Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

On this day 27 years ago...

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
76,000 classy Nebraska fans stood as one to applaud the Washington Huskies. UW trailed 21-9 late in the third quarter but overwhelmed the Cornhuskers late for a 36-21 win on national TV. Still ranks as Stalin's favorite Husky game of all-time.

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    When uw used to play a tuff schedule
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,160
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The '91 schedule was cupcake city. We had 2 tuff games against top 25 opponents and that was it- i.e., at #9 Nebraska and at #7 Cal. Our strength of schedule this year is no worse overall than 1991. This is not taking anything away from how great that team was so don't twist.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

When UW used to be capable of coming from behind to win games
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

The '91 schedule was cupcake city. We had 2 tuff games against top 25 opponents and that was it- i.e., at #9 Nebraska and at #7 Cal. Our strength of schedule this year is no worse overall than 1991. This is not taking anything away from how great that team was so don't twist.
    Winning two away games at top 10 teams is way more impressive than anything we will accomplish this regular season.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Winning two away games at top 10 teams is way more impressive than anything we will accomplish this regular season.
    This. That team brought the whole thing home. So they can pop off all they want vs this years team
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

When UW had a QB was capable of coming from behind to win games
    Swaye's Wigwam

Don't disagree, BUT...

I think beating Auburn in Atlanta would have rivaled the 1991 win of Nebraska in terms of importance to our program. The was a GOOD Nebraska team but Osborne still needed a few more years to get his reads down. I think the jury is still out Stanford. Come Nov, that could be a game of epic proportions. And let's hope Game Day stays away.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Don't disagree, BUT...

I think beating Auburn in Atlanta would have rivaled the 1991 win of Nebraska in terms of importance to our program. The was a GOOD Nebraska team but Osborne still needed a few more years to get his reads down. I think the jury is still out Stanford. Come Nov, that could be a game of epic proportions. And let's hope Game Day stays away.
    Agree, Auburn could have been right there.

Stanford will probably be a team of similar caliber to 91 Nebraska/Cal but it's a home game.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Don't disagree, BUT...

Stanford will probably be a team of similar caliber to 91 Nebraska/Cal but it's a home game.
    And we're nowhere near the '91 team this year, so getting a top ten win at home would be really good for the program. I know everyone here thinks Oregon is a joke right now, but that game still scares me. BONEM!!
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HuskyJW said:

I was there!

But you're not Race
  • But we didn’t beat Auburn so it doesn’t matter
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam

Don't disagree, BUT...

And we're nowhere near the '91 team this year, so getting a top ten win at home would be really good for the program. I know everyone here thinks Oregon is a joke right now, but that game still scares me. BONEM!!
    There is a world in which Jimmy Lake's vaunted 3rd down D gets shredded by a QB playing lights out (Darnold 16, Mcsorely Fiesta). When that happens our offense tends to play from behind in the second half and never comes back.

The blueprint to lose the Oregon game is out there. We'd be fools not to acknowledge it.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Don't disagree, BUT...

There is a world in which Jimmy Lake's vaunted 3rd down D gets shredded by a QB playing lights out (Darnold 16, Mcsorely Fiesta). When that happens our offense tends to play from behind in the second half and never comes back.

The blueprint to lose the Oregon game is out there. We'd be fools not to acknowledge it.
    He is still perfecting the pick six - time is running out. within the next 3 weeks one is there, well, for the picking
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I watched the game again on YouTube last year. The telecast is awful. Espn stroking Nebraska with video and analysis getting the weight room and stuff. Wasn't until the third quarter when they started to acknowledge that UW was even there.

It's no wonder 3-5 years after this time period that Nebraska went off.
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

76,000 classy Nebraska fans stood as one to applaud the Washington Huskies. UW trailed 21-9 late in the third quarter but overwhelmed the Cornhuskers late for a 36-21 win on national TV. Still ranks as Stalin's favorite Husky game of all-time.

My dad was getting so worked up and pissed off during this game that my mom actually left the house. I think this was the game that made a 9 year old BeerThirty become a Husky fan for life. My #2 would be Miami in '94. I still have a VHS copy that game with Don Poier and Sonny Sixkiller on the call. Good times
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Don't disagree, BUT...

Spoiler alert:

Stanford SUCKS.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

11-0 > 9-3