Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Credit to the staff, but LB and safety are still a question mark

PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
edited December 2022 in Hardcore Husky Board
They saw the same stuff that we did on defense. Spectacular offensive and dline efforts wasted by mediocre LB play and horrible secondary play.

So far they have brought in:

CB - 2nd Team all Big 12 likely starter, two 4 star freshman, a Juco All-American, three 3 star freshman. This could in theory turn into a position of strength

LB - USC starter at times who hits hard and should at worst be good depth, two 3 star freshman. I'm not that concerned about this position. Tuputala and Bruener are veterans, if Ulofoshio is healthy he is our best backer, Harnetiaux should be good

Safety - ???? Maybe one ATH that plays safety? Not sure what the plan is here to be honest. The staff seems to like Dunn. Hopefully Hampton learns to cover and Asa looks like he did against Oregon State all year. Maybe Kam Fab does something besides get hurdled and become a walking opposition highlight reel. I would be shocked if we don't get another portal player.

Regardless, if the defense cannot improve to top 3 in the conference next year - DeBoer should bring in a proven SEC DC stuck behind a horrible offense.

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,709 Swaye's Wigwam
    Holmes and Diesel will prob start at safety
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter

They saw the same stuff that we did on defense. Spectacular offensive and dline efforts wasted by mediocre LB play and horrible secondary play.

CB - 2nd Team all Big 12 likely starter, two 4 star freshman, a Juco All-American, three 3 star freshman. This could in theory turn into a position of strength

LB - USC starter at times who hits hard and should at worst be good depth, two 3 star freshman. I'm not that concerned about this position. Tuputala and Bruener are veterans, if Ulofoshio is healthy he is our best backer, Harnetiaux should be good

Safety - ???? Maybe one ATH that plays safety? Not sure what the plan is here to be honest. The staff seems to like Dunn. Hopefully Hampton learns to cover and Asa looks like he did against Oregon State all year. Maybe Kam Fab does something besides get hurdled and become a walking opposition highlight reel. I would be shocked if we don't get another portal player.

Regardless, if the defense cannot improve to top 3 in the conference next year - DeBoer should bring in a proven SEC DC stuck behind a horrible offense.

The defense did suck last year so don’t twist, but I think they actually ended in the top 3. Maybe it was yards or ppg. Can’t remember. I can’t handle another year of the ups and downs of the shitty secondary and linebacker play. The d line is too good to waste.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

There is no way
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,785

this defense was top 3 this year... as sad and pathetic as that is... HTH.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    LawDawg1 said:

Not in total defense

LawDawg1 said:

Not in total defense
    Yards per play allowed: #2
    Sacks: tied #1
    Yards allowed per game: #3

What other stats do you need to somehow substantiate this shit defense was still top 3 in the Pac 12?

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

Not in total defense

What other stats do you need to somehow substantiate this shit defense was still top 3 in the Pac 12?

Now adjust for opponent

LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

Not in total defense

Now adjust for opponent
    So Penix wasn't the NCAA passing leader and we didn't have the best 3rd down offense in the nation because we have to adjust for opponent on every stat now?
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member Posts: 1,483
    LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

Not in total defense

4th in points allowed. Kind of an important stat.

This isn't your grandfather's defense. Not even your older brother's defense

In the 60's and 70's the best defenses held teams to around 200 yards a game. Or less in a mismatch. James was a defense first coach and early Husky teams had stats that a modern team would be hard pressed to match in a half

As the 80's turned into the 90's the various spread and run and shoot and one back attacks had the offense gaining the upper hand. So 300-400 yards became good defense. James had enough in 89m and went to the kill your QB 46 defense. Offense caught up to that too

But what really sealed the fate of defense was the hurry up by Chip which is now used by everyone. No huddle and go fast or slow. Spread them out and run it as the defenses got smaller and faster to stop the pass

If the D bunches the box then throw it over them.

Good defense is now holding the opponent to one point less than you score. To come up big when it matters. To play tuff in the red zone

Other than letting the ASU back up look like Bart Starr the Husky defense did that for the most part. The stats make sense even though the D was "horrible" by past standards

Agreed except for the missed tackles and wide open WRs.... And yet with that, the stats say top 3 in conference.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,709 Swaye's Wigwam

There is no way
    Oops, did not mean start as in starters, but that's the positions they'll start off in at the beginning of spring/fall camp and then may move to corner or HUSKY
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

Not in total defense

Now adjust for opponent
    So Penix wasn't the NCAA passing leader and we didn't have the best 3rd down offense in the nation because we have to adjust for opponent on every stat now?
    Penix showed up in big games. The defense was ass. Especially the pass defense.