Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Asa "Mercer" Turner (the Trevor Lawrence of WC DBs), 4* 2019 S, Carlsbad (HS), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Meek said:

RDR said:
    It’s time?

I’m old so appreciate some translation by the kids here
    I'm old as fuck but feel he's saying down time.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Why aren't we trying to sign deporting white people?

My first post in this thread, on page 2.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,944
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Meek said:

RDR said:
    It’s time?

I’m old so appreciate some translation by the kids here
    I'm old as fuck but feel he's saying down time.
    Like nap time?
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm running low on WTFs, so hard hat on, going in:

This whole AIDS outbreak hasn't been a big deal for me, as I haven't really cared one way or another since official measurements were published. When he first committed, I was like, "Well, I don't see it in the film, but at 6'4" and 220 pounds, I understand the freak potential."

Now that it turns out he's pretty much average size for a safety, I just don't get it. Had to go back to the film, and I still don't get it. It's been a while since watching Taylor Rapp's film, but I remember him basically ending two players' lives in like the first three clips. It's a defensive player's highlight reel: you want to see people getting blown the fuck up. Turner gives me the impression of a player who just really doesn't want any part of it. Big kid for a high school safety, but big kid who'd rather be playing 7-on-7 with one of those wrestling helmets on. He makes tackles, but they're all of the "wrap the legs and roll" variety, even against much smaller backs and receivers. There's nothing wrong with fundamentals, and he's usually making these tackles in the open field, which is a big plus to see, but I wonder if he isn't going to move up to D-1, get the shit beaten out of him, and lose interest.

I got through five of his senior season game highlights looking for one--just one--hard, physical hit. Gave up at five games. At 6'4" and born-again-Death-Row-hard, I can see this. At 6'2", 195? Give me Ainius Smith, who at least has elite speed and, well, go to :40 in his hudl.

Summary: We're like 130 pages of AIDS into a guy who intercepts a pass and then pitches it to a teammate before getting tackled.

This is a terrible take for several reasons. In addition to what @LaMichael_Corleone said:

1) You seem really surprised that Asa is about 1.5 inches shorter, and 15 pounds lighter than his listed measurables. That shit is par for the course in recruiting, I’m surprised you’re surprised. You should never have evaluated him at his listed measurables.

2) You’re comparing him to Rapp, who is arguably our greatest safety ever. Not to mention Rapp played in a 2A league in Whatcom fucking County - he was playing against kids who were too slow for the cross country team. No shit he doesn’t look as dominant in his HS film as Rapp, he has actual competition and will likely never be the player Rapp is.
    1.) Not surprised at all. But it still puts things into perspective. At his originally listed measurables, the "project" made sense. With actual measurables, this is just an average sized strong safety who lacks aggression.

2.) Forget Rapp. Insert the name of ANY national level DB recruit in the country. Every single highlight reel I've watched from a UW-offered defensive back has at least one (usually many) clips of the guy blowing up a receiver or running back--all the way from Bellingham 2A to Trinity League. I brought up Ainius Smith for a reason: Smaller, 3-star corner/safety who murders a guy in just his second defensive highlight. It was terrible fundamentals (would have been targeting in college), but it displayed the kind of hunger for contact required to succeed on the defensive side of the ball in college. Hell, in Josh Calvert's film, he lays dudes out while playing quarterback. That I can't find such a play for Turner is troubling. Football--unless you're in the Big-12--is a physical game. 4-star college defenders should be animals against any kind of high school competition. What's he going to do when Eno Benjamin is barrelling down at him? That's all I'm getting at.

Lastly, 116 pages of AIDS is an awful lot of hype for a player that needs to be justified by "projection, projection, projection." If we have to triple project to imagine this guy being good, we should have just used the scholarship on a project that really wants to be here like McMillan or someone. All of the angst has been really disproportional. For 116 pages, I want to bring up the kid's film and feel like I'm watching a Godzilla movie.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

This whole AIDS outbreak hasn't been a big deal for me, as I haven't really cared one way or another since official measurements were published. When he first committed, I was like, "Well, I don't see it in the film, but at 6'4" and 220 pounds, I understand the freak potential."

