Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Future OL- Some Huge dudes!

HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
McGary moved to OL and is the presumed LT of the future. 6-8, 280. In this class (2015), Trey Adams 6-7, 270. Henry Roberts 6-6, 260. Lower rated guy Jared Hilbers 6-7, 275. Foster Sarrell is a huge in state recruit in 2017. He's 6-6, 300 lbs.

The only guys taller than 6-5 who Sark brought in were Ben Riva and James Atoe, a total project. Riva has been solid when he's been healthy.

Question for Charles & Don…..

How much does height matter for an OL prospect? The guys Sark was getting were already 6'3 300. A few of the best were 6'5 285. Pete's guys listed above are highly rated and would appear to have the frames to grow into some huge dudes. They are already big dudes but at 270-280, you would think UW could develop them the way into what they want exactly. I'm just speculating so tell me if I'm wrong but I would think at 6'6 and taller these guys could have huge wingspans, making it that much tougher for the DL.

Don, as someone who went against OL maybe you could mention what you'd look for in an OL recruit.

Comments

• Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Has McGary officially moved to OL?

That would be fucking great.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    guntlove said:

A rare @guntlove sighting!
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,501
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It always helps if they are mean, strong, and well-coached. I have no idea about height.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Good points in this thread. From my terrible scouting analysis - large wingspans can compensate for poor/slow footwork. You can be slow off the line as long as your arms are long enough to reach outside rushers. Since there are so few linemen with quick feet wingspan seems to be a dominating trait.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    H_D said:

guntlove said:

A rare @guntlove sighting!
    You're lucky I poast here at all, H_D. (griswold wink)
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Good chit, Chesty. You baritone bitch, you.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,412
    Considering what our 2-deeps look like, we're gonna need some of these true Frosh OL to contribute immediately in 2015, correct?

I'm trying to figure out who plays Center next season... Dane Crane was supposedly the future there, but he has yet to play a snap in college.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    Standard Supporter
    Seriously, did McGary move to OT?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    Standard Supporter
    In 2015, my guess is that RS-SR Tufunga battles RS-Soph Crane for the starting Center spot next year.

If McGary is indeed moving to OT, I see the competition like this:

LT: RS-JR Eldrenkamp vs. RS-Frosh McGary (RS-Frosh Matt James probably won't be ready to compete). There could be a chance Coleman Shelton moves over to LT but he's only 6'4".

LG: RS-SR Charles is back (John Turner could factor in here as the #2).

C: RS-SR Tufunga vs. RS-Soph Crane

RG: RS-JR Brostek vs. RS-Soph Kirkland vs. RS-Frosh Sosebee

RT: RS-Soph Shelton vs. ????. Maybe Kirkland ends up being the back-up swing guy at RG and RT?

Considering what our 2-deeps look like, we're gonna need some of these true Frosh OL to contribute immediately in 2015, correct?

I'm trying to figure out who plays Center next season... Dane Crane was supposedly the future there, but he has yet to play a snap in college.

• Options
    HFNY said:

In 2015, my guess is that RS-SR Tufunga battles RS-Soph Crane for the starting Center spot next year.

If McGary is indeed moving to OT, I see the competition like this:

LT: RS-JR Eldrenkamp vs. RS-Frosh McGary (RS-Frosh Matt James probably won't be ready to compete). There could be a chance Coleman Shelton moves over to LT but he's only 6'4".

LG: RS-SR Charles is back (John Turner could factor in here as the #2).

C: RS-SR Tufunga vs. RS-Soph Crane

RG: RS-JR Brostek vs. RS-Soph Kirkland vs. RS-Frosh Sosebee

RT: RS-Soph Shelton vs. ????. Maybe Kirkland ends up being the back-up swing guy at RG and RT?

Right on, seems to make sense, thanks for the insight. Hopefully we can RS most/all of our incoming 2015 OL and this unit can turn into a team strength.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Since we're in a TBS safe place, Dane Crane's film looked great.
  • Options

I thought the same thing, although seems odd he has yet to play a snap this season. Thought he might get some garbage time...

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I thought the same thing, although seems odd he has yet to play a snap this season. Thought he might get some garbage time...

Sadly hasn't been too much garbage time this year. Also, you've got Panda (ILTCHT) and Criste ahead of him at center.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Yeah, I think Crane will be fine. Just a RS-Frosh, plus he is behind 2 centers that are both seniors. I don't think he can play guard, think he is a center all the way, so that might be why you haven't seen him yet. His film was incredible.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Maybe Brostek will have a big year next year, would be nice.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Maybe Brostek will have a big year next year, would be nice.

I think the whole OL will be better next year.

We're transitioning from a zone-block scheme to a man-block scheme, so they'll have another year of teaching and technique by this time next year.