Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why @Swaye loves rapid firing, high capacity rifles

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
If Custer's men had 1873 Winchesters, instead of 1873 Springfield (single shot) Trapdoors, the Swayes would have lost.

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Or if they'd brought the Gatling guns.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

They were a pain in the ass to haul around in the rugged west.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pain in the ass >>>> Dead in the grass
    True that. Moral of the story here, of course, is that for the most part, the citizenry of the 1870's - 1890's had mo' better rifles (Winchester lever guns) than the US Army (Single shot breech loaders).
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

True that. Moral of the story here, of course, is that for the most part, the citizenry of the 1870's - 1890's had mo' better rifles (Winchester lever guns) than the US Army (Single shot breech loaders).
    There is a powerful lesson in what you just typed.
  • Options
    Founders Club

If Custer's men had 1873 Winchesters, instead of 1873 Springfield (single shot) Trapdoors, the Swayes would have lost.

Obligatory "Racist"
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I've always found this period of our nation's firearms history very chinteresting. Winchesters were truly the ARs of the day and yet the Army was stuck on the idea of still using single shot trapdoors well into the early 1890's. Granted the .45-70 was a more powerful round than most of the ones available in a Winchester (1886 Winchester being an exception here).
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I've always found this period of our nation's firearms history very chinteresting. Winchesters were truly the ARs of the day and yet the Army was stuck on the idea of still using single shot trapdoors well into the early 1890's. Granted the .45-70 was a more powerful round than most of the ones available in a Winchester (1886 Winchester being an exception here).
    It was nice when the populace, whether white or red, could actually defend themselves against the government. Today, not so much.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

It was nice when the populace, whether white or red, could actually defend themselves against the government. Today, not so much.
    The reds, blicks, and messicans could definitely used mor and better guns to defend themselves from tyranny of whitey's guvmint and Manifest Destiny.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

The reds, blicks, and messicans could definitely used mor and better guns to defend themselves from tyranny of whitey's guvmint and Manifest Destiny.
    Good to see another one come around to @Dennis_DeYoung and my point of view that everything is better without white people.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Good to see another one come around to @Dennis_DeYoung and my point of view that everything is better without white people.
    Yes and no. Either way it's chinteresting.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,733
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Those were cowboy Kalashnikovs! No one bitched about'em.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

I have a bit of a cowboy action shooting fetish and love lever guns. It's my adult dream to go to Hickok 45's house and blast off an 1895 Marlin in .45-70.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,733
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

I have a bit of a cowboy action shooting fetish and love lever guns. It's my adult dream to go to Hickok 45's house and blast off an 1895 Marlin in .45-70.
    Easy gun to get go grab one. I run an Winchester 1886 Extra Lite that I had re=chambered to 45-90. Loaded it hot and has a bit of recoil! My cowboy fetish is for a Pedersoli Lightening Carbine in 45 Colt. Beautiful.