Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pac12 Networks Innovation Update

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Stop living in the past. Now you can watch the games at 2am in the morning
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Meek said:

according to Wilner (and the other 6 reporters who attended L Scott Un's press conference yesterday), there is NOTHING that can be done about the fact that 90% of football games will take place at night (and don't blame Scott for that because he doesn't work at the tv networks setting the schedule. He merely got the contract done to get our games on TV...I guess for that we should be thankful, right Mr. Herbstreit?).

Anyhow, all is not lost because new "streaming" options are in the pipeline!

Any guesses as to where the Pac12 football games will be available in the Fall?

My yuan is on Weibo, WeChat, Baidu, or TenCent. If Scott is really aggressive in his innovation rollout, we actually might be seeing Pac12 games on some regional Canadian platforms too! Exciting to know that we may be able to drive a mere 2 hours north (don't forget your passport!!) and watch a game...that said, good luck getting a Canadian sports bar to put not hockey on a tv.

Anyway, Larry got this guys.
    There are some hotties on Canadian sports TV.

Haha... Eastlake class of 99.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,829
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    MisterEm said:

Meek said:

according to Wilner (and the other 6 reporters who attended L Scott Un's press conference yesterday), there is NOTHING that can be done about the fact that 90% of football games will take place at night (and don't blame Scott for that because he doesn't work at the tv networks setting the schedule. He merely got the contract done to get our games on TV...I guess for that we should be thankful, right Mr. Herbstreit?).

My yuan is on Weibo, WeChat, Baidu, or TenCent. If Scott is really aggressive in his innovation rollout, we actually might be seeing Pac12 games on some regional Canadian platforms too! Exciting to know that we may be able to drive a mere 2 hours north (don't forget your passport!!) and watch a game...that said, good luck getting a Canadian sports bar to put not hockey on a tv.

Lucky bastard that got the senior prom hand job.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

MisterEm said:

Meek said:

I thought you're supposed to get laid on prom night
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,829

MisterEm said:

Meek said:

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

MisterEm said:

Meek said:

MisterEm said:

Meek said:

hmmm

I think getting laid encompasses both. You don't say "dude I got laid last night...and a handjob!"

flagged.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

MisterEm said:

Meek said:

MisterEm said:

Meek said:

hmmm

I think getting laid encompasses both. You don't say "dude I got laid last night...and a handjob!"

flagged.
    You do if it was a reach around.
    I like where ur head and hands at :wink:
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Direc-TV will never happen. They will lowball the P12 Network so much every other provider will want to renegotiate their contract. Scott fucked up not signing them immediately.

Hopefully he signs with a few other streaming services. Sling is alright, but I'd like to have more options.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    here's the thing...DirectTV does simple customer research and knows how many customers are interested in certain types of content then they do a little old math calculation about how much their subscribers will pay in order to have access to that channel and if the content producer charges more than the minimum margin they can make on that spread then no deal.

Scott fails to realize that not enough people care about the Pac12 and even less care about sports not called football.

He's made too many assumptions.

I mean fuck, everyone on this site is a hardcore football fan yet how many of us actually get Pac12 Network? If you don't get 100% of this audience then you really don't have a good enough product.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Meek said:

here's the thing...DirectTV does simple customer research and knows how many customers are interested in certain types of content then they do a little old math calculation about how much their subscribers will pay in order to have access to that channel and if the content producer charges more than the minimum margin they can make on that spread then no deal.

Scott fails to realize that not enough people care about the Pac12 and even less care about sports not called football.

I mean fuck, everyone on this site is a hardcore football fan yet how many of us actually get Pac12 Network? If you don't get 100% of this audience then you really don't have a good enough product.

This.

Comcast in DC does not even offer Larry's chinnovative network. I have Comcast and pay extra for sports packages and would gladly do so for P12, but it's not even offered, and therefore I can't even pay to stream it. It's so fucking retarded, but Pac-12 gonna Pac-12.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Meek said:

This.

I actually pay the 5 bucks a month out here in Northern Virginia on Dish so I can get the occasional pre-season game with EWU or whatever. Essentially I pay 60 bucks a year to watch one or two games. I hate money.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Meek said:

This.

I actually pay the 5 bucks a month out here in Northern Virginia on Dish so I can get the occasional pre-season game with EWU or whatever. Essentially I pay 60 bucks a year to watch one or two games. I hate money.
    and that is exactly what Larry Scott doesn't recognize when he speaks publicly. He suggests if you want to watch Pac12 football then YOU need to switch. Problem is the football games aren't very good ones and the rest of the content isn't of interest to 90% of the viewers, thus when you do the math you're paying more to watch a bad game on the network than it would cost to go to a good one in person.

