Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I am a doog watching Gameday

2»

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I was thinking about it, with a crowded QB room Pete has to set the precedent that best man plays otherwise the politics will get too strong

Unfortunately that’s just not a thing. Keeping Browning in doesn’t give us the best chance to win, but it’s also not going to lose the locker room.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was thinking about it, with a crowded QB room Pete has to set the precedent that best man plays otherwise the politics will get too strong

Unfortunately that’s just not a thing. Keeping Browning in doesn’t give us the best chance to win, but it’s also not going to lose the locker room.
    The problem is that Pete has been so unwilling to do it before that now it's a big fucking deal if he does. Had he previously given Jake some time outs after throwing bad picks and/or struggling and then put him back in there wouldn't be so much pressure around this whole situation.

You know, like they do AT EVERY OTHER POSITION.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

dflea said:

Jake never really had to earn his starting position.

He can earn it today or he can get the fuck out.

If he plays a good game and we ? stomp Utah's ass, all the Haener talk will subside. If he plays like a fucking clown, he should expect a ride on the pine.

He can shut us all up. I mean some of us might point out that it’s against Utah, and remain unimpressed. But most doogs will jump back on the Jake wagon with a quality performance
    Browning and "quality performance" have never gone hand-in-hand.
    Yeah but still...
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,113
    Founders Club

Disagree, he about lost the team in 2016 but then they took the ball out of his hand and ran the rock.

2017 browning clearly lost the team during ASU and disappointed the rest of the way, this year it seems like it’s happening at a much faster rate.

Unbelievable how the AD and program couldn’t see it coming and shifted the focus away from browning before the season
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Wait a second...I heard that Haener earned that second string spot. Just what I'm hearing.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This is a narrative that I find interesting and 100% in play …

Browning really never had to win the job as he was the tallest midget in the room for a lack of a better way of saying it … his only real competition was Magna Carta and when we got a glimpse of him playing during Browning's freshman year at Stanford there was never any proof to suggest that he was a better option than Browning. Then we recruited Bridge-Gadd who every single time I saw him in practice looked like shit even though he should have looked better. Then last year the QB brought in was Haener who at least last year as a true freshman never looked like he was ready to play when I saw him.

This is realistically the first time that UW has had a QB on the roster that could play in place of Browning and the expectation that the team wouldn't go materially backwards. In fact, at least to some there's a realistic shot that Haener may be an upgrade.

Then you get the dynamic in place where you look at the roster and where the talent is. The last 2 recruiting classes has seen this program materially level up. The class that we're expecting to sign in 2019 is further leveling up. The alphas that had been in the program in previous classes are now largely out of the program. What remains is largely a lot of guys that are more leading by example types. Specifically on offense, Browning aside, you have Myles who is a lead by example guy, Trey who is injured, and Kaleb who is probably the most vocal leader on the offense from an upperclass standpoint. You've got guys like Jaxson Kirkland beating out more established players. On defense, you have some upperclass talent with guys like Gaines, Jaylen, Tevis, and the secondary. The defense isn't where the problem is ... it's on offense.

So what it comes down to me is two-fold. You have a defense that is doing their job but has been hung out to drive by Browning in most losses. The ASU game last year wasn't really on the defense. While I've called out the defense for the Auburn game this year giving up the TD at the end, the reality is giving up 21 points to Auburn is perfectly acceptable. There were some issues against Stanford last year (including injuries) but also really hurt by the fact that for the better part of a quarter and a half Browning's offense gave the defense NOTHING to work with. Go back to 2016 and the defensive performance against Alabama was definitely good enough to win and same with USC. In the 29 games since the start of the 2016 season, the defense has given up 30 or more points only 3 times with a high of only 35. In the way that college football is today, that's perfectly acceptable (in comparison over that time period, Alabama has given up 3 games of 30+ and Clemson 5 times).

So yes, Browning's at a crossroads moment today and depending on the outcome today Petersen's on the hot seat staring at it as early as tomorrow. Whether fairly or unfairly, as a QB you are a leader of a team. As a leader, a fundamental is that you can't ask of others what you don't do yourself. Browning's propensity to underwhelm in these spots makes it difficult to impossible for him to hold his teammates accountable and can easily lead to dissention if he tries as it's hypocritical as fuck. In a sport where the spirit of competition comes on each play, your teammates know quickly if you can't deliver results. So the question for Browning is simple ... can he deliver results or is he just the guy that talks a good game and delivers the bare minimum but when pressed with stretch assignments and goals starts looking around for people to take the fall for him?
  • Options
    Avatarsare4fagsAvatarsare4fags Member Posts: 125
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Hopefully Petermen...ahem..Hamdan calls short passing plays early so the QB can gain some confidence early. You know like Malzahn did with Stidham. That shit helps
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

got the beer. decided I'm not gonna read all that anyway.

I lol'ed
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2018

Jake has clearly earned the second string spot
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

dflea said:

Jake never really had to earn his starting position.

He can earn it today or he can get the fuck out.

If he plays a good game and we ? stomp Utah's ass, all the Haener talk will subside. If he plays like a fucking clown, he should expect a ride on the pine.

He can shut us all up. I mean some of us might point out that it’s against Utah, and remain unimpressed. But most doogs will jump back on the Jake wagon with a quality performance
    I don't see any doogs off the wagon, bruh