Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

BUCK Recruiting

Comments

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,129
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

tvoie said:

So the problem has been identified. What’s the solution? And it has to incorporate the OKG model because you can’t have Coach Pete without it.

Just to play devils advocate for a moment, we all value Pete’s ability to ID talent, but we don’t value the length of time at which it takes him. There are a shitload of examples of guys from UW who weren’t 4/5 Star guys that ended up being great players. How does UW keep doing that while also offering quicker and slightly more often? How do they ID the right fit for their coaching styles without employing this thorough process?

Going back to DDY’s example, how does Pete revamp his ability to spit game to the 10s? What exactly does he have that other better, richer, more attractive dudes don’t have? The answer is not a good one. A dude that is offering a long-term, stable relationship with an upper middle class lifestyle to girls in their 20s is going home alone, or with a lesser, clingier girl unless he finds another approach. So, the question to this legion of unattractive, poor losers is, how’d you bag the 10 the only time you ever did it? Because that’s what Pete needs to bottle up and work into his repertoire.

Here's the solution: instead of getting Will Harris to coach DBs we should've gotten him to coach OLBs. Which was my idea with Gerald Alexander...

Also - let's not take the analogy further than it's supposed to go. It's supposed to go through signing day.

And it's a three step model:
    1. Be big time
    2. Act like it
    3. Make her laugh consistently.
    Now you tell me. Good vodka and xtc gets pricey
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

pat_hm said:

I believe Zion Tupuola-Fetui will be BUCK. There was talk of him developing into a Defensive Tackle but locking up Tuli, Mosiah (holy fuck he looks good) and Draco will allow ZTP to redshirt and work w/ Kwat.

6’2 250 and is listed as a Linebacker on the official roster. Still need to get at least 2 BUCKS this class and missing on Martin was a massive failure. I like Zion though. I feel like he has been somewhat forgeten given how strong we finished last year outside of Martin (Fucking Barbershops!!!). Still need to stack more bodies though.

Zion is going to grow out of BUCK imo, but I think he'll start there. Maybe sort of be a guy that plays both... but Bynum needs to move to WTE stat.
    Bynum looked incredible this spring. He would be a matchup nightmare on offense. Normally I always want to keep our freakiest athletes on defense but he’s a natural WTE and we might not need him on the D Line. He wouldn’t hesitate to move over to the offense if that’s where the team needs him.

Zion definitely has the frame. I’m sure Socha has a plan. He might not be done growing though. He looked pretty natural w/ his hand down on the edge during the Poly bowl. Still very raw but I like his potential as an outside pass rusher. Still shouldn’t see the field for three years though.

The fact that the staff can’t close at this position is fucking infuriating.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

There’s a part of me that really wonders if we actually value a pash rush off the edge

Dude, I am pretty sure that Kawasaki/jimmy saw how dominant that defensive can be with a buck that can apply consistent pressure.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    pat_hm said:

I believe Zion Tupuola-Fetui will be BUCK. There was talk of him developing into a Defensive Tackle but locking up Tuli, Mosiah (holy fuck he looks good) and Draco will allow ZTP to redshirt and work w/ Kwat.

6’2 250 and is listed as a Linebacker on the official roster. Still need to get at least 2 BUCKS this class and missing on Martin was a massive failure. I like Zion though. I feel like he has been somewhat forgeten given how strong we finished last year outside of Martin (Fucking Barbershops!!!). Still need to stack more bodies though.

He fast twitch enough, but his hand technique is going to need a lot of work.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941

pat_hm said:

He fast twitch enough, but his hand technique is going to need a lot of work.
    I have faith in our development. That hasn’t been the issue. Kwat knows what he’s doing once their in the program. The issue has just been getting the bodies. ZTP could thrive once coached up. He also won’t be forced on to the field so no need to rush him.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

There’s a part of me that really wonders if we actually value a pash rush off the edge

Dude, I am pretty sure that Kawasaki/jimmy saw how dominant that defensive can be with a buck that can apply consistent pressure.
    It’s somewhat of a tongue in cheek reference ... but I also do think against certain QB types we de-prioritize the pass rush
    That's because we don't have good enough pash rushers. We also rush three often, probably for the same reason.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

My PM is absolutely gorgeous and I fell in love with her 5 years ago when she was 21.

But since I am old and married and have no shot I treat her like she's ugly which really makes her want me. She is used to guys falling all over themselves around her. I joke about it as I pimp her out in business meets (not REAL pimpin mind you)

Psychology is interesting. At any rate by not acting like I care I've had this great relationship with her. Its like I am gay.

Jesus Race is following the Tom Leykis model.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    elord821 said:

Okay - so just to remind everyone who is on the bored at BUCK...

