Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dumber than a bag of hammers

124»

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

The 3rd party payer system is the biggest problem we have with our healthcare system. As government got more involved in healthcare taking on more of the costs that's when costs really started to explode. The graph that someone posted here in that other thread illustrated that fact nicely.

What I'd like to do is greatly expand the use of medical savings accounts so that people are contributing to them during all of their working years. Make the contributions pre-taxes, allow the money in the accounts to be invested and only allow healthcare expenditures to be made from the account. When the person dies the account is treated as a personal asset that can be willed to someone else.

If people were more directly involved with what they were paying for their healthcare you'd start to see some market pressure on price. There would be incentive to not just continue medical treatment when there little or no chance of success.

The problem with people being directly involved with what they are paying is the vast majority of medical expenses covered by insurance are not discretionary. You want to buy a car so you shop around and find the car and the price you want or you keep your old car. The medical world isn't like that. I had a kidney stone, I can't go call around for the cheapest place to get treated to find out why it feels like my kidney is giving birth.
    So the medical world couldn't advertise the prices they charge for dealing with a kidney stone? Why not?
    Because there's no market forces needed for them to do that. The only way to make that happen is through government intervention. Which you are against.
    This is beyond stupid. The changes I advocated and clearly stated would create the market forces needed to that. The government wouldn't need to intervene in order make people advertise their prices any more than the government intervenes in order make lasik providers advertise their prices.

Sometimes you need to just keep your mouth shut Hondo.
    No there are no market forces causes medical providers to advertise prices because they are not elective. Elective procedures like invisiline and plastic surgery, prices are up front and open. There's no need to advertise Cancer Care or the cost of a CT scan or whatever. Cause if you need one you need it. Now.

But keep calling me stupid. Weren't you just arguing for an end to the name calling and wanting actual discussion?
    Fucking stupid would be a better description
    It's pretty fucking stupid to believe that most medical procedures aren't elective.

It's pretty fucking stupid to expect people with the big ticket items like cancer, heart attacks and bypass surgeries are elective.
    Hondo moves the goal posts. There is a real pattern to the way you post Hondo.

Did I say all medical procedures are elective Hondo?

Did you fuck strawman ass because your initial statement blew up in your ignorant face?
    I was talking total dollars. You are using strawman ass fuck or whatever you want to call it.

My point still stands that there is no market incentive to advertise prices. Or else they'd already do it.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

The 3rd party payer system is the biggest problem we have with our healthcare system. As government got more involved in healthcare taking on more of the costs that's when costs really started to explode. The graph that someone posted here in that other thread illustrated that fact nicely.

What I'd like to do is greatly expand the use of medical savings accounts so that people are contributing to them during all of their working years. Make the contributions pre-taxes, allow the money in the accounts to be invested and only allow healthcare expenditures to be made from the account. When the person dies the account is treated as a personal asset that can be willed to someone else.

If people were more directly involved with what they were paying for their healthcare you'd start to see some market pressure on price. There would be incentive to not just continue medical treatment when there little or no chance of success.

The problem with people being directly involved with what they are paying is the vast majority of medical expenses covered by insurance are not discretionary. You want to buy a car so you shop around and find the car and the price you want or you keep your old car. The medical world isn't like that. I had a kidney stone, I can't go call around for the cheapest place to get treated to find out why it feels like my kidney is giving birth.
    So the medical world couldn't advertise the prices they charge for dealing with a kidney stone? Why not?
    Because there's no market forces needed for them to do that. The only way to make that happen is through government intervention. Which you are against.
    This is beyond stupid. The changes I advocated and clearly stated would create the market forces needed to that. The government wouldn't need to intervene in order make people advertise their prices any more than the government intervenes in order make lasik providers advertise their prices.

No there are no market forces causes medical providers to advertise prices because they are not elective. Elective procedures like invisiline and plastic surgery, prices are up front and open. There's no need to advertise Cancer Care or the cost of a CT scan or whatever. Cause if you need one you need it. Now.

But keep calling me stupid. Weren't you just arguing for an end to the name calling and wanting actual discussion?
    It's pretty fucking stupid to believe that most medical procedures aren't elective.

It's pretty fucking stupid to expect people with the big ticket items like cancer, heart attacks and bypass surgeries are elective.

Did you fuck strawman ass because your initial statement blew up in your ignorant face?
    I was talking total dollars. You are using strawman ass fuck or whatever you want to call it.

My point still stands that there is no market incentive to advertise prices. Or else they'd already do it.
    A point not in contention my reading challenged friend thus the need for a change in the system that I outlined.

Making people more directly connected to the payment of their healthcare would create the market that would encourage providers to advertise.

Do you even read the threads you comment in?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,751
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

I could write a treatise on how to be a paid political troll based solely off his "pattern".
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,639
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    pawz said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

I could write a treatise on how to be a paid political troll based solely off his "pattern".
    "pattern" just his hair.