Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We? should have recruited Cale Millen

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Woodinville beat Graham-Kapowsin 49-17 in the playoffs and intercepted Morris three times. Enough said on that.

Woodinville beat Cale Millen and Mount Si too, but I came away much more impressed with Millen than Morris, for what it's worth.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whuggy said:

I haven’t watched Cale’s senior film with any seriousness, but I suspect we made the wrong decision. Dylan is fine, but he’s a 3-star kid who looked great as a sophomore and was almost 5-star.

He’s just kind of stuck to that anchor point and people have adjusted away from him being a top 100 player as a sophomore.

If he’d had one year of film and looked like this, he’d be going to Cal.

This is a FWIW. Andrew Nemec who covers recruiting for the Ducks has seen Morris play numerous times. He has extremely high praise for the kid mentioning things like he has never seen a high school kid with a better grasp of the offense and also that he can make every kind of throw. For someone who has every reason to belittle Husky recruits his comments made me sit up and take notice. Lets not downgrade the kid just yet.
    Having a grasp of an offense in high school isn’t really that important. Sure, he’s a great HS QB.

“He can make every throw” is what people say when they are speaking in the platitudiest of platitudes. He can’t make every throw. His arm is fine, but it’s just average.

I don’t think he sucks, but he’s just not someone with a lot of upside. I think he was a finished product as a sophomore and that’s kind of what we’ve seen over time.

It’s fine. He’s fine. He’s not awful. I suppose in some fantasy world his high side is Drew Brees. Low side is Jake Heaps.

I’m not sure why it matters what Nemec thinks. Is he some QB guru and I hadn’t heard?

Last year we had a big time year at QB, but Dylan committed to us because ND turned him down and there’s a reason they did.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Baphomet said:

I thought Eason's sideline act was an ode to Yankoff? Which led me to think Yankoff must be pretty good.

I’m shocked Grinolds hasn’t asked Eason on camera what that Tourette’s hand-gesturing was all about.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I haven’t watched Cale’s senior film with any seriousness, but I suspect we made the wrong decision. Dylan is fine, but he’s a 3-star kid who looked great as a sophomore and was almost 5-star.

He’s just kind of stuck to that anchor point and people have adjusted away from him being a top 100 player as a sophomore.

What I see in Morris is a better version of Browning ... I don’t think he’s going to drastically get better in college from what he is right now but you have a pretty high floor to work with

Physically, Millen’s the more prototypical QB and the one with the higher ceiling. Watching his film he throws a lot of balls with humps in them and most throws are to the outside ... while he displays good touch at times any arm strength issues to those throws in college result in incompletions and turnovers. His highlights don’t tend to show much over the middle and intermediate and he at times throws it with zip ... Morris is definitely better for those throws

For what we want to do, Morris is probably the better fit although I’m not sure either are guys that are multi-year starters for a top P12 program ... the importance of Cale for the Ducks was for his younger brother ... which doesn’t have the same importance to us given he’s the same class as Huard

Woodinville beat Graham-Kapowsin 49-17 in the playoffs and intercepted Morris three times. Enough said on that.

Woodinville beat Cale Millen and Mount Si too, but I came away much more impressed with Millen than Morris, for what it's worth.

Because high school football matters
  • dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited December 2018
    If we? think Millen developed into the better QB isn't this likely some (not for all - IDK the scoop on Rodgers and Gee is another debate) of the reason we? somewhat slow play some younger in-state kids?

Other top programs offer all of the rising freshmen and sophomores. If they don't develop they can just drop them as commits or stop recruiting them. That isn't really Petersen's MO.

I'm not saying Petersen can't tweak his philosophy, but bitching for offering some kids too early and some too late is what we're? doing here.
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

What I see in Morris is a better version of Browning ... I don’t think he’s going to drastically get better in college from what he is right now but you have a pretty high floor to work with

Physically, Millen’s the more prototypical QB and the one with the higher ceiling. Watching his film he throws a lot of balls with humps in them and most throws are to the outside ... while he displays good touch at times any arm strength issues to those throws in college result in incompletions and turnovers. His highlights don’t tend to show much over the middle and intermediate and he at times throws it with zip ... Morris is definitely better for those throws

For what we want to do, Morris is probably the better fit although I’m not sure either are guys that are multi-year starters for a top P12 program ... the importance of Cale for the Ducks was for his younger brother ... which doesn’t have the same importance to us given he’s the same class as Huard
    I think this is pretty spot on. I don't see Millen as being the next big time QB in Eugene. He's depth to Shough and possibly Ukelele. More a play on Cale.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2018
    @StrongArmCobra brah save this thread wit your aids please
  • MotownMotown Member Posts: 144
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Obviously the only thing that matters is their elite 11 rankings, where Dylan was a finalist. They are elite and only 11 of them. Case closed
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

If you can't see that the GP comment was made tongue-in-cheek, then you're a fucking idiot
    gulag no warning just gone!!!

Tequilla said:

This is the dumbest take that somehow some here have convinced themselves to be true.
    There's such a talent differential at the high school level ... particularly if you are an elite player.

When I'm watching anything high school related, I'm looking for something to wow me. Winning is nice and that's great. But stats, etc. don't mean shit to me.

It reminds me when my brothers were in high school playing baseball. This one kid was working a nice behind the scenes smear campaign on how my brother was the one always getting the recognition because this kid had more homers and RBIs. It never occurred to him that the reason he got his numbers was because teams wanted nothing to do with my brother who hit in front of him. Also didn't matter to that kid that when they faced legit pitching my brother showed up and the big mouth sucked ass. Also probably had something to do with why my brother was a 4 year starter in college while the other shit was a backup for a year at a JuCo before giving it all up.

Tequilla said:

If you can't see that the GP comment was made tongue-in-cheek, then you're a fucking idiot
    I can ... and it was only 3 INTs instead of 6 ... so he's already 2x better than Sirmon (see what I did there???)

Point still stands that I just get so annoyed at the whole high school thing ... particularly after watching my brothers go through high school. It's nice ... but I've seen so many beta kids get scared when the going gets tough that it's really hard to have too much of a takeaway about any particular game.

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

This is the dumbest take that somehow some here have convinced themselves to be true.
    There's such a talent differential at the high school level ... particularly if you are an elite player.

When I'm watching anything high school related, I'm looking for something to wow me. Winning is nice and that's great. But stats, etc. don't mean shit to me.

It reminds me when my brothers were in high school playing baseball. This one kid was working a nice behind the scenes smear campaign on how my brother was the one always getting the recognition because this kid had more homers and RBIs. It never occurred to him that the reason he got his numbers was because teams wanted nothing to do with my brother who hit in front of him. Also didn't matter to that kid that when they faced legit pitching my brother showed up and the big mouth sucked ass. Also probably had something to do with why my brother was a 4 year starter in college while the other shit was a backup for a year at a JuCo before giving it all up.
    I'm hearing your brother could a hit it over them there mountains if coach had just put him in for the big game
    Was in the game ... 4 year college starter ... drafted ...
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I'm hearing your brother could a hit it over them there mountains if coach had just put him in for the big game
    Was in the game ... 4 year college starter ... drafted ...
    And if you could go back in time, he'd take state