Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kyle Ford, 4* 2019 WR, Anaheim (Servite), CA (Offered 5/21/17)

Comments

• Options
    BlastDoorBlastDoor Member Posts: 711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I'm betting on Eric.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

It’s easy to play Monday Morning QB

If the strategy works nobody complains

When it misses turn everything over and blow it up

There are consequences to behaviors and strategies

Where is the upside to shutting down a positions recruiting and trusting the “commitment” of a kid when it’s backfired multiple times. This isn’t an outlier this has hurt us in multiple occasions to the point I want to know the pros about telling kids to fuck off do to a positional cap. It’s dumb.
    There are consequences on all sides

If you shut it down it is no problem IF you get what you need done. You honor the commitment made to the player when they verbal and that’s that.

Problem comes if you miss your target or if the target leaves you in the 11th hour you are stuck holding your Johnson.

By no means am I advocating the strategy in general because when you fail it tends to be spectacularly.

If I was Pete what I’d do is decide what my target numbers are in a class and plan for at minimum a +1 to that in each class. You may have a number of what you can take at any point in time and that still creates competition with spots filling up. But you don’t know how numbers will end, if you bomb a position, guys leave for the NFL, medically retire, transfer, or go back on their verbal. The communication needs to be clear that any additional recruiting isn’t trying to push anybody committed out but to ensure that the best possible class is brought in.

One of the biggest challenges Pete will have leveling up is that 90-95% of what he does works fantastically. Some of the changes I hear for the other 5-10% sound good on the surface. However, if that 5-10% are at odds with Pete’s 90-95% message then there may be erosion there to the point where you really aren’t gaining as much as you think ... and in the worst case scenario, you go backwards.

The trajectory is largely good ... I would tend to fall into the category of making tweaks to the framework vs overarching changes

There are some coaching moves that need to be made ... those should be done
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    whuggy said:

Tequilla said:

Where is the upside to shutting down a positions recruiting and trusting the “commitment” of a kid when it’s backfired multiple times. This isn’t an outlier this has hurt us in multiple occasions to the point I want to know the pros about telling kids to fuck off do to a positional cap. It’s dumb.
    Very correct. The position should be recruited up until Player A signs. Player B can also commit but should be told the offer is only committable if Player A doesn't sign in the early period. Then even after they sign all players should be continually recruited up until the first day of practice. After that coaches can back off slightly but still have to suck player dick because the new transfer rules means players on your roster will still be recruited by other teams.
    This is one of the most fucktardedly idiotic thing I've ever seen on this board

Let's just say that there are 10 different positional groups on a football team (QB, RB, TE, WR, OL, DL, ILB, OLB, CB, S) so you're advocating for a +1 10 different times.

So first thing first, you're asking 10 ELITE level kids to be willing to go up to early Signing Day with a non committable offer while spots at other ELITE programs are filling up.

Do you realize how fucking laughable that is?

In other words, you're essentially advocating "transparently slow playing" guys ... which could be described as a similar strategy as to what is done with in-state players ... which most are all over for saying that our strategy absolutely sucks ass.

So what you're really advocating with that strategy is not having elite players on the hook but having more Plan B guys on the hook ... who potentially aren't signing anyway on early Signing Day as they wait to see how things shake out at the big time programs because that Oregon St offer will always be there still if they are good enough.
  • Options
    ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794
    5 Fuck Offs First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

ZoneUW said:

Also remember at one point in the winter and early spring we stopped talking to Ford because we thought Ngata was in the bag and cherished our scholarship numbers so much that we went silent on Ford until Bush came back.

Think about that.

We thought it was too big of a burden to go after Ngata and Ford while Jake Haener, Kyler Manu, and Quinten Pounds are all on scholarship and Oklahoma signs three 5 star WR’s for the first time in rivals/scout history.

The entire strategy is so bad that the act of losing Ngata we also lost Ford. In the act of losing Asa Turner we also lost Noa Pola-Gates and Titus Toler. What are the positives of the “we only have a limited amount of spots so you better commit soon or someone will soon” approach if you get Asa to commit in June and it somehow causes you to miss out on 2 other guys when he decommits? Why did we tell Tre’shaun to go away if we were going to go 0-3 on WR’s the next year. If we fucking know Bru isn’t coming here and most likely neither is Kyle why the fuck would we be so stubborn with Tre’shaun I just don’t fucking get it.

I'm so ready to fire petersen's ass and get someone who understands how to recruit and how to win big games. Petersen is just competent enough to usually not fuck up against inferior opponents. THAT IS FUCKING IT.

