Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Better NBA Player

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
"Scientific" poll for some other people ... field isn't an option as a result (hardy har har

Better NBA Player 12 votes

Wilt Chamberlain
16%
Fire_Marshall_BillDoogles 2 votes
Bill Russell
75%
TierbsHsotBoobsBennyBeaverQuornDawgCuntWaffle[Deleted User]GladstonedncTequillaPurpleMicrodot 9 votes
Magic Johnson
8%
[Deleted User] 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Bill Russell
    It's either Russell or Magic. I never saw Russell play but 11 rings puts him at #2 all time for me. I love everything Magic could do though. I'd probably take Kareem over Wilt too, btw.

Mike
    Russell
    Magic
    Bird
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Oscar
    Kobe
    Duncan
    LeBron

I really have no idea where to rank LeBron right now. I feel like he ends up a lot higher on this list but if his career ended today I'm not sure I could put him ahead of anyone else listed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Bill Russell
    Down voted for having Kobe ahead of Lebron.

Lebron has more MVP's, higher PER, higher PPG, higher RPG, higher APG, better FG %, better 3 pt FG% too.

Kobe has him beat on rings but was robin for three of them.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bill Russell

Lebron has more MVP's, higher PER, higher PPG, higher RPG, higher APG, better FG %, better 3 pt FG% too.

I readily admit that Bron's a better player than Kobe, but IMO when evaluating the best of all time you're ranking careers not per game excellence. Longevity counts for a lot.

The case for Kobe:

Five more all star games
    Four more all NBA teams
    Seven more all NBA defensive teams
    Four more rings
    One more ring as the alpha dog
    Kobe's three rings as best player came with worst supporting casts than LeBron's two rings as best player

If we're selecting the best guy at their peak I take LeBron. If we're selecting the guy with the best career I don't think it's that close right now, LeBron still needs at least two more excellent seasons to pass him IMO.

Love to see your top 10.
  • Options
    Bill Russell
    Kobe vs. LeBron is a very interesting argument.

DNC makes some good points.

I think Larry Bird made a very good distinction about the two when he said that LeBron would be more fun to play with but Kobe is who you'd want if you want to win championships. I don't think LeBron wants to be great or has the killer instinct like Kobe does.

Normally when they go head to head, Kobe has ended up making the bigger plays and in the 2008 Olympics was the defaulted go to player. Even in the 2012 Olympics, you could argue that LeBron took a back seat in those games to Kevin Durant.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bill Russell
    Tequilla said:

Kobe vs. LeBron is a very interesting argument.

DNC makes some good points.

I think Larry Bird made a very good distinction about the two when he said that LeBron would be more fun to play with but Kobe is who you'd want if you want to win championships. I don't think LeBron wants to be great or has the killer instinct like Kobe does.

Normally when they go head to head, Kobe has ended up making the bigger plays and in the 2008 Olympics was the defaulted go to player. Even in the 2012 Olympics, you could argue that LeBron took a back seat in those games to Kevin Durant.

When did Bird say this? I think it was definitely true at one point, but I think LBJ's developed more of a killer instinct the last few years.

OTOH, you never would have won a game after blowing in Kobe's ear. I'd rather have peak Kobe if I had to win one game though even though Lebron's a better player.

I don't think it's a knock on Lebron to say he doesn't have Kobe's killer instinct though. Kobe is probably the second most competitive player to ever play the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    Bill Russell
    Bird said that when Lebron had zero titles for the record.

So DNC why have Bird so high? He's only played like 65 more career games than Lebron.
  • Options
    Bill Russell
    Tequilla, you realize that Lebron took control of that gold medal game in 2012?

Kobe gets the better of him? Lebron has a commanding HTH W-L advantage over Kobe and Durant.

Please stop spewing bullshit with no facts behind them.
  • Options
    Bill Russell

So DNC why have Bird so high? He's only played like 65 more career games than Lebron.

Are you trying to say that Bird didn't respect LeBron at that point given that he said that he was the best player in the game right now and that it wasn't even close?

Why is Bird valued so high? Beginning in his first year of '79-'80, Bird's teams reached at minimum the conference finals in 8 of his first 9 years in the league.

A common "discrediting" I've heard of Bird was that he played for Boston, played with all of these great players, and that he more or less walked into success. Not so. They won a title in '75-'76. The next year they won 44 games. In '77-'78, the Celtics won 32 games. In '78-'79, they won 29 games.

And if you look at the list of players in the East that he had to go through to get deep into the playoffs every year? It's a who's who list of players to have ever played the game. The Eastern Conference in the 80s was far and away the more difficult of the two conferences.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Kobe only had 2 rings as the best player. One of those times they beat the Magic. There was basically no challenge whatsoever. One of the easiest titles a star ever won. And in the 2010 NBA Finals, Kobe shot 40% including a horrid game 7. Gasol was the reason they won that series, not Kobe.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bill Russell

Does Bill Simmons know you've turned your back on him?

Here we go, the case for Bird:

12 time all star, best player on arguably the second greatest team of all time, 3 rings, two time member of 50-40-90 club, 9 time first team All NBA (Lebron has 7), best white guy ever, etc.

