Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

As of 10/23, who is the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year?

Comments

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Michael Penix, Jr. (UW)
    Valid points. I do wonder how this bored would view them if the jerseys switched colours. Probably would be pissed at Nix for leaving the pocket too early
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Bo Nix (Oregon)
    If Penix had put up 45 points against UCLA like Nix did UW would be 6-1, just like Oregon.

Savior QBs figure out how to make the team win.

Much in the same way people didn’t understand how good WE had it with a decade+ of RBs people didn’t understand just how bad the QB play has been and their views are warped.

Penix is about what sophomore Price was. Although I’ve been disappointed with his deep accuracy and limited running/scrambling ability.

Penix has benefited a lot from dominate pass blocking, some pretty good WRs, and an absolute dreckfest of opponents too.

Penix lost to DTR, he has to beat Nix to really be considered.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,327
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

In 5 of the Ducks 7 games they had more points at halftime than their opponent scored the entire game.

Washington also tends to double their opponent's score at halftime, this just doesn't seem to stop them from almost losing anyway.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,002
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dtd said:

Canadawg said:

Nix has like 2100 total yards. Penix has 2950. Maffs hard

UW is the new WSU potd.

Penix is the best passer in the conference, no doubt. He's also played into the 4th quarter of every game but Portland St, while Oregon is blowing teams out early. UW has to throw 50 times a game to beat Arizona and CAL.

In 5 of the Ducks 7 games they had more points at halftime than their opponent scored the entire game.
    UGA, true?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Canadawg said:

Saying "QB" lost to "team" is mouthbreather logic. Take it back to Twitter

Sometimes it is. When comparing the two games against UCLA specifically the biggest difference by far is Penix's two INTs to Nix's 0.

Nix is conference POY until he isn't.
    There's no way something like this isn't going to be apples to oranges. There's a who should deserve an award like this then a who will get an award like this. Based off the latter, just hand the trophy to the QB of the winning team. It's both too early in the season for this conversation to happen and who cares anyway, but to address the specific point above, Bo Nix has been down in exactly two games this year. Right after getting down on both occasions, he threw an interception. When you feel like you have to play hero ball and score on every drive, sometimes a QB will panic and start throwing hero balls into triple coverage. Only against Georgia and possibly Cuog has Nix been under the pressure to score that Penix has been under on just about every single drive. Interesting that they've scored TDs on opening drives at a pretty insane clip, when there's no pressure to do so. Apples to Oranges.

That being said, Penix has warts that people ignore because the offense has been effective anyway (against mostly dreck defenses). He completes a lot of passes, but 90% of his throws are just a little off. The kind of throws where even though it's a completion for a first down, it might have gone for another 10 yards if it hit the front shoulder. That sort of thing. He's an excellent college QB that could be great if he were just slightly more accurate. He also tends to lock onto a receiver based off the pre-snap read. Defenses that shift coverage prior to the snap like UCLA and ASU did have caused problems for him.

I haven't watched Nix once this year, so no idea how that compares. Considering the point that Oregon has taken the foot off the gas in most games, had to play Georgia, Washington is the new WSU, yadda yadda yadda, they have similar numbers and play in very different offenses and with very different pressure put on them by their respective defenses.

So who cares.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

TheHB said:

Gave it to the duck because of his ability to run and make things happen. Penix is having a killer year, but without the protection he’s received, not sure he’d be able to improvise like Nix has so far.

Nix is nowhere near the passer that Penix is.

Nix has had a couple good games but I don't think his scrambling completely offsets Penix's superiority and consistency as a passer.

If Penix is QB at Oregon they don't get raped by Georgia and are probably a better team overall.
    Lol.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,610
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

TheHB said:

Gave it to the duck because of his ability to run and make things happen. Penix is having a killer year, but without the protection he’s received, not sure he’d be able to improvise like Nix has so far.

Nix has had a couple good games but I don't think his scrambling completely offsets Penix's superiority and consistency as a passer.

If Penix is QB at Oregon they don't get raped by Georgia and are probably a better team overall.
    Lol.
    Nix is coming off his best game of the year so the ball gurgling is in high-gear.

But going 21/37 for 173 yards, 0 TD and 2 INT, is part of why Oregon got dragged by Georgia. Nix has been noncompetitive at times this year. Just a fact.

If your team is down 17 points who do you want at QB, Nix or Penix? That's how I judge QBs.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,379
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bo Nix (Oregon)

TheHB said:

Lol.
    If your team is down 17 points who do you want at QB, Nix or Penix? That's how I judge QBs.
    It wouldn't matter with UW's defense.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

TheHB said:

Lol.
    Nix is coming off his best game of the year so the ball gurgling is in high-gear.

