Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Geeky Recruiting Data Shit

I am learning how to use some data visualization software, so of course I am playing around with TBS data.

The data is Rivals recruiting database. I'd prefer to use the 24/7 Composite rankings, but scraping that shit from the web is a major PITA.

Pac-12 North

Pac-12 South

Comments

• Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    AEB said:

Based on this analysis, Ty just needed more time.

It was his least terrible class, on paper. In reality it was pretty awful, though Polk, Kearse, and Ta'amu were special.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Charts not chinteractive. Pass.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited November 2017
    I prefer DDY’s recent outlook of positive developments in our DL recruiting.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Need @Dardanus to confirm

Stanford appears to be way more talented than us. I'm not sure but we're third now behind USC and Stanford

We sure sucked for a long tim
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

I am learning how to use some data visualization software, so of course I am playing around with TBS data.

The data is Rivals recruiting database. I'd prefer to use the 24/7 Composite rankings, but scraping that shit from the web is a major PITA.

Pac-12 North

Pac-12 South

The funny part is the dip beore UW's rise was Pete's first class which ended up re-ranked as the best in the Pac that year.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    You can clearly see the inflation in the grading system. Everyone other than Cal and the Arizona schools trending up.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    Dardanus said:

Pretty good start @AIRWOLF. Couple things I would consider:

1. Sort/order by star ranking (best to worst), not alphabetical. The idea is you want to show the important information in order.

2. The message you send with a line chart is greatly affected by aspect ratio. There is no perfect ratio, but generally 2:1 (w:h) is about right. In this case, a 0.2 star ranking change is a steep increase or decrease. Columns or bars might be a better choice.

3. Are you trying to emphasize the trend over time, or compare average ranking of each school? Comparing rank of each school can be done much simpler (11 bars ordered by avg rank over this time period, Cal excluded of course).
    Comparing the trend of multiple items can be difficult in a limited space. A good method is to put all lines on a single chart, with a selected school using their color, all other schools being gray/semi-transparent in the background. Your visualization tool might not do this, though.

4. Be careful web-scraping TBS stuff. My cousin had the FBI knock on his door for similar activity. Not good.

Do you even Tableau, bro?

Seriously though, thanks. I have tons more I need to do with this, but I am a retard with this software.

A lot of it is stuff I have done in Excel before, just not over as long a time period.

I really am doing this first and foremost to learn how to use the stupid software. Simple things like changing the colors of the lines and formatting things are easy once you know how to do them, but they are not easy when you don't.
  • Options

You can clearly see the inflation in the grading system. Everyone other than Cal and the Arizona schools trending up.

Yeah. There is certainly grade inflation going on. The Sum total of the average Stars for the Top 100 teams has risen steadily over time.

I am going to work in a viz (look at me using serious geek lingo) on that too.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    Founders Club
    AIRWOLF said:

Dardanus said:

1. Sort/order by star ranking (best to worst), not alphabetical. The idea is you want to show the important information in order.

2. The message you send with a line chart is greatly affected by aspect ratio. There is no perfect ratio, but generally 2:1 (w:h) is about right. In this case, a 0.2 star ranking change is a steep increase or decrease. Columns or bars might be a better choice.

3. Are you trying to emphasize the trend over time, or compare average ranking of each school? Comparing rank of each school can be done much simpler (11 bars ordered by avg rank over this time period, Cal excluded of course).
    Comparing the trend of multiple items can be difficult in a limited space. A good method is to put all lines on a single chart, with a selected school using their color, all other schools being gray/semi-transparent in the background. Your visualization tool might not do this, though.

4. Be careful web-scraping TBS stuff. My cousin had the FBI knock on his door for similar activity. Not good.

Seriously though, thanks. I have tons more I need to do with this, but I am a retard with this software.

A lot of it is stuff I have done in Excel before, just not over as long a time period.

I really am doing this first and foremost to learn how to use the stupid software. Simple things like changing the colors of the lines and formatting things are easy once you know how to do them, but they are not easy when you don't.
    We understand better than most... It’s hard
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Chinspiring. Time to gogo data science.
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Created a shitty heatmap with dendrograms, interpolating the missing games so we get to play EVERYONE.

Rows are offense, columns are defense.

Spoilers: we lose to USC and are a tossup with dickrod thanks to our shitty offense. Our defense is clustered similarly to USC and Stanford, our offense is similar to that of ASU.

• Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AIRWOLF said:

Dardanus said:

Yep, Tableau is great. It can definitely create the dynamic line chart. This poast may help (the "data-ink" concept is what I was trying to get at).