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

God, I want to Throbber this gal.

Ay Caramba she's built like the proverbial brick shithouse. Wood go 5 hole and finish top shelf
    This girl has that "I will go ass to mouth" look in her eye I know and love.

Eyebrows have an odd angle.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

God, I want to Throbber this gal.

Ay Caramba she's built like the proverbial brick shithouse. Wood go 5 hole and finish top shelf
    This girl has that "I will go ass to mouth" look in her eye I know and love.

Eyebrows have an odd angle.
    I like it. Raises the degree of difficulty on the money shot.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Meek said:

She's so hawt she even chinspired a decent blog post from Akita.

Oh, hey, look at this. An anonymous sports fan emailed the good people over at Q13 Fox with a request to send our favorite sportscaster to the Alamo Bowl. No, not Carlos del Valle, Rod Simons, or Gaard Swanson — See what I did right there? Went retro on you — but Erin Hawksworth, who is clearly better looking than all three of those other guys (sorry Carlos, Rod, and Gaard).

The anonymous email happened to fall into my lap and I’ve taken the liberty of reprinting it for all of you to see. Because as a Husky fan myself, I wholeheartedly support the “Send Erin to the Alamo Bowl” movement. For obvious reasons.

Again, we have no idea who wrote this. It’s blatantly anonymous.

Hi there,

As a concerned Husky Football fan, I’m writing to convince you to send Erin Hawksworth to the Alamo Bowl. You’re probably asking yourself why, in these tough economic times, you should consider sending Erin to the Alamo Bowl at all. That’s a fantastic question which I plan to answer. You’re probably also asking yourself why you shouldn’t send Aaron Levine. Also a great question which I will address. Without consuming too much of your time, let’s discuss the importance of this decision.

First of all, everyone knows that Q13 provides Seattle’s most comprehensive sports coverage. That’s a given. And if you pave the way for sports news in this town, it only makes sense to have a representative of your team present at the Alamo Bowl. The Alamo Bowl is arguably one of the most marquee sporting events that fans in this city will get to enjoy in 2011. Coverage is key.

I know for a fact that KIRO is sending Chris Francis to San Antonio for the game. Chris Effing Francis. Nobody even knows who that guy is. And I’ve heard semi-substantiated rumors that he’s a total douchebag. No Husky fan wants to talk to a douchebag. He’ll score about as many fan interviews as Paul Wulff scored victories. Good luck with that, Francis.

I assume KING is sending the likes of Chris Egan down to the game. For an older fellow, Egan can hang. I like Egan. But unless he’s broadcasting from Bonney Lake High School surrounded by at least 50 cheerleaders, he’s completely useless.

I don’t know who KOMO’s sending, but does it really matter? KOMO is like the Kansas City Royals of Seattle media. You watch them for five minutes and you’re like, “Oh, shit, I didn’t know that guy was there. I thought he was dead.” That’s KOMO for you. Ever since Eric’s Little Heroes moved to the news desk they’ve been in complete disarray. Like watching a team of eight-year-olds play Boys & Girls Club basketball. Which is ironic, because that’s what they cover most nights anyway.

So think about it. If you send Erin, holy crap, you’ll have the upper hand amongst all the other TV news stations. Everyone will want to talk to her, rather than the d-bag (Francis), Egan, or whatever intern KOMO provides.

Now let’s discuss cost efficiency, because as we’ve already alluded to, these are tough economic times. You need to save money, and I don’t blame you. Erin can get free drinks at any bar, which Levine cannot. That’s one. Two, if you need to save money on hotel costs, I’m your guy. I don’t have any discounts or hookups, but I do have a room at the Crowne Plaza Riverwalk; Erin is more than welcome to crash. Camera guy is on his own, however. Sorry. Limited space. Three, flights aren’t that expensive. Four, food is cheaper in San Antonio. Five, you can market this, pull ratings, get additional exposure, and in the long run make money off this one endeavor alone. Boom. Cost efficiency.

So there you have it. Sound reasoning. You really can’t go wrong in making this decision. I hope I’ve helped convince you that this is the right move, and I encourage you to contact me with any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

An Anonymous Sports Fan
  • Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Meek said:

She's so hawt she even chinspired a decent blog post from Akita.

Oh, hey, look at this. An anonymous sports fan emailed the good people over at Q13 Fox with a request to send our favorite sportscaster to the Alamo Bowl. No, not Carlos del Valle, Rod Simons, or Gaard Swanson — See what I did right there? Went retro on you — but Erin Hawksworth, who is clearly better looking than all three of those other guys (sorry Carlos, Rod, and Gaard).

