Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2018 Recruiting Class Update

With two commits in just a couple days I thought some might enjoy a look at where we are currently at. With 5 teen bois in on an expected 18ish member class, we're over 25% of the way there (and I feel very good about keeping all 5 kids on bored). So far we're offense heavy with 4 expected offensive players and just one on defense at this point. We also have moved away this week from a white power class to one DDY can take some pride in.

QB - Jacob Sirmon: Scout 4 star (44 overall)/Rivals 4 star (67 overall)/ESPN 4 star (16 overall)/24 4 star (28 overall). Average = 4 star (38.75 overall)
WR1a -Austin Osbourne: Scout 4 star (105 overall)/Rivals 4 star (142 overall)/ESPN 4 star (205 overall)/247 4 star (197 overall). Average = 4 star (162.25 overall)
WR1b - Marquis Spiker: Scout 4 star (87 overall)/Rivals 4 star (104 overall)/ESPN 4 star (91 overall)/247 4 star (82 overall). Average = 4 star (90 overall)
Slot receiver - Trey Lowe (tend to agree with the TSIO guys that he ends up at RB but for now he's being told he's going to play the Chico role and other recruits are being told he's recruited as a WR): Scout 4 star (259 overall)/ Rivals 4 star (230 overall)/ESPN not rated/247 4 star (106 overall). Average = 4 stars (205.8 overall) (on the 3 sites who rank him)
LB - Jackson Sirmon Scout 3 star (unranked)/Rivals 3 star (unranked)/ESPN 3 star (254 overall)/247 4 star (177 overall). Average = 3.25 stars (can't compute overall average with him unranked on half the sites)

Scout and Rivals agree that these guys rank Jake S, Spiker, Osbourne, Lowe, Jack S. ESPN bumps Jack ahead of Lowe. And 247 is the total outlier with their order being Jake S, Spiker, Lowe, Jack S, Osbourne.

This is a great start on a great class. Ultimately I think Jacob Sirmon ends up a 5 star on most sites, with everyone else solid 4 stars besides Jackson. So 1 5 star, 3 4 stars and a 3 star, for a solid 4 star average from these five. Obviously there will be surprises, but here's what I roughly expect to see for the next 13 spots:

QB - none
RB - TreShaun Harrison (also could play safety, or corner)
WR - Michael Wilson
BTE - Devon Culp (ultimately I don't think they take Ezeike and Wilson, and I think Wilson's more likely to commit so I went with him)
WTE - Jake Peters. Guessing his rehab checks out and he moves back up to a 4 star TE.
OL - I'm guessing we take 3 since it's a down year on the WC. Would love Dawson Jaramillo, Justin Dedich and Steven Jones but that's highly unlikely. I'll say Lubick wins over Jaramillo, Huff pulls Chris Murray and we settle for MJ Ale. This wouldn't be a home run but would be a really strong OL class.

That's 11 total recruits on offense which might be one or two too high, but if Harrison or Lowe ends up on defense you're probably fine .

The defensive side is a lot fuzzier for me. Not real confident in most of these calls to follow.

CB - Kyler Gordon becomes my biggest non OL desire in this class. I think he's really important, and they ultimately get him on bored, but probably not until deep into football season. Looks like one of the last two or three commits to me. I'll also predict Braden Lenzy flips to us after Brian Kelly gets fired.
S - Bryan Addison. Really want this kid.
LB - I think we go hard after Jack Lamb but end up settling for Ben Wilson. We'll take one more LB in this class, he'll probably be poly and from Utah, but I have no idea which one.
Buck - Zion Tupuola-Fetui. Learn it. Love it.
DL - We wont' get Togiai unfortunately unless SC self destructs, which I don't see happening until after Darnold goes pro. If Darnold gets hurt early enough Togiai is ours. But that's unlikely, and I don't see a home run DT in the class for us outside of him, so let's say we'll settle for two other Polys here Sam Vakalahi for one and let's hope Hale Motu'apuaka passes the height test for the other.

Obviously this will be mostly wrong, and I cheated and took one more than I aimed for to give us a class of 19. Maybe one of the Utah kids takes a mission. Of those 19, that would be 11 current Scout 4 stars (and I'm guessing at least Peters and Murray will move up).

So yeah that's not all going to come together but I think we get to 10 four stars rather easily. I wouldn't be shocked if this class has 12 or 13. The recruiting lag is real and Petersen is building a monster.

Comments

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Serious question @Dennis_DeYoung, is this Sirmon kid mentally and physically tough enough to deserve the high ranking? Not to knock Browning, the kid gives it his all, but this team might have beat Bama and Clemson with a slobber knocking Billy Joe Hobert type under center. IMO, that is what they need to get over the top. Is Sirmon potentially that guy?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I agree that we get Lamb ... it's a numbers thing ... lucky us
  • Options
    Harrison needs to embrace being a Milliy clone at S and having a 15 year NFL career ... you just don't teach what he has from size/speed/skill

Lowe is likely a RB ... but if they are telling him WR then they are done at WR for this class

Cult and Peters are the haul at TE and that's boner inducing ...

• Options
    OL/DL/OLB will be the big questions in this class as mentioned ...

Results here would put this class at another level ...

We'll learn a bit about Malloe and Huff after this year ... IF they deliver @CokeGreaterThanPepsi should go to the glory hole located at the bathroom of the 7-11 on Aurora
  • Options
    Lake is the other wild card with the secondary ... I'm cautiously optimistic
  • Options
    I expect all that we have at this point will end up 4 star plus with at least 2 as 5 stars
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's twitter tequilla. Still manage to write 5 paragraphs but do it consecutive poasts rather than all at once
  • Options
    AH92AH92 Member Posts: 24
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

Probably, but watch out for if Penn State offers. Both Lamb's parents went there, so there is a good chance he would strongly consider them.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    24/7 lists Simon as a 5 star.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

In their composite rankings. But in their actual 24/7 rankings he's a 4.

Also *Sirmon
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    dnc said:

Also *Sirmon
    Ah didn't catch that. Weird that s composite of 4 stars makes a five star.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Also *Sirmon
    They're obviously using some more obscure rankings in there as well
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Also *Sirmon
    They're obviously using some more obscure rankings in there as well
    247 themselves has only given 7 kids a 5* ranking, but 26 are composite 5*. The composite must work in some way where they aggregate the overall rankings and then rank the kids by that... then give out 5* to a set number of kids.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    AH92 said:

Tequilla said:

Probably, but watch out for if Penn State offers. Both Lamb's parents went there, so there is a good chance he would strongly consider them.
    The twitter handle for one of Lamb's Dad is "nittanylambs", so yeah, Penn State will be tuff to beat.