Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ok

with a competent defense we are 7-1 at the best 8-0. Fire Morrel thanks.

Comments

• AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,739
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member Posts: 1,480
    Cal is elite? Lol
  • DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,325
    are you saying this from your heart of hearts?

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam
    DucksFC said:

are you saying this from your heart of hearts?

In my heart of hearts I know *our defensive staff is doing everything possible to win games.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,635
    I actually thought Cal had a couple of pretty good WRs, lead by J. Michael Sturtevant or whatever his name is. Their #2 was pretty good too.

I mostly blame the previous staff for being poor recruiters at the LB and DB positions for the 2020 and 2021 classes. Gregory got lucky with Bruener being a legacy but that's about it. Lake gave up on recruiting once he became HC and it is glaring that (arguably) the best Husky CB is a former walk-on in Mish Powell (who should be 100% after the bye week).

The current staff is making a mistake in treating Perryman as a lock-down cover corner because he is not. They put him on an island too much and unless he is still dealing with that leg injury, he clearly isn't a #1 CB on a good team. If Lake had recruited better (Spears will transfer, Dylan McCutheon won't play until next year), Banks wouldn't be seeing snaps until 2023 but the talent / depth isn't there so he's been forced into service a year early. As Don James said, the best time to play freshmen and sophomores is when they're juniors and seniors.

The staff will again need to go after a transfer LB (at least for depth) and a transfer CB to potentially start but who is better than Perryman. That will be yet another indictment of the previous staff because what we will see on the field in 2023 generally happened in recruiting a few years ago (2020 and 2021 classes particularly).

Fortunately Alonzo T., Bruener, and Eddie O. should be back at LB (with Heimuli providing depth) and Mish Powell, Turner, Hampton, and Kam F. back in the secondary with Devon Banks as the #3 corner assuming the staff gets a good transfer to start with Powell. Maybe the staff can flip Wagoner or Pressley so that one of them battles with Curley Reed to be the true frosh to get meaningful snaps.

How I see it next year:

Edge: Trice
    NT: Tuli L.
    DT: Tuitele
    Edge: ZTF or Smalls or Transfer
    LB: Tuputala
    LB: Bruener / Eddie O.
    Husky: Dom Hampton
    CB: Powell
    FS: Turner
    SS: Dunn
    CB: Transfer / Banks / Green
  • DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708
    I see lots of transfers. If I’m a UW defensive Coach for any position other than DL I’m feeling my seat get warm.

So far we’re seeing the Reverse Lake. DeBoer made a huge improvement in offense and then found a way to bring the John Donovan’s of Defense along with him.

I expect the coaches to cut bait with the players they don’t trust, in the hopes of bringing in some talent that is a little proven. After seeing the team through spring/summer camp and half a season they should have a good grasp of kids worth putting the effort into.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,830 Founders Club
    I think Evan Williams the All-MW safety at Fresno has a Covid year left. He’d be a major upgrade over Cook. Start there and Go get him.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022

with a competent defense we are 7-1 at the best 8-0. Fire Morrel thanks.

Isn't 8-0 by definition the best scenario? Come on Fudgie. Tighten it up.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022

I think the coaches on the defensive side have shown they're a weak link, but let's be honest that there is jack shit for talent on that side once you move past the D-line.

It doesn't take much to stick to Cal's shitty receivers for more than three seconds. Does anyone even remember a linebacker making a play? The entire back seven is a fucking train wreck. Not having top tier P5 talent is a dumbshit talking point when they're playing FCS quality ball.
    There is no one in our back 7 that could even sniff special teams on one of our defenses under Kwat. There is a complete lack of talent back there, especially in the secondary. Our competition for best DB is between a shitty WR and Trevor Lawrence with downs and low T.
    I don't know about talent, but the one thing that even I can see watching the games is a lack of intensity for the tackle among the DBs. They look the way players look when they're playing badly hurt and being careful to not make it worse. Nothing in the zip code of what it looks like when, say, a McDuffie or a Murphy is going in for a tackle.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,505 Swaye's Wigwam
    The coaching for the back 7 has been shitty from game 1 irregardless of the talent.

Doing less with less is a good way to continue to get less.

Good coaches will bring in good talent.

Blaming the level of talent is myopic.