Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

1st in Passing Yards per Game (380)
8th in Points per Game (42.1)
9th in Total Yards offense per Game (512.3)
Most Yards in nation by QB, Michael Penix, 2560
9th most receiving yards by a WR, Rome Odunze, 693

20TD to 4INT for Penix, completing 67.4% of his passes, sacked 3 times all year.

This is a good offense. Is it a "normal" husky offense where we "Run the Damn Ball" - no, but you can't argue with the effectiveness of the O and the days of being a top tier "RTDB" college football team are long gone. You've got to have a high flying offense to compete and we sure as hell do have one this year.

Defense is a big problem, obviously.
- Is it the athletes?
- Is it the coaching/scheme?

Looking at our defensive unit, I feel like we have the athletes on the D-line. We're very thin at LB and lack quality athletes and are probably even more thin in the secondary. I am not so sure that coaching and scheme is the problem just yet. Fresno state did not give up a ton of points last year with a lot of the same coaches.

We have something here with Deboer and Grubb. Let's get some better athletes in here on D via recruiting and see what happens. Deboer is unlikely to make coaching changes on D after this season, frankly.

Comments

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,470 Swaye's Wigwam
    The DBs and Safeties aren't just not making plays they're often confused presnap and 5 yards from the receiver when the ball arrives. That's not only poor talent doing that
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    Careful with all the negativity toward the coaching about the defense. Some panties are bound to be bunched around here from such talk.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,672 Standard Supporter
    I looked at those numbers and came out with we should score in the 50"s this week.

Trends, I like trends.
    Will probably give up 60
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    I think largely a talent issue. Too many of the existing "stars"...aren't. Too easy to LEAVE when there's a coaching change, and too little P5/big win history for DeBoer to convince some talent to stay. If he's the guy that will change and DeBoer will convince more difference-makers to come here. If not, he's gone. EWIWBI
    Ole Miss brought in like 17 transfers IIRC and is undefeated and #7. Penix is basically an advertisement for his offense and hopefully can extend us from 5 to 6 and onward towards respectability.
  • DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,489

The defensive staff has a teaching problem I think. At least in the secondary. Bad tackling, horrible angles, bad coverage, face guarding and getting juked, giving up the inside with zero help. I don’t understand the rotation either.

This is probably the worst I remember our secondary playing over the past 30 years. We should be experts on shit football by now enough to trust what we see.

The 2008 Huskies Secondary has entered the chat.

That said, the last several years we've had 2,3 or 4 guys playing in the secondary that ultimately make it to the NFL. We don't have any guys in our secondary playing in games right now that are going to the NFL. This is a recruiting problem...when did we stop recruiting DBs and Safeties? Quite a while ago.

3 safeties recruited in '22 - all 3 *s
    21 class has corners and safeties but they appear to be largely whiffs. Maybe Banks will become a contributor.
    20 class had Covington
    19 had McDuffie, KamFab, Cam Williams

Some of the '18 guys are still here I think but recruiting for the secondary has been a weak point for some time.

I see 3, maybe 4 guys verbally commited for the secondary in the 2023 class. Gonna need some transfers.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,055 Standard Supporter

The defensive staff has a teaching problem I think. At least in the secondary. Bad tackling, horrible angles, bad coverage, face guarding and getting juked, giving up the inside with zero help. I don’t understand the rotation either.

This is probably the worst I remember our secondary playing over the past 30 years. We should be experts on shit football by now enough to trust what we see.

The 2008 Huskies Secondary has entered the chat.

That said, the last several years we've had 2,3 or 4 guys playing in the secondary that ultimately make it to the NFL. We don't have any guys in our secondary playing in games right now that are going to the NFL. This is a recruiting problem...when did we stop recruiting DBs and Safeties? Quite a while ago.

3 safeties recruited in '22 - all 3 *s
    21 class has corners and safeties but they appear to be largely whiffs. Maybe Banks will become a contributor.
    20 class had Covington
    19 had McDuffie, KamFab, Cam Williams

Some of the '18 guys are still here I think but recruiting for the secondary has been a weak point for some time.

I see 3, maybe 4 guys verbally commited for the secondary in the 2023 class. Gonna need some transfers.
    Those guys were definitely bad too. Both are unacceptable.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,470 Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Careful with all the negativity toward the coaching about the defense. Some panties are bound to be bunched around here from such talk.

Is this a DM copypasta
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,165

Tripper Johnson is now a baseball agent:

https://www.apexbaseball.com/apex-team

Good for Tripper. Looks like he reps Pete Alonso. Who's his Cy Young winner client?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam
    Jimmy fucked the defense badly for sure, especially the secondary.

As far as the portal goes, I think it's correct that most of the guys you can find at some positions are there because they're bad. Corner and safety may be examples. Basically the positions where players are willing to lipo for 2-3 years before bailing are going to be weaker in the portal than offensive skill spots where top prospects will portal right away at the drop of a hat.

There are big time guys available, but UW won't hang with the big dicks in free agency. I expect good RBs and receivers to come out of the portal. I'm skeptical about dbs though. The competition for the few good ones is too tough.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,567 Swaye's Wigwam

Tripper Johnson is now a baseball agent:

https://www.apexbaseball.com/apex-team

Good for Tripper. Looks like he reps Pete Alonso. Who's his Cy Young winner client?
    Gaylord Perry
  • HHBruhHHBruh Member Posts: 501
    Agree! Was thinking the Coaches want the D to be X but can’t get there with AB or C.

Get the Fuck over it and figure out what you got. Like, I want my car to be fast and turn heads but alas, it’s still a 72 VW squareback.
    Mad_Son said:

Talent is an issue, but maybe we shouldn't play so much man coverage then. Play to the talent you have, not the scheme you want.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,678 Founders Club
    HHBruh said:

Agree! Was thinking the Coaches want the D to be X but can’t get there with AB or C.

Get the Fuck over it and figure out what you got. Like, I want my car to be fast and turn heads but alas, it’s still a 72 VW squareback.

Mad_Son said:

Talent is an issue, but maybe we shouldn't play so much man coverage then. Play to the talent you have, not the scheme you want.

Pretty sure a 72 VW squareback would turn heads