Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Trojan Talk

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Text from a dialed in LA source.

Hearing the following from a growing faction of powerful Troy boosters
  • “Proven winner”
  • “Innovative TeeTotaler”
  • “Give him SC resources, enough for an elite DC and staff, and look out”
  • “Star Power
You can’t make this up...stay tuned...

Comments

• Options
    AUBURNTROJANAUBURNTROJAN Member Posts: 192
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    You lying fuck, base!
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Jimmy lake is having a hard time with NNN
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Jimmy lake is having a hard time with NNN

not sure jimmy ready for the trojan head coaching job
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    "Innovative teetotaler"? Your friend's intel is shit.

Leach likes his Crown. A lot.

• Options
    Dawg_Stan1Dawg_Stan1 Member Posts: 45
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    Will Ferrell gonna be flying in for the Apple Cup Now I reckon.
  • Options

"Innovative teetotaler"? Your friend's intel is shit.

Leach likes his Crown. A lot.

Just passing on what my source is hearing. Don’t twist
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    At this point USC is step back in programs. He’d be going from suck to shit. Dipshit ADs, hiring dipshit after dipshit, soft players, dipshit boosters, all bundled into a cement packaged aids pit. Colorado is a much better option. Or OC at Alabama.
  • Options
    dongman said:

At this point USC is step back in programs. He’d be going from suck to shit. Dipshit ADs, hiring dipshit after dipshit, soft players, dipshit boosters, all bundled into a cement packaged aids pit. Colorado is a much better option. Or OC at Alabama.

HC @ USC is, and always has been, the best CFB job west of the Mississippi.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Honestly, while The Pirate would be must see TV for many reasons ... I can envision scary USC teams with him at the helm.

If they let Leach be Leach
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    Baseman said:

dongman said:

Why not Texas?
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Baseman said:

dongman said:

Why not Texas?
    With USC attendance plummetting this year you can easily make the case.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Baseman said:

dongman said:

Why not Texas?
    Because Oklahoma.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

dongman said:

Why not Texas?
    Excluding a near monopoly on CA’s HS talent, perfect weather, opportunity, a strong national recruiting pull, the entertainment industry, and LA, I can’t think of any reasons why a coach, given the option, would pick USC over Texas
    I'd argue that UT has all of those things you mentioned outside of perfect weather and the entertainment industry. Plus, Austin > LA, and it's not even close. The gulf is even larger when you factor in the shithole of a neighborhood that USC is located in. It might be the most charmless college setting in America. Texas certainly has it's own baggage to deal with when it comes to obnoxious boosters that stick their nose in everything, so that's a major ding against them. But they can also certainly afford to pay more than USC, and I think a lot of coaches would put a lot of stock in coaching in front of a sold-out crowd at DKR over a half-full crowd in the crumbling Coliseum.

Both schools have plenty of unique reasons for coaches NOT wanting to go there, but at the end of the day I don't see how anyone could argue that Texas isn't a "better" job than USC. They've got them beat in just about every objective measure.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

dongman said:

Why not Texas?
    Excluding a near monopoly on CA’s HS talent, perfect weather, opportunity, a strong national recruiting pull, the entertainment industry, and LA, I can’t think of any reasons why a coach, given the option, would pick USC over Texas
    I'd argue that UT has all of those things you mentioned outside of perfect weather and the entertainment industry. Plus, Austin > LA, and it's not even close. The gulf is even larger when you factor in the shithole of a neighborhood that USC is located in. It might be the most charmless college setting in America. Texas certainly has it's own baggage to deal with when it comes to obnoxious boosters that stick their nose in everything, so that's a major ding against them. But they can also certainly afford to pay more than USC, and I think a lot of coaches would put a lot of stock in coaching in front of a sold-out crowd at DKR over a half-full crowd in the crumbling Coliseum.

Both schools have plenty of unique reasons for coaches NOT wanting to go there, but at the end of the day I don't see how anyone could argue that Texas isn't a "better" job than USC. They've got them beat in just about every objective measure.
    I think you can make an argument for Texas but I think SC is a better job by a significant margin. Most importantly is Texas isn't even the undisputed best job in it's own conference. Oklahoma has been running circles around them for the better part of 20 years now and it's not like Oklahoma is historically inept. USC doesn't have the specter of being little brother to anybody, which is why I think it >>>> Texas when it comes to CFB jobs.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Austin is not better than LA
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

dongman said:

Why not Texas?

I think you can make an argument for Texas but I think SC is a better job by a significant margin. Most importantly is Texas isn't even the undisputed best job in it's own conference. Oklahoma has been running circles around them for the better part of 20 years now and it's not like Oklahoma is historically inept. USC doesn't have the specter of being little brother to anybody, which is why I think it >>>> Texas when it comes to CFB jobs.
    That's...a really bizarre argument. I don't see how Oklahoma at all diminishes Texas's prestige, or the attractiveness of that job. If anything, I would say it enhances it. It's not like Michigan is any less of a job because Ohio State is there, and the recent success of the Sooners relative to the Longhorns doesn't even touch the level of dominance that OSU has had over UM. This argument might have merit if we're talking about Auburn, UCLA, or Michigan State, but nobody in their right mind would ever call Texas the "little brother" in its rivalry to Oklahoma. They're pretty well-matched as blue bloods, even though Texas still owns the all-time series pretty handily and has far and away the superior financial resources.

But speaking of your arbitrary 20 year timeline in which Oklahoma has "ran circles" around Texas - that's really not the case. Oklahoma is 12-8 against Texas in that span, and that includes one of the most historically inept stretches Texas has ever had. Oklahoma meanwhile has seen some of its most historically successful seasons come during that same time frame. So again, I don't see how any perceived inferiority to Oklahoma, which I would argue doesn't even exists outside of fringe opinion-holders (of which there will always be for any topic), would even factor into a coach's decision to take the Texas job. Factors like an overzealous administration/booster network, an unrelenting fanbase that will try to wring your neck after any loss, and obnoxious media requirements for the Longhorn Network would all be legitimate gripes with taking the job. But the rivlary with Oklahoma is nowhere close to being on that list. If anything, I would imagine the Texas AD sells the prestige and history of the RRR in every meeting with a prospective Texas head coach.