Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Elizabeth Warren proposes 'wealth tax' on Americans with more than $50 million in assets

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

ah nothing like a thread of HCH whining about the evils of taxing the uber wealthy.

Whining? You sound poor and like an economic illiterate though. Also like an envious bitch
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    Standard Supporter

I love how creative politicians have to be when they're trying to take more money from people. If they would actually spend tax dollars on shit we wanted, or on shit that's actually necessary to maintain a healthy, civilized society, there wouldn't even be a need for taxes. People would just donate. Instead, they spend our money in the shittiest, most inefficient way possible, so they have to get creative and try to trick people into supporting tax increases by making us think "Yeah, fuck wealthy people. Those fuckers don't need all that wealth...it's just, like, sitting there totally unused, man. Those greedy, arrogant, unskilled, lazy, fat, racist good-for-nothing rich people only got rich by making me poor anyway. So let's tax the fuck out of them. Sure, that won't improve my standard of living because the government sure as fuck isn't going to make my life any better with that money. But that's not important. What's important is that I can sit here and feel good about all those wealthy people getting fucked over. Fuck yeah!"

Start voting for people that will make people’s lives better. I always see this shit about “the government”. The government is made up of people. Elect better people and you’ll get better results.

The republicans deserve a lot of credit for electing Trump. He’s not the guy but they took their shot to get away from scumbag politicians. More than I can say for a shit load of democrats that won’t even take a shot.
    I don't disagree but I think there are much bigger opportunities for people in general. Too much to get into. I'd probably just argue myself into a corner if I did.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,949
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2019

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Ike sold the interstate freeway system as national defense

Like a wall

Shit the government is supposed to do

You driving a tank these days, Race?

Do we need a 70% tax rate to run interstate roads

I think the bigger problem with the 70% marginal tax rate is that it wouldn't raise that much money. I've already said I'd stop fetishizing investment income. Much simpler than taxing you rich guys 70% on your declared income exceeding $10 million.
    Would be better off with a VAT approach plus a flat tax on earned income (say, somewhere between 17 and 34%, rather easily). High end consumers would pay through the nose. Poor people wouldn't.

Problem solved.

Next.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it seems like evasion would be an ongoing problem. Much more so than with treating investment income as ordinary income.
    You pay the VAT tax when you buy the goods. Collection is super easy.

Goods can be purchased outside of the US. I’m not assuming everyone declares their international purchases.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

I think the bigger problem with the 70% marginal tax rate is that it wouldn't raise that much money. I've already said I'd stop fetishizing investment income. Much simpler than taxing you rich guys 70% on your declared income exceeding $10 million.
    Would be better off with a VAT approach plus a flat tax on earned income (say, somewhere between 17 and 34%, rather easily). High end consumers would pay through the nose. Poor people wouldn't.

Problem solved.

Next.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it seems like evasion would be an ongoing problem. Much more so than with treating investment income as ordinary income.

It’s the only tax I find somewhat tolerable. A tax on income (productivity) is fucking stupid.
    Damoan wants a tax increase on the poor and middle class to give the wealthy a huge tax cut. The rich have suffered enough.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

It’s the only tax I find somewhat tolerable. A tax on income (productivity) is fucking stupid.
    Damoan wants a tax increase on the poor and middle class to give the wealthy a huge tax cut. The rich have suffered enough.
    No I don’t. Lying asswipe.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

You’re the honest thief
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,463
    Again someone answer the question of how you think you have the right to another persons property?

2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

That's what switching to a VAT would do. Or do you not even know the consequences of the policies you want?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

That's what switching to a VAT would do. Or do you not even know the consequences of the policies you want?
    You’re a fucking simple mind. And a dumbfuck. Explain to me the “policies” I want. In detail.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

You’re a fucking simple mind. And a dumbfuck. Explain to me the “policies” I want. In detail.
    Well if you think the tax on productivity is stupid and a VAT is the only one that is tolerable..... You tell me what that means.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

You’re the honest thief
    Kind of ironic isn’t it that during the era that MAGA guys have the most nostalgia for - i.e., 1950s to 60s - the top rate never dropped below 70
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

I love how creative politicians have to be when they're trying to take more money from people. If they would actually spend tax dollars on shit we wanted, or on shit that's actually necessary to maintain a healthy, civilized society, there wouldn't even be a need for taxes. People would just donate. Instead, they spend our money in the shittiest, most inefficient way possible, so they have to get creative and try to trick people into supporting tax increases by making us think "Yeah, fuck wealthy people. Those fuckers don't need all that wealth...it's just, like, sitting there totally unused, man. Those greedy, arrogant, unskilled, lazy, fat, racist good-for-nothing rich people only got rich by making me poor anyway. So let's tax the fuck out of them. Sure, that won't improve my standard of living because the government sure as fuck isn't going to make my life any better with that money. But that's not important. What's important is that I can sit here and feel good about all those wealthy people getting fucked over. Fuck yeah!"

Start voting for people that will make people’s lives better. I always see this shit about “the government”. The government is made up of people. Elect better people and you’ll get better results.

The republicans deserve a lot of credit for electing Trump. He’s not the guy but they took their shot to get away from scumbag politicians. More than I can say for a shit load of democrats that won’t even take a shot.
    Why would anyone look to the government to make their life better?
    You missed the liberation of the concentration camps? Ever driven an interstate highway? Do you own any shares of public companies? Will you lose your savings if your bank goes tits up?

