Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Questions for rowers

89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
1. Are scholarships offered in this sport?

2. What draws one to become a rower?

3. Do people row prior to college, such as high school, clubs or some kind of little league?

4. Other than rowing itself, how do you train?

5. How many miles per hour do you get the boat going?

6. Didn't even fucking know Pac-12 rowing was a thing, thought it was an east coast, Ivy League sport. So is it just UW, WSU, Cal and Stanford? (I looked at UW schedule)

7. Is it as demanding and time consuming as other collegiate sports?

8. What are the categories of competition?

9. Do people compete in the Olympics prior to college, during or after?

10. Proper use of the word rowing vs crew?

11. When did you row, were you on one of the national championship teams and include any bitchin stories.

12. Any post graduation benefits?

Comments

• Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    89ute said:

1. Are scholarships offered in this sport?

2. What draws one to become a rower?

3. Do people row prior to college, such as high school, clubs or some kind of little league?

4. Other than rowing itself, how do you train?

5. How many miles per hour do you get the boat going?

6. Didn't even fucking know Pac-12 rowing was a thing, thought it was an east coast, Ivy League sport. So is it just UW, WSU, Cal and Stanford? (I looked at UW schedule)

7. Is it as demanding and time consuming as other collegiate sports?

8. What are the categories of competition?

9. Do people compete in the Olympics prior to college, during or after?

10. Proper use of the word rowing vs crew?

11. When did you row, were you on one of the national championship teams and include any bitchin stories.

12. Any post graduation benefits?

yes

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I got the rowing thing dialed in around here. I PM'd you with a good level of Rowing Superiority Guy shit.

poast it here, love to read it myself
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    here's my maff. 2000 meters in 5 min 40 sec is a 4.33 minute mile. that would be 13.86 MPH
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    89ute said:

here's my maff. 2000 meters in 5 min 40 sec is a 4.33 minute mile. that would be 13.86 MPH

That sounds about right. World record times by boat type: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_rowing

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'll add my rowing dork response as well, where I have things to add above what YellowSnow said.

1. The women's side for scholarships really took off as a way to offset a bunch of football scholarships. Kansas fucking State has a women's varsity rowing team.

3. On the East Coast the major areas for youth rowing are Boston/New England, Philly and DC Metro. Boston/Philly are largely private schools with lots of money. DC Metro has a very large rowing community full of public school competition with growing private school programs.
    Where I grew up club/community rowing began around 7th grade. It's not really possible to start earlier than that as it would be too risky to send a bunch of 4th graders out on a lake. Get hit with a freak storm and they don't have the strength to row back to the dock and could easily capsize. Boats can flip in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing and you do not want to be trying to get 9 children with limited strength out of water and in to a launch before they get too tired and drown.
    All of this is magnified depending on the body of water you are on. Row on a river and you are asking children to row against the current in one direction, which can be challenge for middle schoolers.

It's such a contrast to the era of youth sports now where most kids pick their sport before middle school. You can't actually start until middle school.

My sister actually coached for some Salt Lake City club rowing team, so such a thing exists, but she has since moved away.

4. Yep, the Concept II is something else. If only everyone who used them knew what they were doing. Sigh.

6. I would add Princeton, Yale and Wisconsin to the list (UW, Cal, Harvard, Brown) of teams that care.

8. There are also lightweight categories but UW doesn't compete in those. And sculling (two oars per rowing) is a thing. If you're talking masters rowing the categories go all over the place.

11. I sucked so no. lol. Do I get to claim I was on the same team as Olympic Gold medalists?

12. The older I get the more I appreciate the mental toughness, discipline and rigidity that rowing gave me. Especially since I never did anything in the military.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I did a little googling to learn about how these boats are steered. Of course, this led to learning about the coxswain. Perfect home for our napoleon complex fellows, no? How do you find someone to do this? Who wants to do this outside of the napoleon complex guy? I assume it's not a member of the coaching staff, correct?
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The coxswain is a student ath-uh-lete like the rest of them. Finding them can be a pain but the good ones stand out. The benefit is being part of a competitive team.

Getting a coxswain for masters or club rowing is really a pain.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2017
    I did crew in the fall of my senior year of high school just to prepare for Rugby in the spring and it was the most mentally challenging conditioning program I've ever been through. I mean super intense and competitive. They would line you up on the Erg in order of previous times and have you race. Top 8 times get in the boat. You literally would have coaches screaming at you and the next guy about who wants it more while you're reading the 500 m splits on the screens next to you, just pulling for your life.

Pretty much the entire team threw up after. The fall was also 6k race training instead of 2k so the it was long as shit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

I did crew in the fall of my senior year of high school just to prepare for Rugby in the spring and it was the most mentally challenging conditioning program I've ever been through. I mean super intense and competitive. They would line you up on the Erg in order of previous times and have you race. Top 8 times get in the boat. You literally would have coaches screaming at you and the next guy about who wants it more while you're reading the 500 m splits on the screens next to you, just pulling for your life.

Pretty much the entire team threw up after. The fall was also 6k race training instead of 2k so the it was long as shit.

Once our frosh coach at UW told us that no one ever died form pulling to hard. Apparently, Oregon proved this isn't true, and there is the possibility of death from working out to hard.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Doogles said:

Once our frosh coach at UW told us that no one ever died form pulling to hard. Apparently, Oregon proved this isn't true, and there is the possibility of death from working out to hard.
    @JudahBenHurDawg91 true??!1/!
  • Options

Doogles said:

All I heard was *Gurgle*
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I'm not sure if my experience is what most crew teams go through, because it was a damn good program and the entire 8 all went ivy league, washington, or Stanford.

I was pulling with the jv team because i told them in the beginning i was just here for the conditioning and had no intention of following up in the spring. I wouldn't have made the V8 anyways, those dudes were all 6'3-6'6 nerds who somehow could fucking fly.

One of my friends went to UW on that team (later transferred) but won a world title or some shit in an Erg competition. I'll always have respect for the sport.
  • Options
    Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,310
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options

Obligatory

WHAT???????????

@SpiritHorse is part white???

@Swaye!Q! True???
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    Did lightweight crew my sophomore year at Cal, but washed out during fall training because I wanted a social life instead. Got my 5M meters free shirt from Concept2 a few years back. Pulled 20k yesterday for the first time in a while, took me 1:25 but that was after a 2hr workout at the gym, and I'm 48 so fuck you
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Did lightweight crew my sophomore year at Cal, but washed out during fall training because I wanted a social life instead. Got my 5M meters free shirt from Concept2 a few years back. Pulled 20k yesterday for the first time in a while, took me 1:25 but that was after a 2hr workout at the gym, and I'm 48 so fuck you

I'd heard mention @BearsWiin of your being a dude that still pulls ergs, so props for this. I'm all in favor of old guy ergin' - still use it myself - but why 20,000 meters? Are you training for a marathon or something? 2:07.5 splits for and hour and 25 mins of work at age 48 ain't nothing to be ashamed of. In my college days, we never did pieces for time longer 10,000 meters; for longer work at low strokes per minute, it was lot more stuff like 6 x 10 min pieces with 2 mins rest in between.

Amongst my friend group which is most ex- UW rowers, we have a saying: 2:00 min splits is the new 1:40. Most of us - me included - were sub 20:00 min guys on 6000 meters, so 1:39 or better, but these days we're all happy to just hold under 2:00 min splits for 30 minutes give or take.