Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is 9mm the Toyota Camry of handgun calibers?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

#Team40

You have habitual compromising disorder.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Quite honestly, I couldn't watch past the three "I gotta be honest with you's" in the first 40 seconds.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2018

Quite honestly, I couldn't watch past the three "I gotta be honest with you's" in the first 40 seconds.

He's a pretty yuge dork but I laffed
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,655
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The 1911 and the 45ACP The most proven combat handgun and caliber in the universe.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

The 1911 and the 45ACP The most proven combat handgun and caliber in the universe.

It's amazing how many fans they both have and how many detractors. I tend to think if it was good enough for the army from 1911 to 1986 it can't suck.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Sledog said:

It's amazing how many fans they both have and how many detractors. I tend to think if it was good enough for the army from 1911 to 1986 it can't suck.
    If I remember the lore correctly, the cartridge and gun was invented for the express purpose of killing drug-adled natives, namely Filipinos.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

If I remember the lore correctly, the cartridge and gun was invented for the express purpose of killing drug-adled natives, namely Filipinos.
    ISAFNRC
  • Options

Sledog said:

Partially correct. It was invented because the issued .38 Long Colt revolvers didn't stop the Moro tribesmen, who were indeed drugged up, during the Philippine insurrection. Colt single action army revolvers in .45 Colt were pulled from storage and issued. They knocked dicks in the dirt in reliable fashion. Afterward the Thompson Lagarde study, which used cadavers to gauge effectiveness of the bullets tested, determined the new service pistol should be of .45 caliber. Saint John Browning invented the the 1911 after a few earlier models to and the rest is history. IIRC 7 congressional medals of honor were earned by soldiers while using the 1911. Sgt. Alvin York being one of them.

"the Board was of the opinion that a bullet, which will have the shock effect and stopping effect at short ranges necessary for a military pistol or revolver, should have a caliber not less than .45. ... None of the full-jacketed or metal-patch bullets (all of which were less than cal. . 45) showed the necessary shock effect or stopping power for a service weapon. ...

We are not acquainted with any bullet fired from a hand weapon that will stop a determined enemy when the projectile traverses soft parts alone. The requirements of such a bullet would need to have a sectional area like that of a 3-inch solid shot the recoil from which when used in hand weapons would be prohibitive. ...

Finally the Board reached the conclusion that the only safeguard at close encounters is a well-directed rapid fire from nothing less than a .45-caliber weapon. With this end in view soldiers should be drilled to fire at moving targets until they have attained proficiency as marksmen."
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

The Marines are transistioning back to the .45. Take a look at the M45A1 CQBP, it’s a thing of beauty.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    You could always just get the girl gun I just bought, which is chambered in .357 Magnum, and not worry about any of this bullshit. Or, fuck it, just get a 10MM with hot loads and have 16 rounds of cannon.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

You could always just get the girl gun I just bought, which is chambered in .357 Magnum, and not worry about any of this bullshit. Or, fuck it, just get a 10MM with hot loads and have 16 rounds of cannon.

10MM is a vicious animal. Gotta love it.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

I carried a 10mm for several years. Good stuff and much better than the .40 Short and Weak.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2018
    USMChawk said:

Sledog said:

The Marines are transistioning back to the .45. Take a look at the M45A1 CQBP, it’s a thing of beauty.
    Great looking gun. 1911's have always been the best looking auto-loaders.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,579
    edited September 2018
    Swaye said:

did u get the pink one
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

did u get the pink one
    What else? I added custom sparkles.