Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jim Leonhard from Wisconsin might be available

Lot of people assumed Leonhard would be the next head coach after he got the interim tag at midseason, but it looks like Bucky Badger is focused on Luke Fickell.

Leonhard would be a helluva pickup as a DC. Pay him around $2M — or maybe go get the guy from Iowa who's making 600k.

We've got a rising star in DeBoer, but the defense has got to be fixed.

Anybody confident we've got the right coaches AND recruiters on that side of the ball?

Comments

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,055 Standard Supporter
    edited November 2022
    He will have his pick of any opening for a dc job. He’s not coming here.
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member Posts: 1,483
    Very interested to see how KDB views that side of the ball and the performance to date. The missed tackles alone are enough for me to want changes.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,861
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited November 2022
    I PM'd Jen and DeBoer. No response yet.
  • LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,708 Standard Supporter
    The selling point is that we get to fire "both" of the Co-Defensive coordinators. Actually, just fire sale every defensive coach - so all these guys:

William Inge Assistant Head Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach
    Chuck Morrell Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties Coach
    Eric Schmidt Special Teams Coordinator/EDGEs Coach
    Inoke Breckterfield Defensive Line Coach
    Julius Brown Cornerbacks Coach
    Nick Brautigam Quality Control - Defense
    C.J. McGorisk Quality Control - Defense
    Jaylen Johnson Graduate Assistant - Defense
    Eric Amoako Graduate Assistant - Defense
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,505 Swaye's Wigwam

This might not be a top destination but with Deboner on offense and going 10-2 a defensive coach is definitely going to view this as a rosy destination.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,067 Founders Club

We can settle on this guy after making Saban say no.

I'm only asking Saban if Belicheck turns us down.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam
    I like what Beavis does on defense. Is it a bad idea to try and steal their staff?

They and Cal played the best D UW saw all season. Make Peter Simon say no?
  • chuck said:

Make Peter Simon say no?

Yay.

Maybe we can finagle another season of Jackson Sirmon as a bonus
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,831 Founders Club

Lot of people assumed Leonhard would be the next head coach after he got the interim tag at midseason, but it looks like Bucky Badger is focused on Luke Fickell.

Leonhard would be a helluva pickup as a DC. Pay him around $2M — or maybe go get the guy from Iowa who's making 600k.

We've got a rising star in DeBoer, but the defense has got to be fixed.

Anybody confident we've got the right coaches AND recruiters on that side of the ball?

I’m pretty sure the DC at Iowa makes over a million.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,470 Swaye's Wigwam
    The silver lining of the defensive performance last night was that DeBoer has no excuse to not make changes if he wants to run a real program. Up until yesterday the defense showed minor improvements and could have been sold as going in the right direction. Cougs showed that was a mirage and SHOULD force change
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Make Peter Simon say no?

Yay.

Maybe we can finagle another season of Jackson Sirmon as a bonus
    It was a joke. No ties to the Sark era. I don't promote recycling failed coaches whether their shittiness was wscusable or not.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,910 Standard Supporter
    Totally agree the D needs help. Beyond dispute.

But if the O doesn't turn the ball over twice, the score is 60+ to 25, and the game is over by mid to late third quarter.

Imagine this year without Penix.

Offense needs a lot of help, too.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,707 Founders Club

This might not be a top destination but with Deboner on offense and going 10-2 a defensive coach is definitely going to view this as a rosy destination.
    Do you mean top destination based on quality of conference and or exposure? If someone offered to pay me millions of dollars and a government pension for the rest of my life, the PNW would be in rhe top 3 regions for me.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,623 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    chuck said:

But if the O doesn't turn the ball over twice, the score is 60+ to 25, and the game is over by mid to late third quarter.

UWs front owned the WSU line the entire game. If they knew how to tackle WSU would've struggled to get two scores. Instead of wearing down from getting to the QB, missing and chasing him every play, they got stronger as the game went on. By the end it was the cuog OL, QB, and RBs that were gimping around looking tired and beat up

It's worth noting when considering possible staff shakeup that the defense improved and made plays late that gave UW a chance to win several of those last 6 games.
    I tried to tell all the metrics geeks that said this game was a toss up.

Even if you take away Colorado UW is probably outscoring their last 3-4 opponents somewhere around 30-10, with the 7 coming from Cal when UW was up 2 scores at the end.

That's S&C, creativity, and adjustments. UW dominated all these staffs when it got down to it.

Metrics don't differentiate 4th quarter from 1st quarter, where in a close game teams are just feeling each other out and aren't making the biggest adjustments.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,910 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

UWs front owned the WSU line the entire game. If they knew how to tackle WSU would've struggled to get two scores. Instead of wearing down from getting to the QB, missing and chasing him every play, they got stronger as the game went on. By the end it was the cuog OL, QB, and RBs that were gimping around looking tired and beat up

It's worth noting when considering possible staff shakeup that the defense improved and made plays late that gave UW a chance to win several of those last 6 games.
    Agreed and Noted. This staff adjusts at the half and has gotten good results. They could use some better players, though.

Perhaps, as Dick Baird used to say, "sometimes it's not the Xs and Os, but the Jimmys and Joes."

You can shame and shoot me now for quoting Dick Baird.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,636

chuck said:

Agreed and Noted. This staff adjusts at the half and has gotten good results. They could use some better players, though.

Perhaps, as Dick Baird used to say, "sometimes it's not the Xs and Os, but the Jimmys and Joes."

You can shame and shoot me now for quoting Dick Baird.
    Yeah, I'm not sure DeBoer will make any changes with the way the D has played in 2nd halves, particularly at full strength. When the new staff took over, the CBs were bad and / or inexperienced and the LBs weren't that much better so both needed new blood.

There wasn't really any NFL talent left on the D side of the ball...Trice sticks out the most and Hampton somewhat too, but outside of them, Martin and ZTF are later round picks and Tuli L. needs to show more play-making ability / consistency next year.

DeBoer just may want to see how the D staff does together in Year 2 with a decent amount of two deeps returning and some good portals / JCs. I thought Jaivion Green and Jayvon Parker looked promising as true frosh and Tristan Dunn could be a stud at SS / Husky.

So yeah, the D staff could look better with the returning guys being a year better and a new infusion of one or two Edge transfers, 1 or 2 LB transfers, and 1 or 2 CB transfers.