Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ex-NASA physics professor claims 'many governments' have covered up alien encounters

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'll wait until natural news weighs in.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2018
    When I was in my teens back in Modesto one night I was leaving a friend's house late and saw what looked like a giant fluorescent blue nuvaring speeding silently across the clear starlit sky. It stopped abruptly and sped off in a different direction. The whole sighting was over in about five seconds. I figured it was a UFO because nuvarings hadn't been invented yet
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

When I was in my teens back in Modesto one night I was leaving a friend's house late and saw what looked like a giant fluorescent blue nuvaring speeding silently across the clear starlit sky. It stopped abruptly and sped off in a different direction. The whole sighting was over in about five seconds. I figured it was a UFO because nuvarings hadn't been invented yet

Sounds like nothing special.

Amirite?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    UFOs, global warming, Tang... what kinda fakakta thing will NASA dream up next.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Aliens is the dumbest idea.

If they could reach us they would be so advanced they'd destroy us in a minute.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

That was no alien. It was the loss of your virginity.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    Swaye's Wigwam

This. The time and space involved of another living organism getting here makes it unlikely. And if they could we'd have no shot.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

This. The time and space involved of another living organism getting here makes it unlikely. And if they could we'd have no shot.
    I think it’s fair to consider if they had that kind of technology why would they even bother with us?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think it’s fair to consider if they had that kind of technology why would they even bother with us?
    That's certainly a possibility. Look, I think it's more likely than not there is other life in the Milky Way. But getting a planet like Earth which can sustain life - in spite of many near extinction events - is like a 1 in a billion shot. Our Galaxy is 120,000 light years wide. So what are the odds of another Earth-like situation within, say, just 50 light years of us and they AND they are so much further along than us as a species that they could actually get her. It's pretty damn remote when you think about it.

Also, we have to remember that 99.9999% of all life is primitive on Earth and doesn't know much about astronomy. An evolutionary twist or turn here and there and we are all still monkeys. No SMOD and perhaps Dinos are still here. So, we have to consider not just the probability of other life but the odds of it being evolved.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

That's certainly a possibility. Look, I think it's more likely than not there is other life in the Milky Way. But getting a planet like Earth which can sustain life - in spite of many near extinction events - is like a 1 in a billion shot. Our Galaxy is 120,000 light years wide. So what are the odds of another Earth-like situation within, say, just 50 light years of us and they AND they are so much further along than us as a species that they could actually get her. It's pretty damn remote when you think about it.

Also, we have to remember that 99.9999% of all life is primitive on Earth and doesn't know much about astronomy. An evolutionary twist or turn here and there and we are all still monkeys. No SMOD and perhaps Dinos are still here. So, we have to consider not just the probability of other life but the odds of it being evolved.
    People always ask the question about why the aliens aren't here yet if there are so many.

Usually it is for proponents of the simulation hypothesis. If there WERE aliens, they would be here by now, they say. But here is the thing:

Earth has had the capability to reach other worlds in our own solar system for about 50 years, give or take. We have been utilizing technology that could attract attention for maybe 115.

Considering how damn big the Milky Way is, the odds are that if anyone IS coming, they wouldn't be close yet, because it is an extraordinarily low chance that a. Earth has been detected as a potential civilization worth contacting (considering we can only be heard up to around 115 or so light years away MAX at this point) and b. Like you said, the closest aliens are not likely to be that close. The more likely visitation scenario is in fact the science fiction hypothesis where they come because they need our world- as we are still an anomaly when it comes to conscious life even though there ought to be more in thr galaxy and universe.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,501
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

If aliens could reach us, it's far more likely that they have gotten that far because they figured out that violence is not the answer. A life form that advanced probably has figured out that cooperation and peace are more beneficial. They are probably watching us for fun, or maybe using us for experimentation.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,733
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    PurpleJ said:

If aliens could reach us, it's far more likely that they have gotten that far because they figured out that violence is not the answer. A life form that advanced probably has figured out that cooperation and peace are more beneficial. They are probably watching us for fun, or maybe using us for experimentation.
    Or they are waiting for the troops to get here because we taste like chicken.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,501
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

PurpleJ said:

Or they are waiting for the troops to get here because we taste like chicken.
    If they were violent, they would probably use robots instead of wasting their advanced minds on some jackass humans.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

People always ask the question about why the aliens aren't here yet if there are so many.

Usually it is for proponents of the simulation hypothesis. If there WERE aliens, they would be here by now, they say. But here is the thing:

Earth has had the capability to reach other worlds in our own solar system for about 50 years, give or take. We have been utilizing technology that could attract attention for maybe 115.

Considering how damn big the Milky Way is, the odds are that if anyone IS coming, they wouldn't be close yet, because it is an extraordinarily low chance that a. Earth has been detected as a potential civilization worth contacting (considering we can only be heard up to around 115 or so light years away MAX at this point) and b. Like you said, the closest aliens are not likely to be that close. The more likely visitation scenario is in fact the science fiction hypothesis where they come because they need our world- as we are still an anomaly when it comes to conscious life even though there ought to be more in thr galaxy and universe.
    Good points. As a precaution, however, we shouldn't be sending DMs into outer space letting others know we are here.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Good points. As a precaution, however, we shouldn't be sending DMs into outer space letting others know we are here.
    It's too late the ET Citrus bomb is coming.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's too late the ET Citrus bomb is coming.
    Doomed.gif.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    BearsWiin said:

I've seen almost the exact same thing. My brother and one of my dads and I were camping and checking out stars when we saw what looked like two satellites moving in parallel. Suddenly, they both stopped then quickly shot off in another direction.