But going 21/37 for 173 yards, 0 TD and 2 INT, is part of why Oregon got dragged by Georgia. Nix has been noncompetitive at times this year. Just a fact.

Is this supposed to be some kind of analysis or proof to put me in my place? You basically assumed the validity of your conclusion in a couple of your premises. We call that question begging. I have no fucking idea how Penix would have fared against Ga in those same circumstances, nor do you. I just know against a common opponent, UCLA's historically oppressive home field advantage notwithstanding, Nix played great in the air and on the ground (modern QBs are judged by both) and Penix threw two horrible pix. If we're dissecting advantages and making rationalizations, Penix has a couple or three WRs better than anybody Nix throws to, Nix has a better running game and better defense. Sure, he played shitty against GA, but then Penix hasn't really played anybody other than UCLA and wasn't as good against them as was Nix. If you re-read your post, it will be evident the only one here gurgling balls is you. I'm not trying to be tough like I was with the Utah rose bowl thread. Just how I see it. Don't take it personally. I'm not saying Nix is objectively better than Penix; I am saying he's done more in league play to get the nod to date. Good news for Penix is he has three more decent teams in front of him to carve up and make his case.
  • Options

dnc said:

Canadawg said:

Sometimes it is. When comparing the two games against UCLA specifically the biggest difference by far is Penix's two INTs to Nix's 0.

There's no way something like this isn't going to be apples to oranges. There's a who should deserve an award like this then a who will get an award like this. Based off the latter, just hand the trophy to the QB of the winning team. It's both too early in the season for this conversation to happen and who cares anyway, but to address the specific point above, Bo Nix has been down in exactly two games this year. Right after getting down on both occasions, he threw an interception. When you feel like you have to play hero ball and score on every drive, sometimes a QB will panic and start throwing hero balls into triple coverage. Only against Georgia and possibly Cuog has Nix been under the pressure to score that Penix has been under on just about every single drive. Interesting that they've scored TDs on opening drives at a pretty insane clip, when there's no pressure to do so. Apples to Oranges.

That being said, Penix has warts that people ignore because the offense has been effective anyway (against mostly dreck defenses). He completes a lot of passes, but 90% of his throws are just a little off. The kind of throws where even though it's a completion for a first down, it might have gone for another 10 yards if it hit the front shoulder. That sort of thing. He's an excellent college QB that could be great if he were just slightly more accurate. He also tends to lock onto a receiver based off the pre-snap read. Defenses that shift coverage prior to the snap like UCLA and ASU did have caused problems for him.

I haven't watched Nix once this year, so no idea how that compares. Considering the point that Oregon has taken the foot off the gas in most games, had to play Georgia, Washington is the new WSU, yadda yadda yadda, they have similar numbers and play in very different offenses and with very different pressure put on them by their respective defenses.

So who cares.
    I mean, it's not like these two fuckers aren't going to play each other. One of the cardinal rules around here is winners win, so when we? have head to head, that ends the discussion. So, agree. Plus, USC has a guy pulling the trigger who's pretty good and hasn't DQ'd himself just yet.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,116
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Write-In

TheHB said:

Lol.

You're fucking horrible at this. What other game was nix "noncompetitive"? He has 25 fucking TDs and 1 TO since UGA.

Down 12 to WSU with 5 to play:

1st & 10 at ORE 25
    (6:41 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Chase Cota for 18 yds to the Oregn 43 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at ORE 43
    (6:17 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Moliki Matavao for 8 yds to the WshSt 49

2nd & 2 at WSU 49
    (5:58 - 4th) Bo Nix pass incomplete

3rd & 2 at WSU 49
    (5:54 - 4th) Bo Nix pass incomplete

4th & 2 at WSU 49
    (5:48 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Bucky Irving for 21 yds to the WshSt 28 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at WSU 28
    (5:24 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Chase Cota for 5 yds to the WshSt 23

2nd & 5 at WSU 23
    (4:53 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Kris Hutson for 6 yds to the WshSt 17 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at WSU 17
    (4:37 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Kris Hutson for 6 yds to the WshSt 11

2nd & 4 at WSU 11
    (4:13 - 4th) Noah Whittington run for 10 yds to the WshSt 1 for a 1ST down

1st & Goal at WSU 1
    (3:54 - 4th) Bo Nix run for no gain to the WshSt 1

2nd & Goal at WSU 1
    (3:48 - 4th) Cam McCormick 1 Yd pass from Bo Nix (Camden Lewis Kick)