Still waiting for you to nut up and poast your own rankings.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bill Russell

Kobe only had 2 rings as the best player. One of those times they beat the Magic. There was basically no challenge whatsoever. One of the easiest titles a star ever won. And in the 2010 NBA Finals, Kobe shot 40% including a horrid game 7. Gasol was the reason they won that series, not Kobe.

I don't disagree about him only having 2 as the best player on the team, but I find it really weird how people love to shoot down what Kobe has done. 5 titles is still 5 titles. People need to stop treating him like he was Robert Horry.

Obviously most of this is fueled by the whole Lebron v Kobe debate which to me is just as fucking stupid. Lebron fans need to stop comparing everything Lebron does to Kobe if they are going to start making MJ comparisons... it just doesn't make any sense esp now with Bryant out of his prime.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Michael Jordan
    Robert Swift
    Manut Bol
    Kwame Brown
    Jason Collins
    Scott Brooks
    Lebron James
    Nick Van Exel
    Greg Oden

Nice list, but you have to fit in Greg Ostertag somewhere. Great shot blocker and was a real lunch pail kind of guy.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    edited June 2014
    Bill Russell
    Corrected list:

Michael Jordan
    Adam Morrison
    Robert Swift
    Manut Bol
    Kwame Brown
    Jason Collins
    Scott Brooks
    Lebron James
    Nick Van Exel
    Greg Ostertag
    Greg Oden
    Bryant Reeves
    Kevin Durant

Cal
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bill Russell

Michael Jordan
    Robert Swift
    Manut Bol
    Kwame Brown
    Jason Collins
    Scott Brooks
    Lebron James
    Nick Van Exel
    Greg Oden

Nice list, but you have to fit in Greg Ostertag somewhere. Great shot blocker and was a real lunch pail kind of guy.
    Ostertag and Wally Szczerbiak were tough ones to cut out from the group.
  • Options
    Bill Russell
    dnc said:

I readily admit that Bron's a better player than Kobe, but IMO when evaluating the best of all time you're ranking careers not per game excellence. Longevity counts for a lot.

The case for Kobe:

Five more all star games
    Four more all NBA teams
    Four more rings

Kobe's three rings as best player came with worst supporting casts than LeBron's two rings as best player

If we're selecting the best guy at their peak I take LeBron. If we're selecting the guy with the best career I don't think it's that close right now, LeBron still needs at least two more excellent seasons to pass him IMO.

Love to see your top 10.
    Already gave my top 10 in another thread.

Also do you not know how to count ? Kobe won two rings only as the alpha dog(same as Lebron) and has 5 rings. Lebron has led his team to the Finals as an alpha dog 5 times while Kobe has just 3.

BTW, if you want to talk longevity then why is Magic or Bird so high?

Lebron has played 11 seasons, 842 games, 153 playoff games and counting.

Magic played 12 full seasons, 906 games, 190 playoff games

Bird played 13 full seasons(one year he only played 6 games so really only 12 seasons), 897 games, 164 playoff games.

Bill Russell played 13 full seasons, 963 games, 165 playoff games

Michael Jordan played 15 seasons(really only 12 as 2 were with Wizards then that half year) played 1072 games, 179 playoff games.

Just find it weird you use Lebron's lack of time in the game against him when he's not that far off seasons wise or games played to your top four.
  • Options
    Bill Russell

dnc said:

The case for Kobe:

Five more all star games
    Four more all NBA teams
    Four more rings

Love to see your top 10.
    Already gave my top 10 in another thread.

Also do you not know how to count ? Kobe won two rings only as the alpha dog(same as Lebron) and has 5 rings. Lebron has led his team to the Finals as an alpha dog 5 times while Kobe has just 3.

BTW, if you want to talk longevity then why is Magic or Bird so high?

Lebron has played 11 seasons, 842 games, 153 playoff games and counting.

Magic played 12 full seasons, 906 games, 190 playoff games

Bird played 13 full seasons(one year he only played 6 games so really only 12 seasons), 897 games, 164 playoff games.

Bill Russell played 13 full seasons, 963 games, 165 playoff games

Michael Jordan played 15 seasons(really only 12 as 2 were with Wizards then that half year) played 1072 games, 179 playoff games.

Just find it weird you use Lebron's lack of time in the game against him when he's not that far off seasons wise or games played to your top four.
    Chest already poonted out my lack of counting skills. No idea how I whiffed on Kobe's rings, no excuse there.

Magic won 5 rings. There's no way he's not ahead of Lebron. You even have him ahead of Lebron yourself.

Russell won 11 rings. He could have played just 11 seasons and he'd be forever ahead of Lebron based on that alone.

Bird I already analyzed the difference.

"Just find it weird you use Lebron's lack of time in the game against him when he's not that far off seasons wise or games played to your top four."

These are the greatest players of all time, in many ways it's going to be a matter of degree. A couple of seasons matters. Like I said, Bron's probably two excellent seasons away from passing some of these guys up. When it comes to the Kobe comparison specifically I think 15 All NBAs and the second most points scored of all time carries more value than Lebrons 9 and higher per game production. You disagree, which is fine. Ultimately I will almost assuredly have Lebron ahead of Kobe. I don't think his career has been better yet.