Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It's been a long time since we got an offensive commit

HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
One chinteresting thing about this class to me is how it has swung from offensive to defensive over time.

Here's our commits in order they have committed (dates listed are public, we know some of these guys like Tuitele committed much sooner but I don't have exact dates on those) (all dates 2018 unless otherwise noted):

Morris (July 16, 2017)
Kalepo (Aug 18, 2017) (GOAT!)
Cam Davis (Jan 28)
Lucky Luciano (March 12)

Kam Fab (March 28)
Paama (April 8)
Ngalu (April 16)
Taj (May 23)
Phonz Tuputala (June 11)
Ah You (June 12)
Horn (July 2)
Cam Williams (July 25)
Bandes (Aug 17)
Fautanu (Sept 6)
Buelow (Sept 29)
Trice (Oct 6)
Calvert (Oct 22)
Tuitele (Nov 18) (probably much sooner, this was the public date)
McDuffie (Dec 12)
Latu (Dec 18)

As of March 12 we had four commits, all on offense.

Since then we have taken 16 commitments, only 3 on offense (Taj, Fautanu and Buelow), 1 on ST (Horn) and 13 on defense.

This doesn't include Turner but he committed July 11 so if you include him that makes it 3 of the last 17 commits have been on the offensive side of the ball.

And of course, we are most likely getting Hammers and another DB to close the class. @UWhuskytskeet said in another thread he'd like to get Nacua just to get some momentum on the offensive side, and it's a really good (and interesting) point.

When you add in last year's finish it gets even more stark - the 2018 class started offense heavy but went very heavy defense down the stretch. Of course all three late signees were defensive, but even before that the last Tafisi, Taimani and Kaho (FTG) were the last three commits in the early period (and we already had commits from Morris and Kalepo before that).

So for 2018 and 2019 of the last 25 commits we have taken only 5 have been on the offensive side of the ball. The one caveat here is that both of our future commits came in poast March 12 and both are on the offensive side, so that helps a bit. But that still leaves only 7 of the last 27.

TL;DR - we have massive momentum on the defensive side right now. It would be nice to get a little going offensively.

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,939
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

We also moved Cook to DB. I think we’re going to try to play 85 guys on defense by 2021

A defense could exist
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

The dichotomy of offense and defense is fascinating.

Players in the offensive system tend to take multiple years before they see the field. Most redshirt. Those that don’t redshirt usually aren’t a huge part of anything. Sure their are some outliers like Jake, Trey, and Myles. But the complexity of the offense tends to slow the development of the players on that side so there is a log jam. Not a lot of early playing time, not a lot of standouts that go pro early, a lot of guys staying til their senior years.

It creates a logjam of players that make the recruiting requirements less. Throw in Pete’s tendency to not force kids out then the attrition on the offensive side remains small.

Then you have the defense. Prior to the new redshirting rule, there were a ton of kids burning through it. Most of the young players are getting early playing time through rotation or special teams play. The one rarity was Murphy which was a stunner that he redshirted but it doesn’t matter anyway because his talent ensured he was going to leave early.

The defense can be complex but also has its simplicity in play sound assignments and contain and just don’t give up the big plays. Kwat and Lake also prefer hockey style rotations so young players are getting in early and often and mixing in special teams coverage as well.

This is leading to the defense not being logjammed. No redshirts means getting out in 4 years. Guys are going pro early because they have experience and readiness that matches their talent.

So to me it’s not super surprising. You know the offense is going to be logjammed and the older players are going to play and not be forced out of the program if they aren’t head and shoulders better than the young guys. The youth has to sit and wait their yurn. In my opinion this means the coaches know where they need to add players and can focus in early and get those commits.

Meanwhile the defense is turning and burning. Youth gets played frequently so you’ll have attrition through going pro as well as graduation. Then you have attrition though older guys getting leapfrogged by more talented youth. Amandre, Sterk, a DT I can’t rememebr off the top of my head, etc.

So after the few offensive needs are met, it’s an easy focus to the defense. Start padding players because you need to refill the consistent 3 deep hockey shifts and special teams coverage. Then when players start to announce their transfer and early pro intentions, the end of the recruiting cycle is focused on the handful of defenders who can fill those new holes.

Or at least this is what I just made up off the top of my head while on the treadmill. I haven’t really ever given it though prior to this.

A lot of it has to do with the learning curve. Offensive players need more time to develop into the offense. They need to understand the playbook, recognize and react differently to different types of zones, and man coverage. Defense is more reactive, and it's more instinctive. Raw talent generally wins out on that side of the ball.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Players in the offensive system tend to take multiple years before they see the field. Most redshirt. Those that don’t redshirt usually aren’t a huge part of anything. Sure their are some outliers like Jake, Trey, and Myles. But the complexity of the offense tends to slow the development of the players on that side so there is a log jam. Not a lot of early playing time, not a lot of standouts that go pro early, a lot of guys staying til their senior years.

It creates a logjam of players that make the recruiting requirements less. Throw in Pete’s tendency to not force kids out then the attrition on the offensive side remains small.

Then you have the defense. Prior to the new redshirting rule, there were a ton of kids burning through it. Most of the young players are getting early playing time through rotation or special teams play. The one rarity was Murphy which was a stunner that he redshirted but it doesn’t matter anyway because his talent ensured he was going to leave early.

The defense can be complex but also has its simplicity in play sound assignments and contain and just don’t give up the big plays. Kwat and Lake also prefer hockey style rotations so young players are getting in early and often and mixing in special teams coverage as well.

This is leading to the defense not being logjammed. No redshirts means getting out in 4 years. Guys are going pro early because they have experience and readiness that matches their talent.

So to me it’s not super surprising. You know the offense is going to be logjammed and the older players are going to play and not be forced out of the program if they aren’t head and shoulders better than the young guys. The youth has to sit and wait their yurn. In my opinion this means the coaches know where they need to add players and can focus in early and get those commits.

Meanwhile the defense is turning and burning. Youth gets played frequently so you’ll have attrition through going pro as well as graduation. Then you have attrition though older guys getting leapfrogged by more talented youth. Amandre, Sterk, a DT I can’t rememebr off the top of my head, etc.

So after the few offensive needs are met, it’s an easy focus to the defense. Start padding players because you need to refill the consistent 3 deep hockey shifts and special teams coverage. Then when players start to announce their transfer and early pro intentions, the end of the recruiting cycle is focused on the handful of defenders who can fill those new holes.

Or at least this is what I just made up off the top of my head while on the treadmill. I haven’t really ever given it though prior to this.

Ricky McCoy was the DT. Ive attached an artists rendering of him.

TYFYS
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,939
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I didn’t read all of this but your first few sentences seemed spit on.

Our boring, stagnant, over complicated offense is a problem. Eason might be able to master it but are we scaring off elite WR talent? Is Pete really going to “fix” it?

I hate you for exercising as I eat bacon cheese fries and get fatter.
  • Options

I didn’t read all of this but your first few sentences seemed spit on.

Our boring, stagnant, over complicated offense is a problem. Eason might be able to master it but are we scaring off elite WR talent? Is Pete really going to “fix” it?

I hate you for exercising as I eat bacon cheese fries and get fatter.
    No worries. I’ll be eating garlic truffle lardon fries this evening.

Fucking magical.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    You have no idea of how much damage jake brownsox did
  • Options
    Swaye said:

All I got from this poast was Logjammin.