Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penix still has a hardon for UW...

13»

Comments

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,612
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN rated Ekpre-Olomu as the top senior cornerback available in the 2015 NFL draft.

However, an anterior cruciate ligament injury (ACL) he suffered in December 2014 during practice left many teams no longer interested in him. Ekpre-Olomu later revealed that he had also dislocated his knee. He underwent two major reconstructive surgeries, with his ACL reconstruction being much more extensive than usual.

Look if all of you won't just agree with me I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Also, the internet has revealed Kiper to be a dumb fuck that doesn't know anymore than all of the other dipshits making mock drafts on the internet for the most part.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2022
    haie said:

trublue said:

trublue said:

trublue said:

Your program has benefitted more than any maybe from QBs coming back for no reason let's be real. I almost feel like a hypocrite for celebrating this I've groused about Mariota and Herbert's extra year so much.

Since when did Herbert leaving early become an issue? After he blew up in the NFL?

Herbert was local (Sheldon HS, Eugene, OR); a legacy; a 3-sport athlete in high school; academic; played on terrible teams his first two years at Oregon; never redshirted.

There was never any serious talk about Herbert entering the draft after his (true) junior season.

Good for Penix for coming back for another year. Hopefully, UW can get him a terrific NIL deal and start the Heisman campaign.

Herbert absolutely did not have to come back for his senior year. All mocks had him going really high. He was basically the next year's Josh Allen. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773297-2019-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-way-too-early-predictions

Most QBs in Mariota's situation would have left after their sophomore year. He was a Top 10 lock. Bortles went #3 in 2014.

Both coming back when they didn't need to was super fortunate and massively helped the program.

To be fair, so was Locker returning when he didn't need to in 2010.
    Mariota and Herbert are not your average D-1 QBs. These two actually did the education part of attending a University.; loved the University of Oregon and the football program.

Josh Allen - different dude. Dumbfuck academically (Reedley, CA JC); transferred to Wyoming. Great size and arm strength. He was projected a high draft pick based on his size and arm strength not what he accomplished college. Dude was just trying to stay eligible.

Herbert staying his senior year was never in doubt considering the family he came from. It turned out to be a great decision for him and the Ducks. He could have left early and been drafted by Cincinnati.

Mariota came back his last year to get his degree.

It’s great for UW having Penix come back. Now he needs a good insurance policy (in case he gets injured).

Ah yes, Mariota, the academically prowessed QB who graduated with a general science degree (with an emphasis in the always-rigorous discipline of human physiology!) and a 3.2 GPA. Truly a model in football players who come to play school.

Herbert, OTOH, does appear to have been a legitimately good student. A 4.0 with a degree in biology is no joke.
    Where did I say Mariota was “academically prowessef”?

Mariota wasn’t “academically gifted” He worked hard in school and part of the reason he stayed was to get his degree (and most likely please his parents). He allegedly was a frequent visitor at the Jacques Center utilizing the services of academic advisors.

Good thing his parents wouldn’t let him switch his commitment from Oregon to UW. He obviously never would have hacked it academically at UW playing for the Sarkman.

Herbert majored in pre-med (I believe) his first two or three years. Had a 4.2 GPA. He switched to Biology and graduated in four years.
    Herbert's parents wanted him to go to UW. Pete was a fucking idiot, per usual.
    To cut Pete a little slack, it was a bit complicated. The reasons the Herberts were up in Seattle is because his uncle is a huge Husky and had arranged for a visit or some shit. At the time, it wasn't super obvious that Herbert was what he was, and he had broken his leg badly or some shit, and eventually the UW coaches said "no". But up to that point, nobody had offered him other than like Northern Arizona, Portland State and one of the Montanas. Of course at the time Oregon was trending down and UW up so that I'm sure figured into it.

The key, though, was that Oregon had not offered him or even paid any attention to him. It was only when they found out UW was talking to him that they got interested. So neither school has a great story to tell here; but also, from the way people describe it at that time, neither program was missing anything obvious either: the broken leg, he probably needed to fill out more, yadda yadda yadda. All they knew was great 3 sport athlete and great student and kid.

So, I've not read anything to suggest that Herbert's parents wanted him to go to UW because of academis or because UW was so great. They were excited about UW because up to that point it had been the only major D1 program even talking to Herbert. That's an important clarification. It wasn't that Oregon was all over the kid and his parents were like, "nope, UW." Oregon was ignoring the kid altogether, so they can fuck off with the "great discovery" story too. Herbert's parents liked Pete (who doesn't) and they were far and away the most big-time program talking to their kid. So of course they were high on UW. But Pete didn't pull the trigger and Oregon eventually woke up and grabbed him. Unlucky and lucky is how I would describe it. His uncle is a Husky and he has many other ties to Oregon. Could have either way. Even with all the OCs they had, he was probably better off at Oregon anyway. Pete's offense seemed like a QB killer.

Here's what his Dad said:

“There’s no doubt,” Mark Herbert said, “that had they continued on the path, that we’d have welcomed that (scholarship offer) in a heartbeat. It was really heading in that direction. … They were the only ones, the only big school talking to us.”

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/10/how-the-huskies-interest-in-an-unknown-justin-herb/
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Herbert was in the Class of 2016. Helfrich was circling the drain after hiring Brady Hoke as DC. Herbert was offered as an afterthought.

Herbert was not Oregon’s top-rated QB in that class.

Herbert’s uncle may be a Dawg, but his parents and family are Ducks and close friends with the Wilcox family.

Justin grew up going to Duck games and his brother is currently a TE on Oregon.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,548
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

Herbert was in the Class of 2016. Helfrich was circling the drain after hiring Brady Hoke as DC. Herbert was offered as an afterthought.

Herbert was not Oregon’s top-rated QB in that class.

Herbert’s uncle may be a Dawg, but his parents and family are Ducks and close friends with the Wilcox family.

Justin grew up going to Duck games and his brother is currently a TE on Oregon.

Sounds like he sound have listened to his uncle.

Being a Husky Legend >>> being Lord of the quooks
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

trublue said:

NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN rated Ekpre-Olomu as the top senior cornerback available in the 2015 NFL draft.

However, an anterior cruciate ligament injury (ACL) he suffered in December 2014 during practice left many teams no longer interested in him. Ekpre-Olomu later revealed that he had also dislocated his knee. He underwent two major reconstructive surgeries, with his ACL reconstruction being much more extensive than usual.

Look if all of you won't just agree with me I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Also, the internet has revealed Kiper to be a dumb fuck that doesn't know anymore than all of the other dipshits making mock drafts on the internet for the most part.
    I said you were probably handsome.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    trublue said:

Wholley has a highlight reel.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam