Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dan Lanning: "Even if I took the Auburn job, it wouldn't be until after the Oregon State game"

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,948
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
would be a shocking headline to see this week

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Better chance of Lanning going back to the SEC than Kiffin jumping from Ole Miss.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

Better chance of Lanning going back to the SEC than Kiffin jumping from Ole Miss.

😂
  • Options
    flatusflatus Member Posts: 876
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Standard Supporter

would be a shocking headline to see this week

Our trajectory since Slingblade is that each coach has improved the program despite leaving unceremoniously. I doubt Lanning leaves this year but he will in the next 1-3 years. So what. Just like in facilities, uniforms, offensive innovation, and smoking it all, Oregon has shown that it's two steps ahead of everyone else in the West since football was invented in 1994. The coaching transfer portal is the latest example. Outside of Alabama, coaching stability is for losers.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Lanning will take his success at Oregon and slide right into the HC job at Bama when NS decides he’s not into the grind anymore. Cook it!
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I do too. Why deny it? You guys suck but it's still fun to beat your asses. It's a rivalry
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,456
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW should pump in Shout and then get a bunch of poor people to dress up in togas and dance to it on the sidelines.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I’m surprised to hear the Slick Willy T improved the program.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

No one doublethinks bad seasons and coaches out of their brains quite like duck fans.
  • Options
    haie said:

No one doublethinks bad seasons and coaches out of their brains quite like duck fans.
    Yeah they ALWAYS do that, this one time on a message board.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Maybe stick to 4-5% beers dude.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Recruiting was absolutely better with 1 year of Willy T. He brought meat et al with him. Meat was shitty coach but helluva recruiter.

Oregon not #6 in CFP rankings today without the Willie Tugger hire. We'd be garbage if he'd stayed, but he didn't so there it is.
  • Options
    haie said:

haie said:

Maybe stick to 4-5% beers dude.
    You’re having an absolute nightmare on here pal. Stick to the white trash stuff.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

flatus said:

Recruiting was absolutely better with 1 year of Willy T. He brought meat et al with him. Meat was shitty coach but helluva recruiter.

Oregon not #6 in CFP rankings today without the Willie Tugger hire. We'd be garbage if he'd stayed, but he didn't so there it is.
    At some point isn't Oregon recruiting a function o the school more than the coach? Not to say those guys weren't great recruiters but there was never even a blip as they came and went

I think when Husky fans complain about the administration that is what we? have in mind. Petersen gave a shit about recruiting for a minute then didn't and talent has dropped steadily. There is nothing to keep it going
    “Oregon recruits itself?” I’m not opposed to that opinion.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

flatus said:

At some point isn't Oregon recruiting a function o the school more than the coach? Not to say those guys weren't great recruiters but there was never even a blip as they came and went

I think when Husky fans complain about the administration that is what we? have in mind. Petersen gave a shit about recruiting for a minute then didn't and talent has dropped steadily. There is nothing to keep it going
    The entire school and AD actively recruits at Oregon and has been aince Bellotti was still there.. I know that's just paraphrasing what Race said but it bears repeating. UO, in terms of how they value and promote football, is the anti UW.
  • Options

46XiJCAB said:

flatus said:

More like Oregon puts everything they can into recruiting

Since the Hookers and Blow Center early this century it's only got more pronounced. Nothing wrong with going to the echo of the whistle on NIL and the like
    I think the AD has put star recruiter into the requirements during coaching searches. It hasn’t happened by mistake.

MC only got the job because they thought they would/could hold onto most of that class and good recruiters will always be in demand. They’re willing to take that gamble instead of settling for your Wilcox “he’ll be here forever” losers.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

flatus said:

Yes, but Oregon wasn't recruiting at a high level until Willie and Meat. We had one class under Chip that was around #10, otherwise barely top 25 every year. Even worse with Slingblade despite 2 natty appearances in 5 years.

School and its brand wasn't enough, as evidenced by what Willie and Meat were able to accomplish. Most of that was Meat even when Willie was coach but still credit to the Tugger for bringing him to Eugene.

I think it's correct that recruiting may be less dependent on the coach now than it once was, hence why I'm not overly worried about losing Lanning. But we? do need coaches who are elite recruiters thereby leveraging the brand and the evolving NIL pay-for-play nightmare. I hate the NIL in principle but it is more likely to benefit than hurt my? Ducks. Not so sure about UW.....
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,200
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    flatus said:

flatus said:

Yes, but Oregon wasn't recruiting at a high level until Willie and Meat. We had one class under Chip that was around #10, otherwise barely top 25 every year. Even worse with Slingblade despite 2 natty appearances in 5 years.

School and its brand wasn't enough, as evidenced by what Willie and Meat were able to accomplish. Most of that was Meat even when Willie was coach but still credit to the Tugger for bringing him to Eugene.

I think it's correct that recruiting may be less dependent on the coach now than it once was, hence why I'm not overly worried about losing Lanning. But we? do need coaches who are elite recruiters thereby leveraging the brand and the evolving NIL pay-for-play nightmare. I hate the NIL in principle but it is more likely to benefit than hurt my? Ducks. Not so sure about UW.....
    Fair however Willie and Meat were recruiting off of the success of Chip and Helfrich in the playoffs

Chip recruited winning football players. He was underrated as a recruiter. Helfrich needed more time IMO. Lots more

Bellotti cobbled together a winning tradition based on the brand. When he took over Oregon had nothing other than a Rose Bowl loss and Phil

Of course it's always going to be a combo

Back in ancient Greece James won Rose Bowls with leftovers then won an alleged natty with top recruits. Then UW dropped football. Oregon won't do that