Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Peterson's shrinking balls a growing concern?

Comments

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

What if Petersen came to Washington specifically because he doesn't have balls and knew this was a D 1 payday where no one actually gives a shit about winning big?

Chew on that

He didn't want the Oregon job because there would be expectations.

That's an interesting poont.
    So Cristoball should be gone after going for less than 10 wins this year with a soft as charmin schedule then right?
    Not what I was saying at all and Oregon was a different program in 2012 than it was in 2017. Slingblade shit all over the mattress.

What I am saying is Oregon was coming off of three conference titles in four years, NC game, multi BCS games, and had a sure fire playoff roster when Petersen was offered the job and said no because he didn't want to have to live up to the expectations.

Then a few years later he takes over a UW program that hasn't won in ages and the fan base had mostly lost interest.

If Cristobal isn't pushing for the playoffs in November of his fifth year the fan base is going to be fucking livid. UW's fan base isn't going to really care because there has only been one good season in the last 20.

Race has a point. Peterman turned down the Ferrari for a Toyota Camry.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sometimes in football it's better to be lucky than good. The glorious 2016 campaign was almost over before it started, but Jake got lucky and tore up the script in OT to beat Arizona. What if the ball bounces our way one more time against Auburn and we convert one of those red zone opportunities into 7 more pts? Would Jake somehow be a better QB because he got lucky and we won? Would the program somehow be a better place because we finally got the marque non-con win?

We have a chance at a truly special season. No. Yes.

Edited: I do actually think Jake might be a better QB with that win. It might have gotten that monkey of "not good enough to win it big" off of his back. Now it's ingrained.
    Yes, we did have a chance to do something truly speshial. It was a coin flip game that didn't work out. So be it.

Speaking of risk taking: scheduling games like this is the very definition of taking risks for the bigger reward.
    The why it didn't work out is important though. It's not because we had some flukey football shit happen or something with a high level of variance. It's because Jake performed in a manner that consistently sabotaged the success of the rest of the team.

I can accept a loss to a good team on some statistical randomness. It's a lot tougher to accept a game we should have won by all of the football play except at one position.

ex. the random bounce of an out of character fumble vs. the super in character throwing a pick straight to the defense
    Look, UWDB, I don't disagree with any of your poonts here. The oft stated cliché around (shout out to @Dennis_DeYoung ) is that Pete is doing about 95% really well here and 5% FS. The shitty QB play from a 4 year starter is in the 5% and it's fair game to criticize Pete on this. I suppose I've just reached the point of bashing Browning fatigue and would rather just change the subject when it comes up. I still think a Pac title is well within reach weather Jake or Jake starts and I'd rather focus on the 95% that makes me happy.
    Like I said, I'm tired of Jake being the scapegoat too. Winners win. This team SHOULD win the Pac12 regardless of Jake. No excuses.

Jakes bad but he's not some next level of bad that torpedoes the rest of the talent on the team. If he is that bad and you are allowing him to torpedo the whole team then that's not on Jake that's on the coaches.

That means you are higher than 5% FS. That means I really do start to wonder if Petermen can win a Natty here which in turn leads to the question, are you willing to have a "good" coach that can win against inferior talent but can't win it big at UW? If I told you we can win the Pac12 1/3 years and occasionally a NY6 but nothing more is that good enough?

Don't twist, I'm not there yet but if Jake/coaching fucks our season again and we lose the North I'm going to be wondering at these things.
    The minimum bar to judge Pete on is DJ- i.e., win the Pac once every three years, and always be playing football games that matter in November. DJ took 9 17 years to win his NT. Dabo took 8.5. Where in year 5 of Pete. It's way to early to start making judgments as to whether or not he can win a NT or let along match DJ's level of success.
    Hey, I still think Pete is on the right track long term but to quote an economist, "We're all dead in the long term."

We all know the on the field success is lagging all the other metrics like recruiting right now but how many other fan bases do we make fun of for that same trope? 2019 2020 2021 [Fill in the blank] could be special. At what point do we have to have a special season and not just the future hope of one?

