Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Russell Okung actually smart for once

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    RealRhino said:

I think it's still an open question how this will all play out. I have to question the mindset of anybody that quits on his teammates, though. Do I want that guy on my team? I don't care much about the commitment he made to his coach or his school or whatever, but with my kids it's always been, you join a team, you are with them until the bitter end. You made a commitment to your teammates. You can quit when the season's over, but not before. If a guy is making business decisions in college, is he going to be making "business decisions" in a playoff game when we are down 14? Fuck that guy.

Look, even if Okung is right, he's wrong. You factor in the long-term value of a college education, these guys are getting paid the equivalent of MILLIONS of dollars for playing college football. Far more than they'd just get paid to play. And yes, Saquon Barkley and Sam Darnold could get paid for more than just a scholarship, but great guys like JoJo and Bierria and MyTevis would be left without a scholarship.

Mike Leach will make more by himself next season than all 85 of his players will in scholarships.

Do some research next time.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No player is forced to accept that scholarship.

No school is going to make football players employees

Title 9 won't let you just pay football players.

Noting that school costs more now than for boomers hurts your own argument. That 4 years is a tremendous value compared to all the idiots with a ton of debt for the same education.

But by all means just keep whining and crying and maybe someday you can end college football all together

Or just watch the NFL and shut the fuck up already
  • Options

No player is forced to accept that scholarship.

No school is going to make football players employees

Title 9 won't let you just pay football players.

Noting that school costs more now than for boomers hurts your own argument. That 4 years is a tremendous value compared to all the idiots with a ton of debt for the same education.

But by all means just keep whining and crying and maybe someday you can end college football all together

Or just watch the NFL and shut the fuck up already

Or the NCAA could just allow players to earn whatever outside compensation they want.

Please tell me how that ends college football altogether.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How do you administer it? Barkley can make 100 grand for his likeness but his anonymous O line won't get shit?
  • Options

How do you administer it? Barkley can make 100 grand for his likeness but his anonymous O line won't get shit?

You don't administer it at all.

Let the free market decide.

The QBs probably get paid more than the anonymous OL just like they do now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So as usual you haven't thought this through
  • Options

So as usual you haven't thought this through

Neither have you apparently.

Still waiting for you to tell me how this kills college football.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Now you moved the goal posts to outside income it may only destroy the locker room
  • Options

Now you moved the goal posts to outside income it may only destroy the locker room

It doesn't destroy locker rooms now.

No one at Auburn cared when Cam got paid and no one at Washington cared when Billy Joe got paid.

I would prefer legitimate salaries but Title IX blows.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Give them the choice of either their scholarship or some fucking stipend/other form of payment so we can all go back to sucking each other’s dicks every Fall Saturday.
  • Options
    haie said:

Give them the choice of either their scholarship or some fucking stipend/other form of payment so we can all go back to sucking each other’s dicks every Fall Saturday.

Why not both?
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Yes! Fucking yes. This is so simple.

I've been making this argument for over five years. Johnny Football could have made millions of dollars in college and should have. Just like if I create an app while I'm in college on an education scholarship and make a million dollars I don't lose my scholarship and it's not the end of education.

Johnny Football can make millions because of who he is. A free ride scholarship for the third string guard is a sweet fucking deal for them.

You keep it really simple to the rules of they can't use anything with the University name or logo to make money. Anything else fair game. The scholarship agreement allows the University to use your image while you play there with nothing owed to the player.

It doesn't impact recruiting, Title 9, or the game in any way. It actually preserves college football long term. It also keeps tweeners in school another year way more often.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

I think it's still an open question how this will all play out. I have to question the mindset of anybody that quits on his teammates, though. Do I want that guy on my team? I don't care much about the commitment he made to his coach or his school or whatever, but with my kids it's always been, you join a team, you are with them until the bitter end. You made a commitment to your teammates. You can quit when the season's over, but not before. If a guy is making business decisions in college, is he going to be making "business decisions" in a playoff game when we are down 14? Fuck that guy.

Look, even if Okung is right, he's wrong. You factor in the long-term value of a college education, these guys are getting paid the equivalent of MILLIONS of dollars for playing college football. Far more than they'd just get paid to play. And yes, Saquon Barkley and Sam Darnold could get paid for more than just a scholarship, but great guys like JoJo and Bierria and MyTevis would be left without a scholarship.

Hi.

Let's say you are really good at something, like signing. It has a shelf life, your voice will fade very quickly after age 25.

You're in a band now, you play small venues and bars. You break even but you're getting good experience.

A record company asks just you to a deal for millions of dollars but you have to leave the band and join a different one the record company already formed.

Are you signing for free again? Me neither.

Your contract requires you to play 1 more show...do you bail?

No one is saying they should pass on the NFL, just to complete your obligation. That was the deal.

So you would agree with schools cutting scholarships midseason if they aren't performing? millions on the line for schools
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

Let's say you are really good at something, like signing. It has a shelf life, your voice will fade very quickly after age 25.

You're in a band now, you play small venues and bars. You break even but you're getting good experience.

A record company asks just you to a deal for millions of dollars but you have to leave the band and join a different one the record company already formed.

No one is saying they should pass on the NFL, just to complete your obligation. That was the deal.

So you would agree with schools cutting scholarships midseason if they aren't performing? millions on the line for schools
    Student athletes aren't under contract like that.

If you pay them like employees, that would be fine.
  • Options

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

Yes they are. Just not what you think they should be.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They’re exhibition games. Let the pussies sit and play younger guys for next year. Ty Jones got some run.
  • Options

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

series of one year scholarships. At the end of each year, either party can not renew.
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

series of one year scholarships. At the end of each year, either party can not renew.
    Show me where players are required to play bowl games.

• Options

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

Show me where players are required to play bowl games.

Are you saying that bowl games are different than the regular season? I couldn't tell you if there was any stipulation that they play ANY game and too lazy to look it up. It was an assumption on my part. You seem to be differentiating between the two, right? Just so I'm clear on your point of view.

Regular season games they must play. Bowl games are optional.