Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

UW offense question for the board

longduckdonglongduckdong Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,024 Swaye's Wigwam
Looking for “higher level” discussion on what makes UW passing attack so great?

This was first year in forever that by the end of the season when it was 3rd and 8 i just assumed they would get it.

Im not Xs Os person at all and curious of any insight.

WR seemed open at all times.

I emailed Fishduck for his insight for info and he/him has yet to respond.

Comments

• Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,739
    BDE from coach, coordinator, and QB.

Talented WR's schemed open with generational talent pulling the trigger.

Penix is essentially playing at the Joe Burrow LSU level but surrounded with lesser talent (even though the WRs are very good, don't twist).

Good protection too, combined with average to below average defensive opponents.
  • longduckdonglongduckdong Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,024 Swaye's Wigwam

Ask your husband while you make him a sandwich

Sorry i hurt your feelings earlier.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Difference between Donavan and Grubb offense is night and day.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,895 Founders Club

I don't have feelings
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022
    edited December 2022

I don't have feelings
    Can verify.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,623 Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Not true X and O hot talk, but quick thoughts:

How many times in the past did we not do what we were good at because that's what the defense expects us to do so we're going to be smart cute and do the opposite thing which we suck at but at least the defense won't expect it then fuck up because we suck at it ha ha he he ho ho.

One thing we do well is unapologetically attack to our strengths.

It's cliche, but we literally blow the top off of defenses. It's not just the threat of going deep, but the fact we take shots pretty much every series that loosens up the intermediate routes. We're also unpredictable because we take chances. The 3rd and 7 Bomb against Oregon is a perfect example, Oregon sitting at the first down marker opened up the window just enough for Penix to let it rip.

The offense executes at a high level under stressful circumstances. The opposite of Petersen's teams.

We operate like we don't respect the defense, whether trying to get a first down or just trying to score.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,556 Founders Club
    haie said:

Doogles said:

How many times in the past did we not do what we were good at because that's what the defense expects us to do so we're going to be smart cute and do the opposite thing which we suck at but at least the defense won't expect it then fuck up because we suck at it ha ha he he ho ho.

It's cliche, but we literally blow the top off of defenses. It's not just the threat of going deep, but the fact we take shots pretty much every series that loosens up the intermediate routes. We're also unpredictable because we take chances. The 3rd and 7 Bomb against Oregon is a perfect example, Oregon sitting at the first down marker opened up the window just enough for Penix to let it rip.

The offense executes at a high level under stressful circumstances. The opposite of Petersen's teams.

We operate like we don't respect the defense, whether trying to get a first down or just trying to score.
    Yep.

Also, Penix has been spectacular, but he's barely been touched all year. The two most recent times he's been forced to make plays on the run he's thrown picks in the redzone. His decision making and accuracy clearly go down when flushed and luckily he's barely had to deal with it.

W/O watching any film so I could be wrong, I imagine his last season at Indiana where he threw more picks than TDs and barely completed 50% had a lot to do with his protection. Oh and he only lasted 5 games.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,623 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    Doogles said:

haie said:

Doogles said:

Yep.

Also, Penix has been spectacular, but he's barely been touched all year. The two most recent times he's been forced to make plays on the run he's thrown picks in the redzone. His decision making and accuracy clearly go down when flushed and luckily he's barely had to deal with it.

W/O watching any film so I could be wrong, I imagine his last season at Indiana where he threw more picks than TDs and barely completed 50% had a lot to do with his protection. Oh and he only lasted 5 games.
    Penix has thrown a pick in every single game this month except Colorado and still comes out with an amazing QBR and having been the main reason we win. With it incredible stats.

That is breaking computer algorithms.