GUYS WITH OFFERS (rankings mine):
    1. Kayvon T. - No chance in hell even though he spent all winter saying he really liked UW. When the Bruce Waynes came in, we are in the corner waving.
    2. Bru McCoy - Maybe more of a SAM. Had us in his top 5. Never coming here because we can't recruit good players.
    3. Laiatu Latu - Amazing player, going to Bama, Cal, Stanford or USC.
    4. Treven Ma'ae - Fucking incredible talent, never coming to UW.
    5. Josh Pakola - Going to Stanford.
    6. Marcus Hicks - lol
    7. Isreal Isuman-Hundley - You think we are going to get a black and African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas? lulz
    8. Peter Mpagi - You think we are going to get an African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas (if he has offers from anyone in-state)? lulz
    9. Bralen Trice - We could get him... primarily because I don't like his film very much.

Others we have no shot at: Mase Funa, Mataio Soli, Colt Ellison—not that I want him, Ty Robinson... etc.

GUYS WITHOUT OFFERS
    1. Dylan Hall - I really like this kid a lot and I suspect we will wait until the above guys all spurn us to offer and then it will be too late.
    2. Orin Patu - probably more of a SAM, hips not super wide, but a good looking player that I'd be fine with offering.
    3. Justus Legg - Unless he has a Joe Tryon level senior season, he's out of the running. Looked great as a soph, but because we are cursed he sucked as a junior.
    4. Alphonzo Tuputala - He said a while ago we were recruiting him at BUCK, so I'll throw him in here. It's possible he gets an offer. He's pretty good.

So, in sum: We won't get anyone good again this year, because no matter how many times you send Corky up to 10s in a bar in Scottsdale, he's not going to fuck. It doesn't matter how long he's been talking to them and it doesn't matter if they think he's a nice, stable guy.

Here's the plan Dennis: We land Foskey as a TE, we switch him to BUCK after he signs his LOI, we let him play in garbage time and maybe a few real snaps from time to time, then we cross our fingers he stays after his freshmen season.
    Great plan. Except Foskey is never coming here as TE, Buck, or anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2018

elord821 said:

1. Kayvon T. - No chance in hell even though he spent all winter saying he really liked UW. When the Bruce Waynes came in, we are in the corner waving.
    2. Bru McCoy - Maybe more of a SAM. Had us in his top 5. Never coming here because we can't recruit good players.
    6. Marcus Hicks - lol
    7. Isreal Isuman-Hundley - You think we are going to get a black and African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas? lulz
    8. Peter Mpagi - You think we are going to get an African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas (if he has offers from anyone in-state)? lulz
    9. Bralen Trice - We could get him... primarily because I don't like his film very much.

Others we have no shot at: Mase Funa, Mataio Soli, Colt Ellison—not that I want him, Ty Robinson... etc.

GUYS WITHOUT OFFERS
    1. Dylan Hall - I really like this kid a lot and I suspect we will wait until the above guys all spurn us to offer and then it will be too late.
    2. Orin Patu - probably more of a SAM, hips not super wide, but a good looking player that I'd be fine with offering.
    3. Justus Legg - Unless he has a Joe Tryon level senior season, he's out of the running. Looked great as a soph, but because we are cursed he sucked as a junior.
    4. Alphonzo Tuputala - He said a while ago we were recruiting him at BUCK, so I'll throw him in here. It's possible he gets an offer. He's pretty good.

So, in sum: We won't get anyone good again this year, because no matter how many times you send Corky up to 10s in a bar in Scottsdale, he's not going to fuck. It doesn't matter how long he's been talking to them and it doesn't matter if they think he's a nice, stable guy.

Here's the plan Dennis: We land Foskey as a TE, we switch him to BUCK after he signs his LOI, we let him play in garbage time and maybe a few real snaps from time to time, then we cross our fingers he stays after his freshmen season.
    Never say never. I never heard he was writing us off.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    elord821 said:

elord821 said:

6. Marcus Hicks - lol

GUYS WITHOUT OFFERS

Never say never. I never heard he was writing us off.
    We have no shot with Foskey.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    I like Tuputala and Patu just fine. They would make for another underwhelming class though. I can kind of see why Dennis likes Dylan Hall; he's basically a shitty Jeremiah Martin. He's tall and plays with such a high pad level he's basically leaning backwards. Martin made up for it by being crazy fast and explosive. I don't think Dylan Hall does. I'd honestly rather have Patu at that point, but for now I'm deluding myself that we can get Fautanu to commit, and use him and Kaho to help somehow land Ma'ae against all odds. Please don't respond unless you want to take part in that fantasy. Thanks.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I like Tuputala and Patu just fine. They would make for another underwhelming class though. I can kind of see why Dennis likes Dylan Hall; he's basically a shitty Jeremiah Martin. He's tall and plays with such a high pad level he's basically leaning backwards. Martin made up for it by being crazy fast and explosive. I don't think Dylan Hall does. I'd honestly rather have Patu at that point, but for now I'm deluding myself that we can get Fautanu to commit, and use him and Kaho to help somehow land Ma'ae against all odds. Please don't respond unless you want to take part in that fantasy. Thanks.

TLDR: We fuct.
  • Options
    I'm far from optimistic, but at least we're not totally ignored, and we have the opportunity to sell. I had to get rid of the clickbait.

• Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    elord821 said:

I'm far from optimistic, but at least we're not totally ignored, and we have the opportunity to sell. I had to get rid of the clickbait.

Who dat?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

elord821 said:

Who dat?
    That's Erick