Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offensive Line Recruiting

2»

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,265
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Bread said:

Baseman said:

From the 2015 signing class, prospects who are seniors now, Clemson’s Mitch Hyatt is the only four- or five-star O-line recruit (according to 247Sports) to make first-team all-conference.

I didnt believe this. Sounds like a major twist. So I went and check and it's just a straight up lie.
    First the twist, Theres literally only 11 players that are 2015 4/5 star oline that are currently seniors. 5 of them have played less then half the games due to injury. And then the lie. 3 of the remaining 6 made first team all conference not just Hyatt. Mitch Hyatt, martes Ivey, isiah prince,
    Connor Lanfear, Trey Adams, Keaton Sutherland, Grant Newsome, Tyree St. Louis, Dru Samia, Zach Bailey, Patrick Vahe.

Also Patrick Vahe, tyree St loius, Keaton Sutherland, Trey Adam's, martes ivy are by far the best oline on their team even though they didnt make all conference and all the fan bases crave more oline like them.

Kind of funny is that James Daniels is the only 2015 4/5 star oline in the nfl and he was the lowest rated.
    You overlooked the lede.

Feldman’s point was 2.4 —sub 3–is the average star rating for last year’s Pro-Bowl OL, none of which were rated as 5-stars.

Similar articles come out every year. They are always garbage for the reason UW_Doog_Bot gives- they always ignore the fact that this is not a balanced ranking system- there are barely any 5 stars and everyone is a 3.
    Huh?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,265
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    But yea, agree with that point. I'd also expand on the fact that there's a developmental curve which DDY also talks about. There's a whole lot of lineman who are DDY 2's aka 3 star borderline 4 star that come out of high school needed to be developed either physically or by coaching. By the time they are hitting the NFL they've done those things and made up lots of ground against their 5 star peers. That doesn't mean that those 5 stars didn't out perform these guys in college for 4 years.

Then there's the other consideration of is it good to be a 5 star and come in and start for 3-4 years and go to the NFL health wise. It might be better to be in a program that takes "project" guys, red shirts them, has them develop behind the starters for another 1-2 years, and then has them have monster jr./sr. years and go to the NFL.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’ll take my chances with this OL class. The best OL on UW the past few years were 4 star guys (Adams and McGary). Harris is an outlier, but was obviously a very good get.

Both Kalepo and Buelow are okay now but are ranked primarily based on their size, strength, and athleticism. I don’t think anyone here expects much from them for a few years. Fautana is fucking amazing, but will obviously need size.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer

Baseman said:

I've argued many times that OL is by far the hardest position to evaluate and the one where star rankings are least reliable only to be shouted down by the bored intelligentsia.

I feel vindicated.

This new information is a real black-eye for Dennis and Coker

When they evaluate a prospect, most O-line coaches first want to see if the kid can bend. Does he have good flexibility in his ankles, knees and hips? Can he really move his feet?
    “You don’t want a guy who is a heavy-footed dude,” Hand says. “I want guys who can put their cleats in the ground. You can tell a lot by their stance. Can they keep their heels in the ground? If they can’t, that means they have poor ankle flection. You don’t want them up on their toes a lot.”

Nope, @CokeGreaterThanPepsi knows his fucking shit when it comes to OL.
    I can't take my eyes off his hips.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

I've argued many times that OL is by far the hardest position to evaluate and the one where star rankings are least reliable only to be shouted down by the bored intelligentsia.

I feel vindicated.

This new information is a real black-eye for Dennis and Coker

When they evaluate a prospect, most O-line coaches first want to see if the kid can bend. Does he have good flexibility in his ankles, knees and hips? Can he really move his feet?
    “You don’t want a guy who is a heavy-footed dude,” Hand says. “I want guys who can put their cleats in the ground. You can tell a lot by their stance. Can they keep their heels in the ground? If they can’t, that means they have poor ankle flection. You don’t want them up on their toes a lot.”

Nope, @CokeGreaterThanPepsi knows his fucking shit when it comes to OL.

The praise was not effusive.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I feel vindicated.

Yeah, as others have said - you should've feel vindicated.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I feel vindicated.

Yeah, as others have said - you should've feel vindicated.
    Thanks!