Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maintenance

2»

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I'd never heard of Vanilla before coming here. Holy expensive, Batman! There's nothing about this forum that couldn't be replicated (or done better) with a free installation of phpbb or equivalent. Inmotion hosting's most basic managed dedicated server plan would probably handle this forum fine for just over $100 a month. You're overpaying to a staggering degree for what you're getting.

I’m no expert and my hobby bored is hosted totally free (and has shitty formatting, but still) but I agree that Vanillers prcing seems v high.

Is it partially due to the exchange rate?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,668
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited December 2018

I'd never heard of Vanilla before coming here. Holy expensive, Batman! There's nothing about this forum that couldn't be replicated (or done better) with a free installation of phpbb or equivalent. Inmotion hosting's most basic managed dedicated server plan would probably handle this forum fine for just over $100 a month. You're overpaying to a staggering degree for what you're getting.

The key word is "probably".

I was told your exact words back in 2013 and I made the switch for one month. It was not anywhere near the quality of Vanilla and the cries of protest from posters was deafening. (Plus I didn't like the format and functionality). The poster that made the suggestion to me felt so embarrassed that he left HH and never returned.

Do I have issues with Vanilla from time-to-time? Yes. But am I happy overall with what we're getting? Yes, I am. Plus I have reduced and fixed costs now so I have no complaints.
    Do they also host it or do they just manage the forum app. I can't tell if that's part of their service or not

Looks to me like rhey just help hook into a vps server with php and mysql
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,668
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Domicillo said:

It's real easy to post gifs and shit

Nothing else matters

Chicks dig flowing blonde locks and handlebar mustsches
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,119
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Agreed, vanilla is trash.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2018
    MisterEm said:

When you get older, you pay to free your time. I used to DIY everything...including my homes and a biz website. Now I just pay up and get what I want.

The only thing I DIY today is the racecar squad. If I die from a suspension failure taking a turn above 100mph, I want it to be my error.

I refuse to die from the hands of a 19 year old with an Accutane dependency and a fresh WyoTech degree.

Vanilla frees up more Stalin time compared to a SanFran dude brah. Time is worth more as you age.

Or if you’re a lazy piece of shit like me you do this anyways with anything you can. Fuck DIY.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

MisterEm said:

When you get older, you pay to free your time. I used to DIY everything...including my homes and a biz website. Now I just pay up and get what I want.

The only thing I DIY today is the racecar squad. If I die from a suspension failure taking a turn above 100mph, I want it to be my error.

I refuse to die from the hands of a 19 year old with an Accutane dependency and a fresh WyoTech degree.

Vanilla frees up more Stalin time compared to a SanFran dude brah. Time is worth more as you age.

One of the rare wise posts on HH. Bravo Zulu.
    Trade time for money as a kid. Trade money for time as an adult.

MisterEm said:

I have some friends that try to give me shit for paying to have my car serviced.

"You paid $300 for that? Dude, you could have ordered the part online for $30 and installed it yourself. Put your car on some jack stands, remove the oil gaskets, drain the fuel injectors, and then use a series 903 torque conversion ratchet to take off the mounting brackets. Then you just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. Take you maybe 2 hours."

Yeah, fuck that shit.
    Cars are pricey. Good mechanics are rare. Pay them well..

My shop is a bargain compared to German dealerships, but this is every millenial kid's response to a race inspection (required signed inspection before entering any paddock) after I tell him what he needs to fix before race day.

"I already paid my $300/day race entry fee! I only budgeted for a $100 inspection."

"I read a forum/FB thread that said it's only X amount of hours/labor!!"

"I can't pay you until next month? Can you get it ready for next Friday?"

Not without a few Gs my guy. We won't sign your inspection without the repairs. We race too. Your car is not safe.

CC, Venmo or Paypal?