Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TSiO Episode #54: Welcome to the Nadir!

Comments

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Squirt said:

6. Your critiques of UW's multiple offense are fair.

Of course, the offense's complexity is not the cause of Jake Browning throwing ducks, shitting his pants, bailing from the pocket, and throwing to defensive linemen. The OL repeatedly blocking the wrong guy has nothing to do with the complicated motions, formations, and route changes. The offense's complexity isn't what's holding back Jordan Chin and Andre Baccellia.

The offense's problems stem at least in part from the recruiting misses at OL, WR, and QB, as you rightly pointed out. You're right there is a talent problem.

But I was ready to crap all over your broader argument about Pete's multiple offense. I mean, Dante Pettis and John Ross thrived and made Jake Browning into a Heisman contender!

Then I checked the stats. Fuck, Coker is right about Boise State's slide. Boise State's scoring offense went from 1st in the country in 2009, 2nd in 2010, and 5th in 2011, to 54th in 2012 and 22nd in 2013.

I'm hoping it's just a talent thing.

I actually think is a man-of-small-stature situation. Guys like Pete are all in on the David vs. Goliath story, where the only way the smaller guy can win is to outsmart the bigger guy, because they are small guys themselves. So, just like Smiffy, Pete still favors deception and trickery way too much, when just an average OL would do just fine with his talent pool.

He's basically over-thinking the situations until the point that his downsy QB makes a costly mistake, and all the opposing teams have to do is pin their ears back, bring pressure, and wait for the offensive collapse from far too complicated play call. The prime example was the diarrhea-filled screen passes against Utah.
    Exactly.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    89ute said:

I listened last night. Thanks for podding gentlemen. It's taking me a while to crawl out of my despair. First trip to the bored, It's hard.

This forum is all too familiar with inexplicably horrifying, back-breaking losses. You should make a separate thread, I am curious your thoughts on your offense, your quarterback, and a few other things.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Doing a little more research on Pete's offense...

I haven't seen Oregon State yet this year, but Smith's OC said they were going to add elements of a spread, up-tempo offense to the multiple offense that Smith brought to OSU from Washington. I can't find a link to Lindgren's interview, but I swear it's somewhere online.

The fact that Babushka was flexible on this point is further confirmation that Pete is dictating the offense for his OCs to run. Not like we needed much more confirmation, but hey, there it is.

What is the takeaway from Boise's offensive struggles in 2012 and 2013? If you believe the Boysee boys online, Pete actually changed the offense a lot in 2012 and 2013 to use more pistol concepts from Nevada. Then when Pete's old OC, Bryan Harsin, took the reigns, Boise State went back to its old offense and did better. So maybe Pete's offense took a dip only because he added some new stuff that just didn't fit his personnel.

On the screen passes against Utah, I dunno. It's not like they were complicated or unique to Pete's offense, and screen passes are usually an effective way to counteract an aggressively blitzing defense. I think it was just FS for Bush to call one a second time when the Utah defense was obviously reading it. And Jake Browning should have just thrown the first one on the ground at Gaskin's feet instead of setting him up for an obvious loss of yards.

I say let it play out and see how Pete's offense does with a better quarterback, better receivers, and a more experienced OL, all of which the Huskies will have next year.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735

You guys have incurable PTSD if you think we are going 7-5.

Give it up, Roady. I already solved the riddle and won the thread with my short man's disease diagnosis.

The miserly DDY - who says "exactly" but doesn't chin - will confirm it.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Squirt said:

Of course, the offense's complexity is not the cause of Jake Browning throwing ducks, shitting his pants, bailing from the pocket, and throwing to defensive linemen. The OL repeatedly blocking the wrong guy has nothing to do with the complicated motions, formations, and route changes. The offense's complexity isn't what's holding back Jordan Chin and Andre Baccellia.

The offense's problems stem at least in part from the recruiting misses at OL, WR, and QB, as you rightly pointed out. You're right there is a talent problem.

But I was ready to crap all over your broader argument about Pete's multiple offense. I mean, Dante Pettis and John Ross thrived and made Jake Browning into a Heisman contender!

Then I checked the stats. Fuck, Coker is right about Boise State's slide. Boise State's scoring offense went from 1st in the country in 2009, 2nd in 2010, and 5th in 2011, to 54th in 2012 and 22nd in 2013.

I actually think it's a man-of-small-stature situation. Guys like Pete are all in on the David vs. Goliath story, where the only way the smaller guy can win is to outsmart the bigger guy, because they are small guys themselves. So, just like Smiffy, Pete still favors deception and trickery way too much, when just an average OL would do just fine with his talent pool.

He's basically over-thinking the situations until the point that his downsy QB makes a costly mistake, and all the opposing teams have to do is pin their ears back, bring pressure, and wait for the offensive collapse from far too complicated play call. The prime example were the diarrhea-filled screen passes against Utah.
    I get your viewpoint but tend to disagree

I think the bigger issues are talent and learning to play like the bully
    Tequilla said:

Squirt said:

I actually think it's a man-of-small-stature situation. Guys like Pete are all in on the David vs. Goliath story, where the only way the smaller guy can win is to outsmart the bigger guy, because they are small guys themselves. So, just like Smiffy, Pete still favors deception and trickery way too much, when just an average OL would do just fine with his talent pool.

He's basically over-thinking the situations until the point that his downsy QB makes a costly mistake, and all the opposing teams have to do is pin their ears back, bring pressure, and wait for the offensive collapse from far too complicated play call. The prime example were the diarrhea-filled screen passes against Utah.

Everyone in the Mountain West & WAC have Short Man's Disease.

Wait...You think I'm talking about their height, don't you?
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

but still...
    Tequilla said:

Squirt said:

Seriously, @Tequilla: Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, they reconcile quite nicely.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, Roady. And I hope to hear you as a guest on the HFPod before this year's apple cup, bitching about the Colfax speed traps and laughing out loud about Jimmy's cheating bitch college GF. Even my wife laughed at that portion of that infamous pod (probably heard by 3 people).
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, Roady. And I hope to hear you as a guest on the HFPod before this year's apple cup, bitching about the Colfax speed traps and laughing out loud about Jimmy's cheating bitch college GF. Even my wife laughed at that portion of that infamous pod (probably heard by 3 people).
    7-5 is a laughable take, on the same level as Dennis predicting we lose 74-0 every game.
    Even if you drop the bowl game, stanford, @oregon, you would need to lose to the coug to fulfill that prediction. It's just a really unlikely take.

9-3 is the house is burning prediction for this year. 9-4 If you count the bowl game or conf Champ game. We'll be favored every single game the rest of the ways, maybe not stanford if they light up oregon and show up undefeated to husky stadium.