The anonymous email happened to fall into my lap and I’ve taken the liberty of reprinting it for all of you to see. Because as a Husky fan myself, I wholeheartedly support the “Send Erin to the Alamo Bowl” movement. For obvious reasons.

Again, we have no idea who wrote this. It’s blatantly anonymous.

Hi there,

As a concerned Husky Football fan, I’m writing to convince you to send Erin Hawksworth to the Alamo Bowl. You’re probably asking yourself why, in these tough economic times, you should consider sending Erin to the Alamo Bowl at all. That’s a fantastic question which I plan to answer. You’re probably also asking yourself why you shouldn’t send Aaron Levine. Also a great question which I will address. Without consuming too much of your time, let’s discuss the importance of this decision.

First of all, everyone knows that Q13 provides Seattle’s most comprehensive sports coverage. That’s a given. And if you pave the way for sports news in this town, it only makes sense to have a representative of your team present at the Alamo Bowl. The Alamo Bowl is arguably one of the most marquee sporting events that fans in this city will get to enjoy in 2011. Coverage is key.

I know for a fact that KIRO is sending Chris Francis to San Antonio for the game. Chris Effing Francis. Nobody even knows who that guy is. And I’ve heard semi-substantiated rumors that he’s a total douchebag. No Husky fan wants to talk to a douchebag. He’ll score about as many fan interviews as Paul Wulff scored victories. Good luck with that, Francis.

I assume KING is sending the likes of Chris Egan down to the game. For an older fellow, Egan can hang. I like Egan. But unless he’s broadcasting from Bonney Lake High School surrounded by at least 50 cheerleaders, he’s completely useless.

I don’t know who KOMO’s sending, but does it really matter? KOMO is like the Kansas City Royals of Seattle media. You watch them for five minutes and you’re like, “Oh, shit, I didn’t know that guy was there. I thought he was dead.” That’s KOMO for you. Ever since Eric’s Little Heroes moved to the news desk they’ve been in complete disarray. Like watching a team of eight-year-olds play Boys & Girls Club basketball. Which is ironic, because that’s what they cover most nights anyway.

So think about it. If you send Erin, holy crap, you’ll have the upper hand amongst all the other TV news stations. Everyone will want to talk to her, rather than the d-bag (Francis), Egan, or whatever intern KOMO provides.

Now let’s discuss cost efficiency, because as we’ve already alluded to, these are tough economic times. You need to save money, and I don’t blame you. Erin can get free drinks at any bar, which Levine cannot. That’s one. Two, if you need to save money on hotel costs, I’m your guy. I don’t have any discounts or hookups, but I do have a room at the Crowne Plaza Riverwalk; Erin is more than welcome to crash. Camera guy is on his own, however. Sorry. Limited space. Three, flights aren’t that expensive. Four, food is cheaper in San Antonio. Five, you can market this, pull ratings, get additional exposure, and in the long run make money off this one endeavor alone. Boom. Cost efficiency.

So there you have it. Sound reasoning. You really can’t go wrong in making this decision. I hope I’ve helped convince you that this is the right move, and I encourage you to contact me with any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

An Anonymous Sports Fan
    Sounds like an HH fan.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Meek said:

Meek said:

and not one of them could name a Pac12 player.

DJ and I had a conversation many years ago about whether his book could be promoted in Vancouver and I explained to him that once upon a time (story time with Grandpa Race) Husky games were on KOMO4BUTTFUCKER every Saturday and the Don James Coach's Show was on Komo (or whatever it was called...on Sundays I think where Coach would literally go through every play in slow motion explaining decisions) and we Canadians were all over the Huskies...as I recall the Seahawks weren't really that good aside from a handful of seasons, the M's sucked (water is wet), the Sonics had peaked and were on their way back to meh and the pride of British Columbia was the Canucks - the hockey equivalent of the Mariners), so there was one exciting piece of the sports landscape for all Cascadians - the Dwags!

Then the regional sports networks were born, Huskies moved to a network that isn't available in Canada (mid 90s I think) and since then not a single person in BC has been able to follow them.
    When college football TV deregulated the Pac10 was slow to move, no kidding the Pac 10 shit the bed, hard to believe but true.

Prime Ticket was the LA cable sports station that allowed the Trojans and Bruins to say every game will be on TV

Prime Sports was the regional spin off allowing more windows and more Husky games. It also had the full game on delay which actually killed the coaches show.

The 12:30 ABC game was for the top game of the week as long as USC or UW or UCLA were involved lol
    I've always said that the Pac 8 is a better conference with a strong UW.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    Meek said:

The obvs answer is obvs.

• Options
    TTJ said:

Meek said:

The obvs answer is obvs.

Haha if that was the case we’d get 2-3 teams in the playoffs every year and Pac12 After Dark would actually have ratings.