Now that it turns out he's pretty much average size for a safety, I just don't get it. Had to go back to the film, and I still don't get it. It's been a while since watching Taylor Rapp's film, but I remember him basically ending two players' lives in like the first three clips. It's a defensive player's highlight reel: you want to see people getting blown the fuck up. Turner gives me the impression of a player who just really doesn't want any part of it. Big kid for a high school safety, but big kid who'd rather be playing 7-on-7 with one of those wrestling helmets on. He makes tackles, but they're all of the "wrap the legs and roll" variety, even against much smaller backs and receivers. There's nothing wrong with fundamentals, and he's usually making these tackles in the open field, which is a big plus to see, but I wonder if he isn't going to move up to D-1, get the shit beaten out of him, and lose interest.

I got through five of his senior season game highlights looking for one--just one--hard, physical hit. Gave up at five games. At 6'4" and born-again-Death-Row-hard, I can see this. At 6'2", 195? Give me Ainius Smith, who at least has elite speed and, well, go to :40 in his hudl.

Summary: We're like 130 pages of AIDS into a guy who intercepts a pass and then pitches it to a teammate before getting tackled.

This is a terrible take for several reasons. In addition to what @LaMichael_Corleone said:

1) You seem really surprised that Asa is about 1.5 inches shorter, and 15 pounds lighter than his listed measurables. That shit is par for the course in recruiting, I’m surprised you’re surprised. You should never have evaluated him at his listed measurables.

2) You’re comparing him to Rapp, who is arguably our greatest safety ever. Not to mention Rapp played in a 2A league in Whatcom fucking County - he was playing against kids who were too slow for the cross country team. No shit he doesn’t look as dominant in his HS film as Rapp, he has actual competition and will likely never be the player Rapp is.
    1.) Not surprised at all. But it still puts things into perspective. At his originally listed measurables, the "project" made sense. With actual measurables, this is just an average sized strong safety who lacks aggression.

2.) Forget Rapp. Insert the name of ANY national level DB recruit in the country. Every single highlight reel I've watched from a UW-offered defensive back has at least one (usually many) clips of the guy blowing up a receiver or running back--all the way from Bellingham 2A to Trinity League. I brought up Ainius Smith for a reason: Smaller, 3-star corner/safety who murders a guy in just his second defensive highlight. It was terrible fundamentals (would have been targeting in college), but it displayed the kind of hunger for contact required to succeed on the defensive side of the ball in college. Hell, in Josh Calvert's film, he lays dudes out while playing quarterback. That I can't find such a play for Turner is troubling. Football--unless you're in the Big-12--is a physical game. 4-star college defenders should be animals against any kind of high school competition. What's he going to do when Eno Benjamin is barrelling down at him? That's all I'm getting at.

Lastly, 116 pages of AIDS is an awful lot of hype for a player that needs to be justified by "projection, projection, projection." If we have to triple project to imagine this guy being good, we should have just used the scholarship on a project that really wants to be here like McMillan or someone. All of the angst has been really disproportional. For 116 pages, I want to bring up the kid's film and feel like I'm watching a Godzilla movie.
    His ability to blow people up is projection. He can already tackle and his ball skills are elite. Today.

He's not just about projection, just on the one thing you seem to care about.

Every DB we bring in blows people up. Turner will too.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Down to following 124 people on Twitter. I did not bother counting them this time but the ratio looks similar to when I counted previously. Still following all UW commits and pretty much the entire staff.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,448
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Have you called up Jimmy Lake to tell him you think he sucks and that he doesn't know how to recruit DBs?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Have you called up Jimmy Lake to tell him you think he sucks and that he doesn't know how to recruit DBs?
    the bag man
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

risinofthemoon said:

Any chance this is a numbers thing and we just don’t have any room for him?

Loy:

No. ND wants him. They’re not freaking out over the situation like the fans are (surprisingly) because ... A) They want guys that want to be at ND and aren’t on the fence about it. B) They want him as a linebacker/rover and believe his heart is more set on being a safety. C) They understand they landed some really nice pieces this cycle and last.

Ha "we only want guys that want to be here!"
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

risinofthemoon said:

Any chance this is a numbers thing and we just don’t have any room for him?

Loy:

No. ND wants him. They’re not freaking out over the situation like the fans are (surprisingly) because ... A) They want guys that want to be at ND and aren’t on the fence about it. B) They want him as a linebacker/rover and believe his heart is more set on being a safety. C) They understand they landed some really nice pieces this cycle and last.

Ha "we only want guys that want to be here!"
    They only want guys who piss hold and shit green