Only reason we have two titles is the pac 12 is the weakest it's been in a LONG time right now, maybe ever.
    Hi Jack Cobra!
    LuxrayBeats
    That was his first alt
    Who?
  • Options

ZoneUW said:

Also remember at one point in the winter and early spring we stopped talking to Ford because we thought Ngata was in the bag and cherished our scholarship numbers so much that we went silent on Ford until Bush came back.

Think about that.

We thought it was too big of a burden to go after Ngata and Ford while Jake Haener, Kyler Manu, and Quinten Pounds are all on scholarship and Oklahoma signs three 5 star WR’s for the first time in rivals/scout history.

The entire strategy is so bad that the act of losing Ngata we also lost Ford. In the act of losing Asa Turner we also lost Noa Pola-Gates and Titus Toler. What are the positives of the “we only have a limited amount of spots so you better commit soon or someone will soon” approach if you get Asa to commit in June and it somehow causes you to miss out on 2 other guys when he decommits? Why did we tell Tre’shaun to go away if we were going to go 0-3 on WR’s the next year. If we fucking know Bru isn’t coming here and most likely neither is Kyle why the fuck would we be so stubborn with Tre’shaun I just don’t fucking get it.

I'm so ready to fire petersen's ass and get someone who understands how to recruit and how to win big games. Petersen is just competent enough to usually not fuck up against inferior opponents. THAT IS FUCKING IT.

Only reason we have two titles is the pac 12 is the weakest it's been in a LONG time right now, maybe ever.
    Hi Jack Cobra!

• Options

ZoneUW said:

Think about that.

Your* an idiot
    Why exactly? Or is down-voting my poasts just the flavor of the day?
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

whuggy said:

Tequilla said:

Very correct. The position should be recruited up until Player A signs. Player B can also commit but should be told the offer is only committable if Player A doesn't sign in the early period. Then even after they sign all players should be continually recruited up until the first day of practice. After that coaches can back off slightly but still have to suck player dick because the new transfer rules means players on your roster will still be recruited by other teams.
    This is one of the most fucktardedly idiotic thing I've ever seen on this board

Let's just say that there are 10 different positional groups on a football team (QB, RB, TE, WR, OL, DL, ILB, OLB, CB, S) so you're advocating for a +1 10 different times.

So first thing first, you're asking 10 ELITE level kids to be willing to go up to early Signing Day with a non committable offer while spots at other ELITE programs are filling up.

Do you realize how fucking laughable that is?

In other words, you're essentially advocating "transparently slow playing" guys ... which could be described as a similar strategy as to what is done with in-state players ... which most are all over for saying that our strategy absolutely sucks ass.

So what you're really advocating with that strategy is not having elite players on the hook but having more Plan B guys on the hook ... who potentially aren't signing anyway on early Signing Day as they wait to see how things shake out at the big time programs because that Oregon St offer will always be there still if they are good enough.
    Uh no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm not sure about your reading comprehension. I'm simply saying you keep recruiting the position until your first choice signs. If your first choice doesn't sign in early period then you at least have an option with your second choice. Your second choice is not likely to be elite.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Hey, gimme some odds lol.

- kk resigns and takes an NFL job in the next few weeks
    - Ford recants and goes uw
    - bru goes texas
    -
    Whaddya think? Plausible?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    animate said:

- bru goes texas
    -

Reporting is that Oregon was actually his second choice, so I'd say somewhere between unlikely and no fucking chance in hell.
  • Options
    ByronMurphyTheGoatByronMurphyTheGoat Member Posts: 37
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    animate said:

- bru goes texas
    -

Bru already signed

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Has ford signed? Or is he still just committed? Because If Kliff leaves you have to think he won’t be happy.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    animate said:

- bru goes texas
    -

Doog poast, doog poaster
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2019
    I think we have a good chance with ford still. Once kliff resigns to interview for the NFL he will not be returning to USC. The NFL will realize he isn't the guy and he'll end up as our QB coach. Ford is basically a done deal for us. WOOF!
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Bread said:

I think we have a good chance with ford still. Once kliff resigns to interview for the NFL he will not be returning to USC. The NFL will realize he isn't the guy and he'll end up as our QB coach. Ford is basically a done deal for us. WOOF!

Hahaha, I laffed
  • Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Bread said:

ICYMI, there's already a thread for just this scenario...https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/21254/name-your-most-embarrasing-doog-moment-deserves-its-own-thread#latest