Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Who knew w/ Herm and Death Row Chink in Armor thoughts

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Kudos for Herm and his game plan. Shorten the game, be really happy with 3-4 yard runs, get it to 3rd and short move the sticks. Pete mentioned it half and after game they were surprised at the game plan. Surprised we stayed in nickle all game especially 2nd half. Still think the Edwards experiment will end badly, but ASU has as good of shot as anyone else in the South to play in the CCG.

And now for the bad news. ASU went 50% on third down, and after a while it stops becoming a trend, and becomes a fact. That's where we are and it's the inability to get off the field on 3rd. Is it our weakness at ILB, only playing 2 DL, not being able to hold the edge consistently on Benning's side, or a combo of all, other? Looking at our schedule, minus Oregon State and Ucla (maybe WSU) every other team can stay in the game versus us home or away by following that formula. The pisser of it is that you never feel terrible watching it as the offense isn't doing anything spectacular, and they are just getting those first downs by a yard or two, but you look up and they've moved the ball 50 yards and have taken 5 minutes off the clock doing so.

One final shitty thought: I trust our FG kicker WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than our kick/punt coverage. We suck at it after being great in 2016, and very good last year. It's not a matter of if, just when one gets taken back on us to the house.

There was a weird vibe in the house last night vs ASU, and I'd bet it will be the same next week versus BYU. It will be interesting to see if we have/what are motivational level is.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I specifically asked for no racist crap
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Herm's biggest problem is going to be recruiting … he's clearly shown that he can come up with a plan to keep the Devils in the game.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

The strategy from ASU this year was largely the same as it was last year … play to get short gains trying to convert on 3rd and shorts … shorten the game … nothing too fancy there other than last year they did it with short passes and this year with short runs.

While I agree with you that the game plan isn't that complicated against us on offense, it's one that very few teams can execute. The problem with the strategy is that all it takes is one negative play, one penalty, etc. and then to convert you're likely looking at having to push the ball down the field. And to be quite honest, I'm not sure that there's a QB in the conference that I'd trust to do that (and that includes Herbert).

The reality is that we're going to be playing a lot of 24-13, 24-17, 27-20 type games this year. That's just going to be the reality … get used to it.

Agree that it's a massive item that we can trust our FG kicker at this point … still not sure how far out I really trust him (I'm thinking anything 40 and in I feel good about) … Whitford being back is pretty significant for us. The punting game was largely very good last night with the exception of Harry's return … and I'm willing to chalk that up to Harry being Harry.

This is a good take, but I think a lot needs to be said about Bush’s inability to finish games strong. This was the third straight game where we haven’t been able to put in a kill shot (I’m including UND since we should’ve won by 70) against very inferior teams. Herm’s game plan should’ve been blown wide open with all of our offense’s second half opportunities, but we only came away with 10 points. I’m willing to give him some leash since this is his first season as an actual play caller, but he’s been very underwhelming so far and he better figure it out fast because there aren’t many gimmes like a home game against ASU left on the schedule.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    When you are midway through the 4th quarter with a 2 TD lead and a 3rd and long at midfield, making a conservative call to punt the opposition to the 10 and a long field is the right play with our defense. The only thing that fucked that up was Harry's return.

There's process and execution. Last night, I was largely happy with the process that we had. We didn't always execute and that can be worked on.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,972
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    i think byu will beat us by 10
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

i think byu will beat us by 10

We don't play them until November. Relax and enjoy the bye week now.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I would kill to have a team that used ASUs offe dive game plan every week.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,573
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    UW had 6 in the box all night. Gave ASU the running lanes, but it was surprising our? guys struggled getting off blocks
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    Tequilla said:

Herm's biggest problem is going to be recruiting … he's clearly shown that he can come up with a plan to keep the Devils in the game.

No it won't. Being black is a huge recruiting advantage. Look at Taggart. Dude was a complete nobody and immediately boosted Oregon's recruiting higher than it had ever been before after they went 4-8 the previous season. Plus Herm is a former NFL coach and TV personality. He's going to get ASU in living rooms that they had no chance at being in under Graham.

My greatest fear is USC firing Helton and hiring Jimmy Lake.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

No it won't. Being black is a huge recruiting advantage. Look at Taggart. Dude was a complete nobody and immediately boosted Oregon's recruiting higher than it had ever been before after they went 4-8 the previous season. Plus Herm is a former NFL coach and TV personality. He's going to get ASU in living rooms that they had no chance at being in under Graham.

I actually agree with this. All of it. Though part of me would be pretty surprised that USC wouldn't go for a proven commodity after three coaching hire fuck ups in a row, but the other part of realizes they have bungled three in a row so what's one more? That doesn't mean I don't think Lake will be a great HC one day, but just that he is unproven and no blue chip program should ever have to go for unproven.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

I actually agree with this. All of it. Though part of me would be pretty surprised that USC wouldn't go for a proven commodity after three coaching hire fuck ups in a row, but the other part of realizes they have bungled three in a row so what's one more? That doesn't mean I don't think Lake will be a great HC one day, but just that he is unproven and no blue chip program should ever have to go for unproven.
    Lake probably takes Will Harris at DB coach, Malloe as his DC and half of our defensive recruits with him
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 755
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    So we go get Gerald Alexander and he coaches up Irvin, Gordon and Hampton and they all become 1st rounders in 2 years.

Malloe is a Dwag 4evah.