Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I no longer Pop for Hop

haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
This is just shit. Why wait 3-4 years?

In before the Gonzaga scrimmage.

Comments

• Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    They’re gonna beat us by at least 30. Maybe more.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think he will be alright, but many were quick to crown him. Any coach was going to look decent last year after the players had completely quit under Romar.

It’s still basketball. College basketball is shit. Nobody really cares.

When west coast football dies in 2022 like everyone here says this is all I'll have man. And the blazers. Who just lost to pop and the spurs' carcass.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I just dont see how they will be able to score more than 20 points a game next year. Their offense is absolutely terrible, and next year it will fall to the guys who are even worse than the current starters.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

I think he will be alright, but many were quick to crown him. Any coach was going to look decent last year after the players had completely quit under Romar.

Beating Kansas in Kansas was the reason for the crown.

He needs to learn what even coach K has learned. This is turning into a shooters game. Have a quick motion offense with dudes who can shoot. We have a show lazy offense with dudes who can't make a lay in.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

He needs to learn what even coach K has learned. This is turning into a shooters game. Have a quick motion offense with dudes who can shoot. We have a show lazy offense with dudes who can't make a lay in.
    Kind of like Trump and the stock market? Amirite?
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

Um. No.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,391
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited December 2018
    Here's how the brown eyes of BleachedAnusDawg see UW hoops.

I had never even heard of UW basketball being a real thing that people cared about until the Femerling/McCullough led team made hay in the tournament and had its heart ripped out by UCONN - and I was 17 when that happened. Enter Romar and a 6-7 year run of pretty good teams, with one really good one that underachieved (B-Roy UCONN game). I would credit that to historic NBA-level talent that was local more than UW actually being a destination school for good hoops; there was no actual model in place to make that success ongoing. Outside of those few years this is a school that goes 8 - 20 years in between tournament appearances. And yes, Houbregs, and Welp...Schrempf, blah blah blah.

Why anyone would ever follow UW hoops is beyond me. If you want to watch college hoops and pretend to have a "local" team I wouldn't blame anyone for following the Zags. They're not my cup of tea - and really I just don't care about college basketball - but why people continue to torture themselves about a sport that UW has not really been historically great or good at is beyond me. Especially now that the football program is back on the map.

TL;DR - basketball is not a real sport like football. Save your UW fandom, energy, and money for doing all it can to help the football program take the next step.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    Swaye's Wigwam

I had never even heard of UW basketball being a real thing that people cared about until the Femerling/McCullough led team made hay in the tournament and had its heart ripped out by UCONN - and I was 17 when that happened. Enter Romar and a 6-7 year run of pretty good teams, with one really good one that underachieved (B-Roy UCONN game). I would credit that to historic NBA-level talent that was local more than UW actually being a destination school for good hoops; there was no actual model in place to make that success ongoing. Outside of those few years this is a school that goes 8 - 20 years in between tournament appearances. And yes, Houbregs, and Welp...Schrempf, blah blah blah.

Why anyone would ever follow UW hoops is beyond me. If you want to watch college hoops and pretend to have a "local" team I wouldn't blame anyone for following the Zags. They're not my cup of tea - and really I just don't care about college basketball - but why people continue to torture themselves about a sport that UW has not really been historically great or good at is beyond me. Especially now that the football program is back on the map.

TL;DR - basketball is not a real sport like football. Save your UW fandom, energy, and money for doing all it can to help the football program take the next step.

The alumni from the 2006-2010 like me got into basketball when the football team died.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    Founders Club

2001400ex said:

Do you see the cancer you've allowed to STAY! ??
  • LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,626
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

When west coast football dies in 2022 like everyone here says this is all I'll have man. And the blazers. Who just lost to pop and the spurs' carcass.
    Lucky for you - you can start rooting for the Seattle Totems right around that time
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    I thought Hop did a nice job in year one but haven’t been impressed this year. It seems damning that the team looks EXACTLY the same as last year. Nobody looks to have gotten any better or worse.

Year 3 will probably be the most telling but I can’t say I’m optimistic.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Do you also quit on your first flaccid pole or do you try again?