Asking for a friend.
    You guys are like the Kunt who immediately start talking about Firemen and the Police the moment anyone starts talking about cutting state spending.

Providing for a national defense is right there in the Constitution. Paying for grandma's hip replacement, I can't find that shit in the Constitution.
    I love the self-styled constitutional scholars on this board :D
    I'm not a Con-law scholar but I've read the damn thing.

Feel free to quote from the grandam's hip replacement clause.
    Damn right, Bob. I’m for a constutional amendment to ban Medicare paying for hip replacements, scooters, prescription meds, etc.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,949
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Again someone answer the question of how you think you have the right to another persons property?

Shall we pay for government with air?
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    Standard Supporter

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

You’re the honest thief
    Kind of ironic isn’t it that during the era that MAGA guys have the most nostalgia for - i.e., 1950s to 60s - the top rate never dropped below 70
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

You missed the liberation of the concentration camps? Ever driven an interstate highway? Do you own any shares of public companies? Will you lose your savings if your bank goes tits up?

Asking for a friend.
    You guys are like the Kunt who immediately start talking about Firemen and the Police the moment anyone starts talking about cutting state spending.

Providing for a national defense is right there in the Constitution. Paying for grandma's hip replacement, I can't find that shit in the Constitution.

Damn right, Bob. I’m for a constutional amendment to ban Medicare paying for hip replacements, scooters, prescription meds, etc.
    And yet even with that top rate of 70% the evil rich paid a smaller percentage of the income tax than they do today. As has been discussed ad nauseam, while the top rate may have been 70% few if any actually paid that rate.

How could it be that the tax code of the 1950s had a top marginal tax rate of 91 percent, but resulted in an effective tax rate of only 42 percent on the wealthiest taxpayers? In fact, the situation is even stranger. The 42.0 percent tax rate on the top 1 percent takes into account all taxes levied by federal, state, and local governments, including: income, payroll, corporate, excise, property, and estate taxes. When we look at income taxes specifically, the top 1 percent of taxpayers paid an average effective rate of only 16.9 percent in income taxes during the 1950s.[4]

https://taxfoundation.org/taxes-rich-1950-not-high/

Standard Supporter
    Sledog said:

Because they are Rats and they've always believed that they had an entitlement to the labor of others.
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

You’re the honest thief
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Asking for a friend.

And yet even with that top rate of 70% the evil rich paid a smaller percentage of the income tax than they do today. As has been discussed ad nauseam, while the top rate may have been 70% few if any actually paid that rate.

How could it be that the tax code of the 1950s had a top marginal tax rate of 91 percent, but resulted in an effective tax rate of only 42 percent on the wealthiest taxpayers? In fact, the situation is even stranger. The 42.0 percent tax rate on the top 1 percent takes into account all taxes levied by federal, state, and local governments, including: income, payroll, corporate, excise, property, and estate taxes. When we look at income taxes specifically, the top 1 percent of taxpayers paid an average effective rate of only 16.9 percent in income taxes during the 1950s.[4]

I do laugh at you blasting someone for this being argued ad nauseum and you clearly got absolutely nothing out of that discussion. Look below, now the top tax payers only pay 34% of their income for all taxes. Yet you say above they paid 42%. That's a drastic number. I'm guessing you don't understand what "marginal tax rate" means. Which makes sense cause you were arguing that you still get Personal exemptions.

And for those that missed the discussion. As you can see, even tho we have a progressive federal income tax system. When all taxes are taken into account, each tax bracket pays pretty close to their same share of income they make.

photo 0DF7B9D3-342E-49DA-B41C-0D5FE4699E3A_zpss7urveod.png
    Standard Supporter
    I do laugh that you're such a dishonest Kunt that you never address what I've actually said. The rich today pay a greater % of all the income taxes paid then they did when the rates were over 70%.

edited January 2019
    SFGbob said:

I do laugh that you're such a dishonest Kunt that you never address what I've actually said. The rich today pay a greater % of all the income taxes paid then they did when the rates were over 70%.

No. They. Don't. And yes I discussed that.... Back Then they paid 42% per your fucking quote. And now they pay 34%.

And if you are going for percentage of all taxes, as you technically State here. Your quote doesn't have that.

I'm beginning to think you are just fucking stupid and not autistic.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

Uhh...no. It wouldn't move the tax burden to the poor and middle class.

It puts a much greater burden on the rich in consumption of higher priced goods and services.

Things like groceries are exempt.

Standard Supporter
    edited January 2019
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

No. They. Don't. And yes I discussed that.... Back Then they paid 42% per your fucking quote. And now they pay 34%.

And if you are going for percentage of all taxes, as you technically State here. Your quote doesn't have that.

I'm beginning to think you are just fucking stupid and not autistic.
    I do laugh when the lying Kunt who's favorite game is to hide behind how the other person just can't comprehend what he is saying due to poor reading comprehension ends up talking out his ass due to his own poor reading comprehension.

Hey dumbfuck, that 42% includes a hell of lot more than just income taxes.

The 42.0 percent tax rate on the top 1 percent takes into account all taxes levied by federal, state, and local governments, including: income, payroll, corporate, excise, property, and estate taxes.

And I'm not just beginning to believe because it's been obvious since my first couple days here that you're a lying moron Hondo.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

You’re the honest thief
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Asking for a friend.

Yep. The income tax has been such a needlessly complex mess full of all manner of distortions to the maket. We’d be better off reducing them dramatically and going mostly VAT.