1st & 10 at ORE 31
    (2:35 - 4th) Bucky Irving run for 8 yds to the Oregn 39

2nd & 2 at ORE 39
    (2:11 - 4th) Bucky Irving run for 2 yds to the Oregn 41 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at ORE 41
    (2:03 - 4th) Bo Nix pass incomplete

2nd & 10 at ORE 41
    (1:55 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Troy Franklin for 9 yds to the 50 yard line

3rd & 1 at 50
    (1:21 - 4th) Troy Franklin 50 Yd pass from Bo Nix (Bo Nix Run for Two-Point Conversion)

because you're too fucking stupid to keep up, that's 9/11 for 134 yards and two TDs in the last 4 minutes of the game, to win it.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Michael Penix, Jr. (UW)
    dtd said:

TheHB said:

Lol.

You're fucking horrible at this. What other game was nix "noncompetitive"? He has 25 fucking TDs and 1 TO since UGA.

Down 12 to WSU with 5 to play:

1st & 10 at ORE 25
    (6:41 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Chase Cota for 18 yds to the Oregn 43 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at ORE 43
    (6:17 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Moliki Matavao for 8 yds to the WshSt 49

2nd & 2 at WSU 49
    (5:58 - 4th) Bo Nix pass incomplete

3rd & 2 at WSU 49
    (5:54 - 4th) Bo Nix pass incomplete

4th & 2 at WSU 49
    (5:48 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Bucky Irving for 21 yds to the WshSt 28 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at WSU 28
    (5:24 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Chase Cota for 5 yds to the WshSt 23

2nd & 5 at WSU 23
    (4:53 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Kris Hutson for 6 yds to the WshSt 17 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at WSU 17
    (4:37 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Kris Hutson for 6 yds to the WshSt 11

2nd & 4 at WSU 11
    (4:13 - 4th) Noah Whittington run for 10 yds to the WshSt 1 for a 1ST down

1st & Goal at WSU 1
    (3:54 - 4th) Bo Nix run for no gain to the WshSt 1

2nd & Goal at WSU 1
    (3:48 - 4th) Cam McCormick 1 Yd pass from Bo Nix (Camden Lewis Kick)

1st & 10 at ORE 31
    (2:35 - 4th) Bucky Irving run for 8 yds to the Oregn 39

2nd & 2 at ORE 39
    (2:11 - 4th) Bucky Irving run for 2 yds to the Oregn 41 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at ORE 41
    (2:03 - 4th) Bo Nix pass incomplete

2nd & 10 at ORE 41
    (1:55 - 4th) Bo Nix pass complete to Troy Franklin for 9 yds to the 50 yard line

3rd & 1 at 50
    (1:21 - 4th) Troy Franklin 50 Yd pass from Bo Nix (Bo Nix Run for Two-Point Conversion)

because you're too fucking stupid to keep up, that's 9/11 for 134 yards and two TDs in the last 4 minutes of the game, to win it.
    He’s got a point.

But caring about post season awards is Interesting for about 20 seconds before nobody should really give a shit. Just win the games.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Canadawg said:

So who cares.
    I mean, it's not like these two fuckers aren't going to play each other. One of the cardinal rules around here is winners win, so when we? have head to head, that ends the discussion. So, agree. Plus, USC has a guy pulling the trigger who's pretty good and hasn't DQ'd himself just yet.
    Unless one of them plays defense, this is even less irrelevant than comparing performances against a common opponent (which is a pretty fair point). Besides, if it wasn't clear that the whole point of my 500 word post was to sneak in "Penix has warts," then I fucked up.
  • Options

dnc said:

Canadawg said:

So who cares.
    Unless one of them plays defense, this is even less irrelevant than comparing performances against a common opponent (which is a pretty fair point). Besides, if it wasn't clear that the whole point of my 500 word post was to sneak in "Penix has warts," then I fucked up.
    "less irrelevant"

ISWYDT

OTOH, our? "winners win" ethos crowns the champs. Pitchers and QBs get an disproportionate share of the credit and the blame. This is America damnit. Penix goes down and lights Oregon up, this is settled IMO.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Bo Nix (Oregon)

TheHB said:

Lol.

When a play breaks down I like a QB that can scramble 80 yards for a TD. Who do you want in that situation, Penix or Nix? Nix converted two 4th down runs on Saturday, the second was pure athleticism. I do not for a minute believe Penix could have made that play. If Penix were at Oregon he wouldn't be throwing the ball at the pace he is at UW. Oregon has a running game. They still lose a UGA, badly.