in fairness to him, in his 2014 book, he pretty closely predicted the timming of Russia making a military move to gain a security buffer and resources.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Interesting, like an active CIA psyoperative or something?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,841
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Oh yeah, and he's got a dozen others at least as bold. Like I said, I don't know if he's right. What I find valuable is his reasoning behind the claims. And in fairness to him, in his 2014 book, he pretty closely predicted the timing of Russia making a military move to gain a security buffer and resources.
    Russia, particularly Putin is a paranoid schizoid nutcase. There was no security threat to Russia. Was Germany looking for lebensraum? The US was looking to invade Russia? Finland ready to avenge the Russian invasion. I'll agree that the US neocons who wanted to surround Russia with weak ass new NATO members was stupid. As usual, it was something to do to virtue signal and provided absolutely no security advantage to the US. The Ukraine invasion was a huge tactical mistake for which the Russian and Ukraine will be paying for a long time.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,178
    Founders Club

Interesting. I would disagree with 3 of those 4 takes. The only one I might agree with is Russia potentially losing status in the near future.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Oh yeah, and he's got a dozen others at least as bold. Like I said, I don't know if he's right. What I find valuable is his reasoning behind the claims. And in fairness to him, in his 2014 book, he pretty closely predicted the timing of Russia making a military move to gain a security buffer and resources.
    Russia, particularly Putin is a paranoid schizoid nutcase. There was no security threat to Russia. Was Germany looking for lebensraum? The US was looking to invade Russia? Finland ready to avenge the Russian invasion. I'll agree that the US neocons who wanted to surround Russia with weak ass new NATO members was stupid. As usual, it was something to do to virtue signal and provided absolutely no security advantage to the US. The Ukraine invasion was a huge tactical mistake for which the Russian and Ukraine will be paying for a long time.
    If I remember correctly, his argument about Russia is that none of this has to do with their "security" as far as military, but securing regional access for trade, etc. He mentioned a couple regions being super critical to their longer term relevance and that their demographics basically dictated that they go to war now before their young population gets too small to field sufficient forces.

He also predicted the current war won't end until they suffer about 500,000 in troop losses and that right now they're at around 100,000.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,841
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2023

If I remember correctly, his argument about Russia is that none of this has to do with their "security" as far as military, but securing regional access for trade, etc. He mentioned a couple regions being super critical to their longer term relevance and that their demographics basically dictated that they go to war now before their young population gets too small to field sufficient forces.

He also predicted the current war won't end until they suffer about 500,000 in troop losses and that right now they're at around 100,000.
    It they wanted, Russia would be part of the Euro world. But they didn't. Act like a pariah, you get treated by a pariah. Putin was assassinating Ukrainians, diplomats, political opponents and journalists. Most was personal. He had national access for his chief exports, oil and gas and wheat. Russia has third of the economy of Germany. A Russia atop the world was a dream that went down with Reagan, let along today. Crimea wasn't a super critical asset. Looks like fool's gold today.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,553
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    His voice and cadence is hard to listen to
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    Founders Club

Interesting, like an active CIA psyoperative or something?
    Yeah something along those lines. Just based his profile/lack of and ability to get on so much media so easily. Nothing concrete just keep an eye on him kind of feel.

Here’s a link to their clip from Sunday
    https://podverse.fm/clip/AAtFJPbCE
  • Options
    Founders Club

In case you missed his mention, Zeihan worked at Stratfor at some point.
    For about a dozen years, according to him.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,868
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club
    He does seem spookish. Rogan asked him how old Putin was and he confidently said mid 60’s right away. Putin is 70. Maybe a small thing, but came across weird to me.