Nut up and win the PAC12 and a rosebowl this year. It's tim.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-college-football-teams-do-the-most-with-the-least-talent-and-vice-versa/

That's only for 2015-2016...which no one denied we were outperforming ourselves in 2016.

Got a fupdate to include last year?
    I grabbed that one because I was in a hurry but I've seen others that include 2017 data and the result is still the same- i.e., Pete is still way outperforming on the field vs the level of talent in the program. Last year was a disgrace and we still went 7-2 in the conference.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

What if Petersen came to Washington specifically because he doesn't have balls and knew this was a D 1 payday where no one actually gives a shit about winning big?

Chew on that

So Cristoball should be gone after going for less than 10 wins this year with a soft as charmin schedule then right?
    Not what I was saying at all and Oregon was a different program in 2012 than it was in 2017. Slingblade shit all over the mattress.

What I am saying is Oregon was coming off of three conference titles in four years, NC game, multi BCS games, and had a sure fire playoff roster when Petersen was offered the job and said no because he didn't want to have to live up to the expectations.

Then a few years later he takes over a UW program that hasn't won in ages and the fan base had mostly lost interest.

If Cristobal isn't pushing for the playoffs in November of his fifth year the fan base is going to be fucking livid. UW's fan base isn't going to really care because there has only been one good season in the last 20.

So you're saying Pete didn't want to Bear Down?
  • Options
    DeepDawgDeepDawg Member Posts: 544
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I trust the coaches balls
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I'm surprised you fucktards are surprised the play calling still sucks.

I'm even more surprised anyone would even think Peterman is considering swapping out Jake for Jake.

Browning is here until he graduates or gets broken.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Chew on that

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Chew on that

Pete made the playoffs his third year. Giving Cristobal 5 hardly shows tuffer expectations

Oregon is a piece of shit not a Ferrari. Hope this helps
    Cute, but you know that isn't true. If you lose in Eugene this year you've already lost the war again.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

Chew on that

Pete made the playoffs his third year. Giving Cristobal 5 hardly shows tuffer expectations

Oregon is a piece of shit not a Ferrari. Hope this helps
    Cute, but you know that isn't true. If you lose in Eugene this year you've already lost the war again.
    Please keep Cristoballz for five years. Prayingdoog.gif
  • Options
    Jack_CobraJack_Cobra Member Posts: 246
    Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    After the SJSU scrimmage, 70regon is going to drop four in a row and will then have to travel down to Tuscon to play a "must game win" with "bowl prospects on the line".
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

After the SJSU scrimmage, 70regon is going to drop four in a row and will then have to travel down to Tuscon to play a "must game win" with "bowl prospects on the line".

They’re not dropping four straight.

*Must win game
  • Options
    SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Here's what Pete said about Jake Browning during the first episode of this season's Chris Petersen Show:

“I mean, he just does so many things… I think a lot of people, if they knew what was going on with our offense, and the things that he checks, the plays he checks in and out. And you know, they just see him throw the ball. That’s one little aspect, one big aspect of the game that he does. But he’s changing protections for us, he’s changing routes, he’s changing runs. Now, he’s very directed on how to do that. It’s not just pulling things out of the air. But a lot of guys can’t handle this much in college, and he can. And so he’s phenomenal. He’s tough. There’s nobody who works harder. He’s what we’re all about.

"Can he better? Yeah. Can everybody on this roster get better? Yes, we think they have an upside. He just happens to play that position that’s under this microscope, that is just going to be picked apart. Hey, that’s the nature of being in the arena. And fortunately for us, he’s tough enough to handle anything that anybody can throw at him and just pay attention to what he needs to focus on.”

Pete's interview should enrage people on multiple levels:

1. Pete tacitly admits that his offense is so complicated that few quarterbacks can do it, and he's willing to overlook mediocre arm talent if the dude can run such a complex offense.

2. Jake Browning has authority to change and check out of run plays.

3. Pete thinks Browning is tough.

4. Pete thinks Browning is an OKG.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Agree

Petersen should be fired for that explanation

Dumb it down and get a player in there

Simplicity wins.

Unless you're a coach who believes his own press clippings.